Mr.Beer Community
Bachma0507

2nd batch - temperature issue

I'm brewing up my second batch of beer since getting my Mr Beer kit as a gift for Christmas. First batch was awesome. Just started the fermentation process this past Sunday. Yesterday (Monday) I got home and my a/c was blowing warm air and the temperature in the house was 85 degrees. Btw, I live in Florida and it's already summer. I checked the thermometer on the fermenter which goes up to 78 degrees and it was not even registering. Today I got the a/c fixed and its cool again. Should I be worried that the temperature was too high for one day? Will that mess up my batch?

You want the temperature of the wort, not of the house, not to exceed 76.  If it got warmer than that, and it was at peak fermentation, you may have some off flavors.

In Florida, many use a cooler and rotate frozen water bottles to keep the temp down.

• Like 2

Get a small refrigerator and an stc1000 controller and you wont have that problem. Or you could get a 48qt camping cooler and rotate coleman ice packs but it can get a bit laborious.

You might have a solvent smell/taste when you drink it.

That's the thing, the temperature of the wort was higher than 78 degrees when it should be between 68 and 72. I keep the fermenter in a nice cool room where the temp never goes over 72 when the a/c works as it should. I keep my house pretty cool. I'm hoping having the wort above 78 degrees for just one day after starting the fermenting process wouldn't hurt the taste.

You're not understanding....Even if you have the room at 72F the wort inside can be up to 8 degrees warmer than the ambient air. Especially during high krausen.

The smallest I could find that would accommodate an lbk plus 1 gallon big mouth is 4 cubic feet. Just make sure you insulate the freezer part inside and tape the probe to the LBK using a piece of foam or several folded sheets of paper towels to insulate it from the air.

You're not understanding....Even if you have the room at 72F the wort inside can be up to 8 degrees warmer than the ambient air. Especially during high krausen.

Yes, I have a thermometer attached to the fermenter, that's how I know the temperature of the wort inside the fermenter. I was just assuming the ambient temperature will have some effect on the wort.

Ambient will of course have some impact on the wort temperature, but the fermentation reaction is exothermic, it makes its own heat, and is particularly active the first week during high krausen.  So if the room is 72, the LBK stick on thermometer could read 74, but the core of the LBK could be 78, generating its own heat which dissipates as it radiates outward (this temperature dissipation rate is dependent upon ambient temperature), but still possibly creating off flavors.

You want the temperature of the wort, not of the house, not to exceed 76.  If it got warmer than that, and it was at peak fermentation, you may have some off flavors.

In Florida, many use a cooler and rotate frozen water bottles to keep the temp down.

+1 on the cooler, that's what I use in here Louisiana. It requires a little more effort than a refrigerator and it's not as precise, but it's cheap, portable, and uses no electricity. I've actually had to make sure mine didn't get too cold on occasion, but I don't anticipate that being a problem in, say, mid-August. 

I'll probably try the cooler out first. I told my wife about getting a small refrigerator and she reminded me that during the summer we tend to get numerous power outages. More work involved with using a cooler, but at least I would not have to worry about a/c or power issues.

I have 3-4 lbks in rotation at any one time..it is not that laborious to change out frozen water bottles in my 3 -  48 quart igloo coolers to keep the temps in a good range for brewing. 

I don't think the one day you had problems with the temps will severely affect this batch. The off-flavors that may be in this batch might be so subtle you may not detect them. Stay with it and let it ferment out, bottle and condition a couple extra weeks. If there is any off-flavors , you can mix a bottle of this batch with another bottle of another batch and it should taste decent if not good.  I have done this a few times when i had screw-ups.

