Mr.Beer Community
sudsforlife

Toasted Coconut Porter

I had a great day as I bottled a toasted coconut porter at 5.1%  and  I got 50 bottles form the 5 gallon batch.Now to let it condition.

• Like 2

Sounds interesting....let us know how it turns out....is this a ag recipe? What did you use for the toasted coconut taste?

I think JoshR would have suggested you soak the toasted coconut in vodka instead to make a tincture.

Yes, you could add the coconut after a week fermenting, or you could add it as a tincture. Either way, you should be aware that coconut contains oils that tend to kill head retention. Head retention on a porter probably isn't that important, but it's something to keep in mind. One way to reduce this would be to cold crash before bottling. This will cause the extra oils to harden on the surface, leaving them behind as you bottle.

• Like 4

So how do you do a tincture as I have never heard of this? Thanks for any info. ;)  

Place your toasted ginger in a small jar, add just enough vodka to cover it, close the lid, shake daily for about a week or 2 (the longer the better). Then add the vodka AND coconut to the batch after the 1st week of fermentation. This will extract the MOST flavor and aroma without having to use bottled extracts.

• Like 4

I made a coconut porter starting with the deluxe porter refill last Spring. Toasted about 6-8 oz of coconut flakes (can't remember exactly, it was one package from a gourmet food store, don't use the coconut that has sugar or other things added), toast in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes on a baking sheet, put in a muslin sack and placed it in the LBK for 3 weeks. 

Came out very nice and will be redoing this again in the next few weeks (just bought the coconut last week).

The recipe I came up with was based on googling others attempts at making a coconut porter. Obviously there are many ways to do it. 

I really love the Maui Brewing Company's Coconut Porter and tried to mimic it. I was fortunate enough to take a tour of their brewery last summer and they said they toast their coconut for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. They also said they are constantly tweaking their recipe for this and their other brews, which I found fascinating. Coke and Bud don't do that, I am sure. BTW, they also mention that the Coconut flavor tends to wane over time and the porter is more coconuty if you drink it in Hawaii compared to on the mainland where it may have been on store shelves for a while. This sounds correct, because it seemed particularly tasty there compared to having a can of it in California, but maybe I was just in a happy vacation sort of mood.

• Like 3

I tried the toasted coconut porter yesterday and it's a keeper. Very smooth and tasty and nice head when poured.

• Like 1

Reviving this old thread because I am now attempting to make a coconut porter.  I brewed the American Porter HME with 1 pack of Booster 9 days ago (Feb. 7).  I used Safale S-05 yeast, pitched at 66 degrees.  It has been fermenting in a temp-controlled mini fridge at 64 degrees.  It had good foam starting after about 12 hours, and then I didn't check it again until yesterday morning.  It still (yesterday and today) has a good inch or so of foam at the top.  I have about 10 oz. of toasted coconut that has been soaking (shaken daily) in vodka for about 3 weeks, as Josh recommended above.

My question is: Should I add the coconut now, on top of the foam, or wait for the krausen to drop?

• Like 1

I brewed a coconut Porter about 2 yrs ago.I used a Mr. Beer Porter.1 # dark dme,and 1/2 oz. Fuggles hops @ boil. After 14 days I added 2 oz. of McCormicks Coconut

flavoring via the airlock hole.(I use the old Mr. Beer 2 gallon Smoky yellow colored fermenter /w airlock for batches where I need to add flavorings.) This beer, turned out really good. Dark ,Malty,and a midranged coconut taste that was upfront with every sip. I really enjoyed it.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2015 at 1:14 PM, Vakko said:

I think JoshR would have suggested you soak the toasted coconut in vodka instead to make a tincture.

Hi,

Do you add the tincture to the beer at bottling time? 

30 minutes ago, trosefl said:

Hi,

Do you add the tincture to the beer at bottling time? 

a week before bottling ....

I have a 2 gallon batch.  I created the toasted coconut Tincture.  Any recommendation on the amount to add for a subtle coconut flavor.

On 2/6/2017 at 11:10 AM, HoppySmile! said:

always wanted to try an almond joy beer recipe, favorite candy bar

As crazy as beer is getting, I'm surprised that you can't find one out there some where.  

Brewing with cereal, bacon, and Doritos!!!  What's next? -- Hops, barley, wheat, and malt??!! ;)

• Like 3

I am reviving this thread as I am about to make the Coopers recipe - Toasted Island Coconut Porter

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/island-toasted-coconut-porter.html

Before I get started, I have some questions as I am a new brewer and this will be my first time trying anything other than the standard cans:

1) The grains I got from Coopers are uncracked.  The recipe says to use a rolling pin, but that doesn't seem like it will ensure that I get all of the grains.  Alternatively, my local home brew store (who would not crack the grains for me) said that I could use a blender.  But that seemed like it would cause the opposite problem and would disintegrate the grains.

2) I understand that I do not have to sanitize muselin bags if they are going to be steeped because the boiled water will sanitize them anyway.  But what about the bag that will have the coconut and will go directly into the wort after fermentation has started?  This one has to be sanitized, right?  What is the best way to sanitize the bag, but then handle it to put the toasted coconut inside?

3) When I toast the coconut, do I sanitize the baking sheet that will go into the oven?

4) The recipe says to bottle for at least 4 weeks.  I have sen several other porter recipes that call for 3-4 months in the bottle before tasting.  This is a wide range, so I don't know what is accurate.

4 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

I am reviving this thread as I am about to make the Coopers recipe - Toasted Island Coconut Porter

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/island-toasted-coconut-porter.html

Before I get started, I have some questions as I am a new brewer and this will be my first time trying anything other than the standard cans:

1) The grains I got from Coopers are uncracked.  The recipe says to use a rolling pin, but that doesn't seem like it will ensure that I get all of the grains.  Alternatively, my local home brew store (who would not crack the grains for me) said that I could use a blender.  But that seemed like it would cause the opposite problem and would disintegrate the grains.

2) I understand that I do not have to sanitize muselin bags if they are going to be steeped because the boiled water will sanitize them anyway.  But what about the bag that will have the coconut and will go directly into the wort after fermentation has started?  This one has to be sanitized, right?  What is the best way to sanitize the bag, but then handle it to put the toasted coconut inside?

3) When I toast the coconut, do I sanitize the baking sheet that will go into the oven?

4) The recipe says to bottle for at least 4 weeks.  I have sen several other porter recipes that call for 3-4 months in the bottle before tasting.  This is a wide range, so I don't know what is accurate.

1) A rolling pin is the correct method.  

2) Yes, the coconut bag must be sanitized before adding the coconut.  Put it in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes.  Let it cool, remove with sanitized tongs and put on sanitized plate.  Put in toasted coconut, tie with sanitized string, gently place into fermenter.

3) No.

4) 4 weeks, put ONE bottle in the frig for 3 days, then taste it.  If it's good, put more in.  If it needs more time, give them more time.

• Like 1