Recipe Bitterness97 IBUAlcohol by Volume9.3%
Recipe Color12° SRMAlcohol by Weight7.3%

Ingredients

QuantityGrainTypeUse
1.00 lbBriess DME - Bavarian Wheat (65%/35%)ExtractExtract
1.00 lbBriess LME - Traditional DarkExtractExtract
2.86 lbMr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - HMEExtractExtract
QuantityHopTypeTime
0.50 ozCentennial - High alpha with floral and citrus, dual use hop for American alesPellet0 minutes
1.00 ozCascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American alesPellet0 minutes
0.50 ozCascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American alesPellet2 minutes
0.25 ozFalconer's Flight - Proprietary blend of the Northwest's most unique hop varietiesPellet7 minutes
0.25 ozFalconer's Flight - Proprietary blend of the Northwest's most unique hop varietiesPellet15 minutes
1.00 ozMr. Beer Northwest Pale AlePellet5 minutes
0.25 ozWarrior -Bittering aromatic properties due to its low cohumulone contentPellet60 minutes
0.25 ozWarrior -Bittering aromatic properties due to its low cohumulone contentPellet45 minutes
0.25 ozZythos - Special blen of very popular hop varieties lending notes of citrus, floral, black currant, berries and pine and very prominent hop bite.Pellet30 minutes
0.25 ozZythos - Special blen of very popular hop varieties lending notes of citrus, floral, black currant, berries and pine and very prominent hop bite.Pellet20 minutes
QuantityMiscNotes
1.00 unitSafale S-05 Dry Ale YeastYeastAmerican: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Recipe Notes

Dry hop 1oz Cascade for 14 days.(edit--1oz not 0.5oz)
Dry hop 0.5oz Centennial for 7 days.

Batch Notes

• Like 3

I'm not sure that's going to hit 1.096 but otherwise save me one.

I'm good with 1.090.  But those are the numbers that Qbrew spit out.

How much do hops change the OG?

They don't. Hops have no effect on gravity.

I'm making it this weekend.  So it should be ready in 4ish weeks?  I haven't figured how long it takes for IPA's just yet.  I know that Turncoat IPL was ready at 4 weeks...  but this having way more malt, I'm not sure.

I just bottled my American Black Ale (aka Dark Cascadian) this past weekend.  It has similar OG but the IBU is around 60 I think.  So this weekend will be 4 weeks.  We'll see.  I tasted it during bottling and it was the most amazing flat beer I've ever tasted lol.

If you look at the CAL+ recipe I posted it's also a heavy batch. Not as his high an ABV as yours but still more than a standard Mr. Beer refill. If my FG results are the same at day 19 and 21 shouldn't yours also be the same at 21 days? Do you plan on racking to a secondary after three weeks just to get the beer off the heavy layer of trub and let it finish or am I totally off base?

Also looks like you will need about 10 weeks bottle conditioning from your OG numbers.

If you look at the CAL+ recipe I posted it's also a heavy batch. Not as his high an ABV as yours but still more than a standard Mr. Beer refill. If my FG results are the same at day 19 and 21 shouldn't yours also be the same at 21 days? Do you plan on racking to a secondary after three weeks just to get the beer off the heavy layer of trub and let it finish or am I totally off base?

Also looks like you will need about 10 weeks bottle conditioning from your OG numbers.

Yup.  But I cold crash at day 18.  I'm using 11g of yeast so it should be plenty done by then.

I just made a huge beer and let it stay on the trub all 3 weeks it tastes amazing flat.  So I'm not going to go secondary.  I only use a bottling bucket when fruit is involved.

So you would think 10 week condition.  But because the style of this beer one similar to an IPA, you have to drink it young.  Otherwise, the freshness from the dry hop dissipates.  The problem is: did the malts develop enough before you consume it?  I put all of my Turncoat IPL in the fridge after 1 week condition.  Luckily, I just bottled my ABA with similar FG, so I test it at 1 week and see if it needs another or if it's gtg.

Ahhh... Gotcha. You will definitely have to update the progress of this batch. I'm a huge fan of IPAs..

Ahhh... Gotcha. You will definitely have to update the progress of this batch. I'm a huge fan of IPAs..

I'm not a huge fan.  But in my quest to make everything, I thought I would try.  And it looks like it will be a blast to make.  I'm sure my house will smell amazingly :)

• Like 1

Way outside where my brewing skills are as of yet!  One question.  The Zythos hops, adding at 30 and 20 minutes.  What is the thought behind that,  A mixture of Taste and Bitter, kinda the sweet-spot between the two at 30min?  Same question with the Warrior Hops, what does the 45 min addition get you that the 60 doesn't?  Is .25 oz of warrior at 45 min and .25 oz of Warrior at 60 min the same as about .4 oz at 60 min or does it not work that way?  I am just starting to understand hop additions, so anything outside of the 10 min aroma, 20 min taste, 60 minute bitter is a learning moment for me.   

The chart below shows you the difference that time makes.  Max aroma is at 7.5 minutes, max flavor around ~20 minutes, max bitterness around 100 minutes (but little difference from 60 on).

If you use a hop that is supposed to add aroma (as opposed to bitterness or flavor), and boil it for 20 minutes, you won't get much aroma impact.

46323.jpg

• Like 1

Way outside where my brewing skills are as of yet!  One question.  The Zythos hops, adding at 30 and 20 minutes.  What is the thought behind that,  A mixture of Taste and Bitter, kinda the sweet-spot between the two at 30min?  Same question with the Warrior Hops, what does the 45 min addition get you that the 60 doesn't?  Is .25 oz of warrior at 45 min and .25 oz of Warrior at 60 min the same as about .4 oz at 60 min or does it not work that way?  I am just starting to understand hop additions, so anything outside of the 10 min aroma, 20 min taste, 60 minute bitter is a learning moment for me.   

Look at the chart that Rick posted...

Varying the times that you boil 1 type of hop will build different types of flavor as well as vary the amounts of bitter that you get.

.4oz of warrior at 60 will be about the same amount of bitter as what I'm doing, however, you get zero flavor that you would get from that .25oz at 45min.  While small, its still a little bit that will build the hop profile.

Overlapping times gives more influence to a set of flavors/aromas.

Could I do 1 hop for 60min, another hop for 20min, another at 7min, and another for the dry hop?  Absolutely.  But I wanted there to be flavors/aromas from multiple hops with varying degrees of strength.

Is this a finished product?  Hell no!  I haven't even brewed it.  It could be terrible.  But boil warrior for 70 minutes, insert zythos for 20, and dry hop cascade seemed boring and too easy.

• Like 1