Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mikedup

new brewer need help

I need some help, I'm making a new batch and when I added my water and wort, my water was not cold enough and now my thermometer is in the too hot zone. I put the whole keg in the fridge to try and cool it down, is this a good idea or is there any way to bring it down to the proper temp?

Yeah, leaving it in the fridge (or freezer, if you monitor it very closely) would probably be the safest thing. How much too hot are we talking about?

Air is not a very good conductor so I might try to find a way to use ice or chilled water to cool down a wort that was at too high a temperature. You might stick the keg in a sink filled with ice (but be careful that the iced water does not enter the keg)...

Air is not a very good conductor so I might try to find a way to use ice or chilled water to cool down a wort that was at too high a temperature. You might stick the keg in a sink filled with ice (but be careful that the iced water does not enter the keg)...

I was thinking of that, but I was a little concerned about the possibility of water going up the spigot. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Not to mention the growth of bacteria or mold. When I use a cooler I make sure I wipe away any moisture from the ice pack.