Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sabres032

Muntons Export Stout HME

So a friend of mine gave me a can of Muntons Connoisseurs Export Stout HME because he is not a fan of dark beers. The can came with a package of yeast but no real brewing instructions. No problems I head over to their web site and download the brewing instructions. Step four says to add HME to boiled water then add 2.2 pounds of brewing sugar, mix well and pour wort into fermenter.

Why would I be instructed to add sugar to an HME that should already have the needed sugar from malting process? That doesn't sound right.

post-65338-0-76456800-1429134356_thumb.p

It's basically being added as a booster. The Cooper's cans are like that, too.

• Like 1

It's basically being added as a booster. The Cooper's cans are like that, too.

Damn.. Don't I feel silly? I should have known that.

Note that it's intended to brew 40 pints, i.e. 5 gallons.  You want to substitute 2.2 lbs of DME or 3 lbs of LME instead of sugar.  You don't want to make 2.5 gallons without adding anything, and you don't want to make 5 gallons that way either.  

• Like 2

Note that it's intended to brew 40 pints, i.e. 5 gallons.  You want to substitute 2.2 lbs of DME or 3 lbs of LME instead of sugar.  You don't want to make 2.5 gallons without adding anything, and you don't want to make 5 gallons that way either.  

At the present time I only have one LBK and my CAL+ still has at least 10 days left to ferment and then I plan on brewing and fermenting the Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale right after. So, I have some time to research this Export Stout brew and what kind of DME or HME I should add. I was planning on splitting the Export Stout into two batches unless I can acquire an additional LBK, Ale Pail or Carboy. Who knows, anything is possible in the next month. 

Plugging a 2.5 gallon batch into Q-Brew with a dark DME I get this. Numbers look good to me although I'm not sure why the bitterness estimate is 0. 

post-65338-0-34535500-1429136751_thumb.j

Because you need to plug in the HME can as hops, too.

• Like 1

Get another LBK - much simpler. If you are near a Total Wine you could be in luck. Not all stores have them. Not in all states. Mine has the brew kit with American light for $25

Adding sugar adds some alcohol without changing the flavor or increasing body. I used some cane sugar in the stout I made recently. It was an "export" version (i.e. a very sneaky 7%) version of a Murphy's clone recipe, and it's really good. I only used 8 ounces in a 2.5 gallon batch though. 

Fun fact: Invert sugar (made with cane sugar, citric acid, and water) is widely used by British brewers. In 19th century Britain it was considered a malt substitute, not an adjunct.   

• Like 1

Looks like I'm getting a nice pipeline going. Currently bottle conditioning the Mexican Aztec Cerveza, my CAL+ is in the LBK fermenting, the Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale is next on the list and now the Export Stout. Plus I still have 1.65 pounds of the Briese Golden LME in the freezer I can do something with, too. Good thing I picked up a used bench bottle capper and purchased 100  bottle caps. 

Once you get multiple fermenters going, you'll really feel like you're doing some brewing.

I have 7 now and, without Rick's calendar suggestion, there's no way I could keep up with the dry hops, cold crashes, bottling, and brewing cycle unless I were to do all of my LBK batches on the same day.  Which is really hard when I only have fridge space for CC for 1 LBK at at time (says my wife).

For example, I bottled my Belgian Trippel last night and put my Hop Head Red into the fridge for CC.  Tonight I will brew Rose's Rambling Red because I have an open LBK.  Saturday, I will bottle my Hop Head Red and dry hop my imperial IPA.  Then Sunday, I will make my Peach Wheat for my open LBK.  Then next Wednesday...

That's how you get that pipeline going!

• Like 1

That's how you get that pipeline going!

no, that is how you compete with national breweries!  SEVEN?  nice.  :)

• Like 1

no, that is how you compete with national breweries!  SEVEN?  nice.  :)

I think I ruptured my spleen laughing at this comment.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to upgrade to 7 carboys at some point.  But I need to lock down my recipes first.

• Like 1

Note that it's intended to brew 40 pints, i.e. 5 gallons. You want to substitute 2.2 lbs of DME or 3 lbs of LME instead of sugar. You don't want to make 2.5 gallons without adding anything, and you don't want to make 5 gallons that way either.

I got side tracked and realized I never asked why the need for a booster in the first place? Is the can of HME really that weak?

I never said booster - I said LME or DME.

Those cans are made to brew 5 gallons of beer.  They concentrate what goes in the can so they can package it as small as possible, and ask the consumer to add 2.2 pounds of sugar (again, I recommend LME or DME).  Small can, less to ship, more profit.

Those cans are made to brew 5 gallons of beer. They concentrate what goes in the can so they can package it as small as possible, and ask the consumer to add 2.2 pounds of sugar (again, I recommend LME or DME). Small can, less to ship, more profit.

