Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jwick75

FG Too High

After 3 weeks my FG is still 1.034 and should be 1.010. The temperature is 71 degrees so I don't know what could be wrong? There is a lot of by product on the bottom so I think it has been fermenting. It's the Golden Blonde.

Almost impossible.  First obvious question is - are you sure you're reading it right?  See hydrometer link in my sig.

If you are reading it right, and you are brewing the Golden One Belgian Blonde, which is a collaboration recipe, and has an OG of 1.065 or so, FG of 1.016 (what they list is clearly wrong), the question is what happened?

Is there any chance that you didn't put a gallon of cold water in first, then add the 2 cans of HME (and 4 cups of water)? 

You can't bottle that high.  If it's a true reading, I would taste it.  I suspect it will taste sweet.  If so, stir it up, and let it go another week.

• Like 2

It's still really cloudy too. I'm positive I followed all the directions. I regret not getting an initial reading on the hydrometer. Do you stir all of the muck at the bottom or just the beer on top? This is my 3rd brew. My first was the Mexican Cervesa and it didn't taste very good. My next was the Czech Pilsner and it tastes pretty good. Thanks for the reply.

You want to gently roust the yeast, i.e. awaken it.  So you gentle stir (not aerating the beer), to get the yeast on the bottom (some of it) in suspension.  Make sure you use a sanitized spoon.  Then cross your fingers.

• Like 2

Is 71 degrees your ambient air temp or your wort temp?

Did you check your wort temp before you pitched your yeast? Did you rehydrate your yeast?

I recommend a yeast starter similar to what one would do at first with original wort. I have had several stuck fermentations and this has worked for me. And when adding it it do as others have stated, gently rouse the existing yeast of the bottom. Something went wrong somewhere...Houston we have a problem!!!  Good fortunes with this batch and hopefully it will come down to the 1.015 - 1.016 range where need be.

Salud my Friends

I've seen in several threads people referencing a target of the FG, where do they come from? I've looked on the Mr beer site and I don't see them. Or is it something there is a calculation for?

I've seen in several threads people referencing a target of the FG, where do they come from? I've looked on the Mr beer site and I don't see them. Or is it something there is a calculation for?

It's on the website under the name of the recipe.

"MAKES APPROX. 2 GALLONS OF BEER IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS.

OG:1.042 (approx.) -- FG: 1.010 (approx.)

Suggested lager time is 1-2 weeks."

It's on the website under the name of the recipe.

"MAKES APPROX. 2 GALLONS OF BEER IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS.

OG:1.042 (approx.) -- FG: 1.010 (approx.)

Suggested lager time is 1-2 weeks."

OK I see now it's listed for the recipes, not the refills

We don't put the listing on the refills because they are mainly intended for newer brewers. We try not to overload them with too much info (This has been discussed here: http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/33524-why-is-there-a-range-of-abv-on-mr-beer-kits/).But, for the record, all of the standard size cans (not the craft refills or seasonals) are 1.036 SG and most of them finish at around 1.010 - 1.012 when using the provided yeast (it may vary with other yeasts).

• Like 1

We don't put the listing on the refills because they are mainly intended for newer brewers. We try not to overload them with too much info (This has been discussed here: http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/33524-why-is-there-a-range-of-abv-on-mr-beer-kits/).But, for the record, all of the standard size cans (not the craft refills or seasonals) are 1.036 SG and most of them finish at around 1.010 - 1.012 when using the provided yeast (it may vary with other yeasts).

In all fairness, the provided yeast can vary. It's a living organism that not only can, but will, do the unexpected.

• Like 2

In all fairness, the provided yeast can vary. It's a living organism that not only can, but will, do the unexpected.

Yep.  I'm thinking the yeast might have been bad. At the 3 week point I think I would have pitched another pack of yeast, and maybe rehydrate it this time if I didn't before. I know it's not supposed to be necessary, but you never know...

I don't know the OP says he got "gunk" in the bottom so the yeast is doing it's thing.

Yeah, it just finished doing its thing too fast. (That's what she said.)

However...Like Rick was saying, that Mr. Beer OG number is off so it did more work than we're giving it credit for. Maybe it's OK but it's the world's slowest ale yeast strain. I don't know...I've been dealing with a similar dilemma with that barleywine I'm still working on, but more for alcohol tolerance issues.