Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jrhopkins

Leftover LBK Odor

I am almost positive I thoroughly cleaned out my LBK after my last batch...

I used Craftmeister Brewery Wash and used a gentle sponge to rub (not scrub) out all of the residue immediately after I bottled the last batch.  It's been a few weeks and my LBK has been sitting idle since.  I'm getting ready to start another batch and noticed an odor inside the LBK, kind of like a beer and leftover trub odor.  I looked inside and didn't see anything left over, and I didn't feel any residue on the inside.  Is this odor normal?  Is it a sign of a well-seasoned LBK?  Or do I need to scrub out again?  I would think that the sanitizing would take care of anything prior to brewing.

Have others noticed this in their LBK's?

Thanks,

I like to soak my LBK in PBW overnight right after use. Rubbing only gets you so far but soaking is key

At times mine have a scent.  If you wash or rinse them with very hot water, you bake in the scent.  If you did not remove the spigots, you need to do so.  I also recommend totally disassembling them, the spigot separates into two parts, and using a small bottle brush to gentle clean it.

• Like 1

I had that problem once too, but did like jim has done, leave the lid off and the smell goes away

At times mine have a scent.  If you wash or rinse them with very hot water, you bake in the scent.  If you did not remove the spigots, you need to do so.  I also recommend totally disassembling them, the spigot separates into two parts, and using a small bottle brush to gentle clean it.

I think this is what happened cause I used hot water to wash and rinse.  I kept the lid and spigot off when drying.  So, will the scent have any effects on the taste/aroma of the next batch?  Should I even be concerned about the scent?  

Don't be concerned about a little residual beer scent. You're going to make beer in it again anyway.

• Like 1

Don't be concerned about a little residual beer scent. You're going to make beer in it again anyway.

Oh noes!!! My beer keg smells like beer!

I think this is what happened cause I used hot water to wash and rinse.  I kept the lid and spigot off when drying.  So, will the scent have any effects on the taste/aroma of the next batch?  Should I even be concerned about the scent?  

If you clean and soak with a good cleaner you will not have a scent. If you have any PBW get some hot water (~100-110F) and mix with appropriate amount of PBW, usually 1oz per gallon and go over it with a soft cloth. Then rinse with hot water (~100-110F) real good. After that soak at room temperature with a 1oz/gallon solution over night. My tap water comes out at a peak of 112F and I have never noticed any temperature induced aromas even after storing unused fermenters with cap on. Anything close to the 140F max temp that the plastic can take might be different but as far as hot tap water you're fine.

EDIT: for the spigot I use a dip tube brush that is used to clean beer lines in kegs.

If you clean and soak with a good cleaner you will not have a scent. If you have any PBW get some hot water (~100-110F) and mix with appropriate amount of PBW, usually 1oz per gallon and go over it with a soft cloth. Then rinse with hot water (~100-110F) real good. After that soak at room temperature with a 1oz/gallon solution over night. My tap water comes out at a peak of 112F and I have never noticed any temperature induced aromas even after storing unused fermenters with cap on. Anything close to the 140F max temp that the plastic can take might be different but as far as hot tap water you're fine.

EDIT: for the spigot I use a dip tube brush that is used to clean beer lines in kegs.

Do not use hot water to clean anything plastic.  That's how you bake in smells.  Warm is more than sufficient.  You're not cleaning a frying pan here.

All I do is rinse the heck out of my LBK after I've bottled, then sanitize it.  Then I leave it to drip dry upside down with the lid off.  I've never removed the spigot as part of my cleaning process.  Each of my LBK's have been used for 6 or 7 batches.  No problems and I just went over to my LBK and sniffed it.  No significant smell.

• Like 1

Do not use hot water to clean anything plastic.  That's how you bake in smells.  Warm is more than sufficient.  You're not cleaning a frying pan here.

About a dozen batches between 2 LBKs and I've never noticed any "baked" in smell. I do not consider ~110F to be "hot." It's what comes out of the tap on hot setting but in my personal experience I've NEVER experienced anything baked on. Maybe I got the LBK's with the super amazing plastic but regardless said smell is absent. Conversely I wouldn't want to go as high as the 140F warning temp.

In Iraq, we had an inline electric water heater for our outdoor shower.  It was awesome until our generator would fail every other day for about 4 hours causing everyone to logjam (no-homo) into the shower everyday.  So then we found a water heater in a junk pile and fixed it up.  It was propane and there's no Lowe's to get a refill.  So we laid it on the side above a pit that we would feed diesel to.  A couple of pieces of scrap wood, a boot, and a cup of diesel would get you some decently warm water for hours.

• Like 1