Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdrake

Ranking Your Top 3 Mr. Beer Recipes

How about starting a thread where you rank your Top 3 Favorite Mr. Beer recipes.  One rule:  Must be a straight Mr. Beer recipe without any tinkering or modifications.

Here's mine:

1). Big Red One:  This one came out perfect.  It has an ideal mouth feel with a balance between body and bubbles.  Great head.  A hoppy taste that isn't too strong and a nice reddish color.  This is a complete winner!  I'll definitely make this one again.

2). Belgian Spiced Ale:  The spices come through just right.  You can taste them, but they don't overwhelm.  Nice body.  Nice head.  A very balanced taste.  I wish they'd make this a full-time refill and not a seasonal.

3). Mad Ludwig's Marzen:  I like this one and it came out very good.

• Like 2

1. Turncoat IPL
  2. Raspberry Wheat
  3. Uncle Monkey's Dunkel

I have Sutter's Gold in week 1 conditioning so it could bump off #3

• Like 1

I was thinking about a very similar post just today, but focused mainly on letting people rank their favorite HME's in order.  I have only tried about 3 of them so far so am curious what other people's opinion on the HME's are.  I would have thought a poll/vote like this already exists, but if so I have not found it yet.

I was thinking about a very similar post just today, but focused mainly on letting people rank their favorite HME's in order.  I have only tried about 3 of them so far so am curious what other people's opinion on the HME's are.  I would have thought a poll/vote like this already exists, but if so I have not found it yet.

You could probably ask MrBeer which HME they sell the most of.

• Like 1

Yeah, I see other recipes not coming up on the search too but still on the web site, please like to have them all on view.

JOSH.....MR.BEER.........You may be missing some sales here.

e.g. Turncoat IPL

http://www.mrbeer.com/turncoat-ipl-recipe

But try searching for it or finding it under recipe/NW Pale.   :-/

Yeah, I see other recipes not coming up on the search too but still on the web site, please like to have them all on view.

e.g. Turncoat IPL

There's no point in fixing this website when we're unveiling the new one any day now. ;)

• Like 2

e.g. Turncoat IPL

Turncoat isn't available because they don't have the Zythos hops needed for it  :angry:

Zythos%20-%20Color%20JPG.jpg

• Like 1

e.g. Turncoat IPL

That one says "In Stock" and "Not Currently Available."  Josh must be hoarding it for himself.

Sugar on top IPA

Kt's caramel apple Graff (actually its tough to choose)

Nilla porter

I wish sot IPA was a regular recipe choice, I only have two left.

• Like 1

I'm Old School...Old Mr Beer:

Rose's Rambling Red

Johnny Silks ESB

First Pitch Pilsner

• Like 1

I'm Old School...Old Mr Beer:

Rose's Rambling Red

Johnny Silks ESB

First Pitch Pilsner

I used to mess up all my MrB recipes years ago.  Almost cost me this hobby.  I would get a recipe and think "I should add caramel ice cream topping to this!"

So I have no real concept of any of the older ones being good or not, tbh.

• Like 2

Assuming you mean current recipes, sdrake, some of the old ones were outstanding (Snowdrift Dark, Sticky Wicket, Firecracker Red come to mind). Very tough call, but currently:

1) Uncle Monkey's Dunkel- so smooth, very tasty

2) Shiver Me Timbers- surprisingly excellent

3) 1776- love the Liberty hops in this one.

Let me just add, I SO want to brew up a batch of Novacaine! All the reviews & posts I've seen about it rave how good it is. Kinda pricey even jusy for ingredients alone & conditioning time seems like forever.. but it may make the list next year.

Turncoat isn't available because they don't have the Zythos hops needed for it  :angry:

The Zythos are coming back. ;)

• Like 1

Let me just add, I SO want to brew up a batch of Novacaine! All the reviews & posts I've seen about it rave how good it is. Kinda pricey even jusy for ingredients alone & conditioning time seems like forever.. but it may make the list next year.

I bought Novacaine and will brew it up this summer.

I just put my very first batch of beer in the fridge for cold-crashing, MB's Klondike Gold. So, it's #1 on my list, even though I haven't even drank any yet (still over a month away for that!)

I am brewing Novacaine tonight, but my next batch is the Diablo IPA with some steeping grains & a little DME added in, so it won't make this list. I will be brewing Albert's Atomic Altbier soon, and Rose's Rambling Red as well as the Hop-Head Red at some point.

ive got Belgian spiced ale, Jamaica mon, monkey's dunkel, and fat tire conditioning so I dnt know yet. but the northwest ipa was pretty darn good. can't wait for the California deamin, its smails sooo good!

Sorry ,all of my favorites are all tinkered with versions.

I can you  my least favorite are the $50+ recipes were they suggest mixing 2 or3 cans of  HME for one LBK. I have never mixed two or more cans of HME and don't plan on it.

One HME is enough as a base for any 2 gallon recipe . Especially if your steeping grains, adding adjuncts, LME or DME, and hops

Another reason is because no one really knows what's in each HME.

Hey, wait a minute, that would be a nice thing to tell MB brewers-WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN MB's HMEs ?! I mean come on now they have a patent we can't clone them and sell them?

Josh any help?

Sorry, all my favorites are tinkered with.

I can tell you my least favorite are the $50 recipes with 2 or 3 cans of HME I have never mixed HMEs and I don't plan on it.

If I'm already steeping grains, adding DME,LME and hops one HME is plenty. Besides nobody really knows what in any of the HMEs do we?

Come on now that would be a great piece of information for any MB brewer WHAT ARE THE MB HME INGREDIENTS ? They're patented so we can't sell them. So what are they?

Josh any help?

I listed it twice in hopes of finding out what the ingredients are!

• Like 1

Apple beery.

Baa (idc bot recipe its awsome)

Diablo ipa honorable mention

Sorry, all my favorites are tinkered with.

I can tell you my least favorite are the $50 recipes with 2 or 3 cans of HME I have never mixed HMEs and I don't plan on it.

If I'm already steeping grains, adding DME,LME and hops one HME is plenty. Besides nobody really knows what in any of the HMEs do we?

Come on now that would be a great piece of information for any MB brewer WHAT ARE THE MB HME INGREDIENTS ? They're patented so we can't sell them. So what are they?

Josh any help?

Mr Beer sent me the recipes for all their HME's, but unfortunately they asked me not to share them. :)

Barley and hops.

This is outrageous.  Everyone knows that some brews have wheat malt, not barley.  And, more importantly, it is widely know that Mr. Beer HMEs are comprised of hops and barley (or wheat), not the other way around.

Wow Josh, talk about misleading us...   :lol:

• Like 2

Irish Stout (although I batch primed with coffee and cane sugar)

Oktoberfest

Belgian Spiced (even tho' I just bottled it yesterday, it tasted great flat)

Agreed, tasting the dregs of Spiced Belgian when bottling it tasted good, and warming too.

• Like 1

Not enough tenure to have a top three but I will declare a clear favorite to date:

Horses Ass Pale Ale

1. Columbus Cascade Amber Ale (brewed this one 4 times)

2. Rockets Red Glare

3. That Voodoo You Do

I am bottle conditioning the 1776 ale right now and I am waiting patiently to try it!  Think I might order the Pumpkin lager to brew now and by fall it should be perfect.

1.   Dark Winter Ale with 3/4 Amber DME added.

2.   Bewitched Amber Ale with 3/4 lb Golden DME added.

3.   Aztec Cerveza with 1 lb Pilsen DME and hops added.

Barley and hops.

Will be bottling my rice syrup solids beer this weekend.  Bittered with Sorachi Ace.

• Like 1