Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brybry

apricot wheat

I was out last night and tried an Apricot Wheat from Ithaca brewing. It was great and had a very light and refreshing taste, crazy thing is I think I was getting a bit of the green apple taste I've got in my own beers, but I loved it with the Apricot. 

Question is has anybody tried the Apricot Wheat that Mr Beer sells and the Ithaca Apricot Wheat? Any comparisons, how close do you think the Mr Beer Apricot Wheat will be? Any suggestions on getting close with Mr beer?

"Green" is part of the taste profile of a wheat beer. Like IPAs they are best served young.

• Like 1

I made a tasty apricot wheat using a can of CAL as a base. I added 1lb of wheat LME. After a week I added 2 can of Apricots.

I made the Rasperry wheat and added Peaches to it.  Peaches being very similar in taste and texture to apricots...  I also used flavor extracts during bottling.

It is probably my favorite beer.  However, it doesn't taste much like beer.  It has a fizzy fruit juice quality.  Not a malted beverage like Smirnoff or Mike's but a malty fruit juice with tons of bubbles.  Amazing!

20150401_144813_zpspldsdpag.jpg

The only canned Apricots my local grocery store had aren't skinned. Should I try and skin them or just throw them in the blender as is?

IMO the real question is, how do you eat that kind of fruit?  I mean, I don't skin a peach. So if I made a peach wheat, I'd leave the skin on as part of the expected flavor profile.

Canned peaches? Leave it on. Fresh? Peel those suckers, they might harbor wild yeasts & other unwanted microbes.

Canned have been pasteurized and are therefore safe.

:)

Planning on brewing this tonight or tomorrow and it just hit me. It's strawberry season here in central PA. So do I make this a Apricot, Strawberry Wheat?

If so I'll guess mash the Stawberries then boil in the LME before adding to the HME and LBK?

Thoughts, has anybody tried this combo?

Planning on brewing this tonight or tomorrow and it just hit me. It's strawberry season here in central PA. So do I make this a Apricot, Strawberry Wheat?

If so I'll guess mash the Stawberries then boil in the LME before adding to the HME and LBK?

Thoughts, has anybody tried this combo?

Sounds good! Just be sure you either sulfite the strawberries or pasteurize them before using to prevent wild contamination. Also, add them after a week of fermentation, not at yeast pitch. Otherwise, you'll lose flavor.

• Like 2

add them after a week of fermentation, not at yeast pitch. Otherwise, you'll lose flavor.

I was just scrolling down to type this very thing.

Canned peaches? Leave it on. Fresh? Peel those suckers, they might harbor wild yeasts & other unwanted microbes.

Canned have been pasteurized and are therefore safe.

well since I boil the fruit (canned or fresh) then mash(with a tater masher) it, it's safe. (canned=euphuism, I don't use canned I use frozen)
  • Like 1

I tried a Deluxe Bavarian Weissbier with apricot extract today bottled on 5-17.  Darn tasty!  It reminded me of Magic Hat's #9.  Well, the apricot did, which got me to thinking I need to brew another batch of the #9 clone.

I made a wheat using apricots and peaches as I did not have enough apricots. It was not very fruity. I expected more taste. Maybe adding extract is easier.

Adding fruit to most recipes yields little fruit flavor. After 1/2 dozen tries, using cherries, blueberries, and raspberries, I switched to extract flavors. 1-2 drops in the glass, then pour the beer in. Peach and blueberry are blah, apricot and raspberry work well. Orange in Blue Moon is good. Raspberry in Oktoberfest is nice, peanut butter in Oatmeal Stout.

Just cold crashed this about an hour ago, plan to bottle on Saturday

Adding fruit to most recipes yields little fruit flavor. After 1/2 dozen tries, using cherries, blueberries, and raspberries, I switched to extract flavors. 1-2 drops in the glass, then pour the beer in. Peach and blueberry are blah, apricot and raspberry work well. Orange in Blue Moon is good. Raspberry in Oktoberfest is nice, peanut butter in Oatmeal Stout.

Question for you Mr. Rick ..... I am about to bottle the Chocolate Covered Cherry tonight.  I have some chocolate and cherry extract to add to the brew at bottling.  I use the PET bottles that came with the kit .... how much of each should I put in each bottle????

Since they are all different, whatever directions say.

Lorann is 1 dram for 5 gallons. Brewer's Best is 4 oz per 5 gallons. Simple math from there.

"Green" is part of the taste profile of a wheat beer. Like IPAs they are best served young.

So if I bottle this tonight do you think it's possible for it to be carbed and drinkable by July 6th? Any suggestions or tricks to get the carbing process to go a little quicker? Yea I know that's only 10 days away but my daughter is getting Married on the 6th and there is  BBQ at my house afterwards that evening. I should have been watching the calendar better at started this a few weeks earlier.