Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wheatondiver

Increasing Temperature

I have been reading the forums since receiving my LBK for Christmas 2014 and have not seen an answer to my question.  

I have seen solutions to lower the temperature of the LBK, but not how to raise the temperature to the proper fermentation range.  My basement stays cool year round.  The first beer and first cider were fermented just below the range, which did not create the best.  My second beer started off too cool while I was on vacation.  After the first week, I placed the LBK in a cooler with a half gallon milk jug full of water.  I microwave the water and have raised the LBL to 64 - 68.  Unfortunately, I need to do this once or twice a day. 

Are there any other ways to raise the temperature?

Since the first week was below the temperature and no or very little fermentation took place, should I start my 3 week period when fermentation started?

I used a similar 1/2 gallon water container in my cooler and than I put a fish tank heater in the water that I had laying about.  It worked reasonably well and is adjustable (once you figure out how water temperature translates to cooler temperature.)  I did my Saison batch this was and kept it around 78 in an ambient of around 69-70.

Many of us ferment at 64.

You nailed the way, hot water bottles. Also the higher you raise it from the floor, the warmer it will be. Cement floors are cold. Ferment upstairs?

There is no harm in going an extra week to be sure.

I have been reading the forums since receiving my LBK for Christmas 2014 and have not seen an answer to my question.  

I have seen solutions to lower the temperature of the LBK, but not how to raise the temperature to the proper fermentation range.  My basement stays cool year round.  The first beer and first cider were fermented just below the range, which did not create the best.  My second beer started off too cool while I was on vacation.  After the first week, I placed the LBK in a cooler with a half gallon milk jug full of water.  I microwave the water and have raised the LBL to 64 - 68.  Unfortunately, I need to do this once or twice a day. 

Are there any other ways to raise the temperature?

Since the first week was below the temperature and no or very little fermentation took place, should I start my 3 week period when fermentation started?

I have the opposite issue at times as I keep my LBK in the laundry room and if my significant other closes the door during the drying cycle, the heat can get out of control. We have talked about this though and will keep the door open when the dryer is on. In your case you could try an oscillating heater fan to warm the LBK. This may require some sort of enclosure and finagling with the temp settings to get an optimal/static temp I would think...I am a noob though and that is my thought  :)

A while back when this came up, I mentioned the possibility of using a seed-starter heat mat under your lbk to raise the temperature. Lo and behold, I was researching the topic and found this: http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp?itemid=2509&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ProductAds&gclid=CKnChPa_5cQCFYY8gQodPJEA2Q

I have a rectangular one for starting seeds, but haven't used it for brewing since low temperatures usually aren't a problem in southeast Louisiana.

It's like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-20-5-in-x-8-5-in-Seed-Propagating-Seedling-Heat-Mat-VSEEDMAT/202985174

• Like 1

If you can't raise it up, you can always insulate it.  I line the floor of my freezer with cardboard.  You can do the same with basement floor.

A while back when this came up, I mentioned the possibility of using a seed-starter heat mat under your lbk to raise the temperature. Lo and behold, I was researching the topic and found this: http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp?itemid=2509&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ProductAds&gclid=CKnChPa_5cQCFYY8gQodPJEA2Q

I have a rectangular one for starting seeds, but haven't used it for brewing since low temperatures usually aren't a problem in southeast Louisiana.

It's like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-20-5-in-x-8-5-in-Seed-Propagating-Seedling-Heat-Mat-VSEEDMAT/202985174

For thinking outside the box +1

• Like 1

I was going to suggest something similar.  Heat pad for reptile tank and a regulator to plug it into.  Put that in a cooler, and adjust as necessary.  I would set it up get some temps first.  I just put mine in a cooler with a towel.  The heat from fermentation normal is enough for me.

• Like 1

I had this problem with carbonating my brews.  All of my batches brewed fine in the basement with an ambient temperature of around 62 but took forever to carbinate at that temp. 

The answer, Christmas lights in a cooler plugged into a timer.  1 50 ct string with a 15 minute on and 60 minute off cycle tends to give me a stable air temp for carbonation of around 72 degrees.  My beer carbonates much better now and even clears better.  The lights must be the mini lights and not the new LED lights. 

• Like 4

The answer, Christmas lights in a cooler plugged into a timer.  

Nice going McGyver.   ;)

• Like 2

Yeah, these LEDs are going to ruin all the nice light bulb applications we have. Still, invention will win out. 

Changing a couple times a day is not so bad, I have to do that with the freezer packs I use for lager fermenting in the cooler.

I like Christmas and the lights.

If working in a cooler based environment a 12v or 110v heating element is around $8.00 on amazon. I would suggest the 110v version.

These must be submerged in liquid to survive. A liquid tank that circulates warm around the LBK will succeed with controls.

Hermetic compressor crankcase heater comes to mind as well but controls are necessary as well.

I use a Brewbelt. You can find them at most homebrew supply stores or online pretty easy. They work very well.

• Like 1