Mr.Beer Community
mikedup

temperature

My water was not cold enough when I added my wort so I put the whole keg in the fridge to bring down the temperature is this a good idea or is there a better way?

If it wasn't cold enough, the keg would have deformed. :D  I'm assuming you use cold water for the first & last pour in the keg so the wort doesn't melt it.  I don't think the refrigerator is necessary.  Let's see what they say...

If it wasn't cold enough, the keg would have deformed. :D I'm assuming you use cold water for the first & last pour in the keg so the wort doesn't melt it. I don't think the refrigerator is necessary. Let's see what they say...

He said he didn`t use cold water

He said he didn`t use cold water

He said it 'wasn't cold enough'.  I'm assuming that it was somewhat cold? ;)  I've never seen any talk about the final temp of the wort when it gets mixed with the water.  I'm interested to see now.

I use 2 gallons of bottled spring water which I keep in my garage until I'm ready to brew. The first gallon I pop in the fridge before I begin the sanitizing step while the second sits on my kitchen counter so its ready available for the brewing step. When my wort's ready to go into my LBK, I take the first gal out of the fridge & dump it all in the LBK letting it splash about randomly to try & get some oxygen bubbles in there. Then I add the wort & top off with the rest of the second gal, slowly this time so I don't accidentally splash out any wort. Finally, I mix it really good with my brewing spoon, kidna splashing a little to aerate but being careful not to lose wort. I rarely take temp readings anymore after all that because, when I used to take temp readings the wort was nevet over about 67°-70°. Which, I believe is alright to pitch yeast. Seems like I remember above 78° is the danger zone..

If you use cold tap water, and follow Mr. Beer's directions, your temps should be fine for pitching.

• Like 1