That answers my question.

• Like 1

Those cans are made to brew 5 gallons of beer.  Small can, less to ship, more profit. Crappier beer.

yea I saw sumwhere online last night Muntons Irish Stout $26.00 for 5 gal batch kit, dnt know much about the brand, still not a bad price if sumone knew what to expect frm it

I dnt wear I herd it frm? butt sumwhere on lyne thear wuz this recipay that wuz four like rally cheep!

• Like 1

Damn kids these days with their crazy spelling. A nun would have hit my knuckles with a ruler if I had written that.

• Like 4

I dnt wear I herd it frm? butt sumwhere on lyne thear wuz this recipay that wuz four like rally cheep!

??  Recipes are free, and everywhere...It's the malt and hops that you got to pay for.

it was for a 5 gal hme of muntons irish stout as I remembered, but I know nothing about muntons

It's certainly a matter of taste per individual, but FWIW, I've found a compromise that works really good for me. Instead of adding 2 lbs of sugar or 2 lbs of malt to a 3.75 lb HME for a 5 gallon batch, I use 1 lb of sugar and one lb of malt. Then split between 2 LBK's. May not work for everyone, but it works for me.

• Like 1

Anybody ever just drop the  3.75 can (Munton's, Cooper's or otherwise) in an LBK?

Someone may have, but keep in mind how "off" the intended profile it would be.  The intent is to brew 5 gallons, by adding enough water and several pounds of sugar / LME / DME.  If you only brew 2.13 gallons, everything about this it is going to be way, way off.  You can easily see the potential impact in QBrew or some other tool.

Example:

A can of Munton's Connoisseurs HME weighs 3.97 pounds.  Making 2.13 gallons of beer with it yields an ABV of 6.5%, with an OG of 1.067 and an FG of 1.017.  IBUs are 43 and color is 50.

Now, increase it to 5 gallons and 2.2 pounds of Light DME.  ABV drops to 4.7%, IBUs to 22, and Color to 30.  Big difference in everything.

• Like 1

Anybody ever just drop the  3.75 can (Munton's, Cooper's or otherwise) in an LBK?

I have used the entire can from a muntons and coopers in a LBK. I have some coopers draught in the fridge that turned out quite nice, even though it was a whole can.

It does change the profile from what it was meant to be. I have not tried it with a stout or IPA style, mostly the lighter styles.

• Like 1

yea I saw sumwhere online last night Muntons Irish Stout $26.00 for 5 gal batch kit, dnt know much about the brand, still not a bad price if sumone knew what to expect frm it

26 bucks sounds a little steep.  My local store carries Muntons and sells  that can for $18.  I've brewed Muntons before and it's good stuff.  I always add 2lbs of DME.  Bring the DME to a boil, add some hops to freshen it and boil it for 10 minutes.  Then add the Muntons.  It will make a great beer.  

• Like 2

With the Coopers or Muntons, they need the added sugar (malt or booster) to get the ABV up. Booster has to be a bit cheaper.

They also may have balanced the hop/malt flavors in the HME based on adding Booster not malt.  

But as mentioned above, I am sure cost plays a big factor.

If you are splitting between 2 LBKs, I would do one with malt added and one with Booster added and see what you like.

And please report back here :-)

• Like 1

Someone may have, but keep in mind how "off" the intended profile it would be.  The intent is to brew 5 gallons, by adding enough water and several pounds of sugar / LME / DME.  If you only brew 2.13 gallons, everything about this it is going to be way, way off.  You can easily see the potential impact in QBrew or some other tool.

Example:

A can of Munton's Connoisseurs HME weighs 3.97 pounds.  Making 2.13 gallons of beer with it yields an ABV of 6.5%, with an OG of 1.067 and an FG of 1.017.  IBUs are 43 and color is 50.

Now, increase it to 5 gallons and 2.2 pounds of Light DME.  ABV drops to 4.7%, IBUs to 22, and Color to 30.  Big difference in everything.

So if I were to just brew a 2.13 gallon batch straight without any added sugar or LME/DME with the numbers above it will be a "Tall, dark and bitter?" Interesting to say the least. 

Anyway I've been playing around with the can of HME and an addition of Munton"s dark DME. Half the can of Export Stout, 1 pound of Munton's Dark DME (LHBS only sells this in one pound bags) for a 2.5 gallon batch and came up with this. 

post-65338-0-53372800-1430949648_thumb.j

I can deal with those numbers and I think my wife will also like the final product as well. I'll hold onto the other half can until I see what the basic beer tastes like then attempt to add to it. Maybe I can use the time to research using the remaining product and create a coffee stout or chocolate stout.

Total wine ships too :-) still may be cheaper including postage.

• Like 1