RDWHAHB

Salud my Friends

• Like 1

i live in the hell that is called florida too.  we also get power outages for no apparent reason. a cheap , slightly more effort on your part solution is to do what i do:

get a large cooler. they are cheap at walmart.

get some 1 liter or 2 liter plastic beverage bottles. i use 1 liter zephyrhills carbonated water bottles... i recycle.

get a cheap submersible aquarium thermometer... the plastic kind with a plastic probe at the end of a 2 ft lead. theyre about 8 bucks at any pet shop.

the night before brewing put 2 to 4 bottles of water in your freezer.

cool your wort as normal and put lbk in the ice chest/cooler.

add a bottle of ice to the cooler.. anywhere is fine in it.

tape the probe of the thermometer to the outside of your lbk.

put a piece of cardboard or styrofoam to cover the probe and tape that to the lbk.

shut the lid of the cooler with the thermometer display outside. the tiny bit of wire that the lid will shut on wont cause that much cold air to leak out.

turn on thermometer...check it in about 30 mins.

try to get the thermometer reading around 64-70f and hold it there. if it gets too cold you can crack the lid on the cooler and see how that affects the temp... or try less ice.

every 8-12 hrs check the temp. if it is getting hot, open the cooler, swap out an ice bottle. repeat til done.

you can experiment with ice amounts to get a better idea of how much ice you need and how long it lasts. i find one liter of ice in a bottle in my chiller box is good for anywhere from 16-24 hrs.

it is a little more work on your part but it is cheap and effective for the stinking hellhole of florida.

• Like 1

I'll probably try the cooler out first. I told my wife about getting a small refrigerator and she reminded me that during the summer we tend to get numerous power outages. More work involved with using a cooler, but at least I would not have to worry about a/c or power issues.

You can put the same frozen bottles in the fridge if the power goes out. You get back what you put in so if you can get a fridge it makes life easier with a full time job and not coming home to a temperature issue.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great advice. I have a question alcohol content, but I'll start another post on that.

Me thinks the solution for you Florida folks with power outages is:  PAY YOUR FRICKING ELECTRIC BILL or in other cases...MOVE TO Arid-zona.

Just Saying!!! JK

Salud my Friends

Hot beer makes bad beer,

I think we have all had an experience with the taste of a commercial brew that was stale tasting or knarly period.

The sun is the worst enemy for any beer while extended periods of heat will contribute to rotten beer taste. (drinkable but happy it is gone)

Florida humidity is the real stinger, 80^ here is a lot different than Fargo or Phoenix. My LBKs are empty right now but it is time for testing a budget DIY cooler for the LBK.

Lacking a couple of fittings. Transition from copper to poly. I will do a write up when completed once safe and easy are accomplished.

For know the omaha steak cooler will be my friend.

All the Best

• Like 1

Its time for me to upgrade to a lagering fridge.. if I can find one cheap enough. If not, I'll probably just bite the bullet & get a new mini fridge. I'm away from home for weeks at a time for my job & the wife is no help. Every time I ask her how my LBK looks she says, " It's brown, still sitting there where you left it.." She's been shutting off the thermostat at the house when she leaves so the a/c won't run up the electric bill & its been getting close to 90° outside this week. Yikes! I haven't had to dump a batch yet & I'm hopefull this one survives. 9 more days til bottling.. (fingers crossed)

Yep,

Lowes has a nice wine fridge with the glass door and rack, On my wish list for an easy conversion to lager temps.

I would experiment with a st100 controller if you do not have access to programmable controls.

Rick Beer has done this I am sure!!

STC-1000 plus workbox, outlets, led lights, outlets, paint can,... under $40.

Me thinks the solution for you Florida folks with power outages is:  PAY YOUR FRICKING ELECTRIC BILL or in other cases...MOVE TO Arid-zona.

Just Saying!!! JK

Salud my Friends

you would think that the state capital  would have higher tech with better fault tolerances on the power grid but... power goes off for no apparent reason : no hurricane, no storm, no wind.. nothing and POOF...  I personally blame the idiots running the power plant. I can almost hear a distant "hmmmm wonder what this button does?" just before every glitch.

as for Arizona.. dude! my air runs nonstop now 9 out of 12 months! my utility bills are seldom lower than $200 a month. in the brief 3 month lull in the stinking heat and humidity that passes for winter and 'spring' combined, the utility bills drops considerably. may the beer Gods PLEASE grant me a lotto win so I can move to civilization up north and finally start enjoying life?!

• Like 2