Mr.Beer Community
Jeff (Klingdom)

Freezer or Refrigerator

I have a temp controller. What's better for a fermentation chamber? Freezer or Refridgerator?

My gut tells me it doesn't matter but I figured I'd ask people who have done this before.

Thanks!

You can get more fermenters in an upright. It even comes with shelves. I had a chest freezer, I built a shelf so I could put 2 LBKs and that left room for one 6.5gal ale pail in it.  With a fridge I can put 2 ale pails and 2 LBKs. (my pipeline is 5 gal a week)

If it's an upright freezer, be aware that the non-frost free types MAY have coils under the shelves, which makes it very difficult to fit some things.  You can't change shelf height unless you bend one out of the way, taking a chance at crimping a refrigerant tube.

In terms of accessibility, upright would be my suggestion (I have a chest freezer).  However, I did get my 7 ft^3 chesty for $200 brand new including shipping delivered to my door.  Hard to find that in an upright.

midea WHS-258C1 Single Door Chest Freezer

I can get 5 LBK's in there pretty easily.  Yes, the fumes can be overwhelming if you reach down in there during high krausen.

• Like 1

That's the way to do it! I got my big GE Profile frig and freezer for $75!

I would shop craigslist but I'd prefer not to be robbed at gunpoint and/or left for dead in a dumpster behind Walmart.

Like anything else, using Craigslist to buy or sell requires you to be smart.  While it's always best to meet in a well lit public place, sometimes you can't (like when buying a refrigerator).  Here's what you can do:

1) Verify the identity of the person you're buying from.  Ask for their name and number.  Google the number and verify that it matches to that name.  If not (i.e. a cell), you can see if the city's tax rolls are public, so you can lookup the owner of that property and see if the name matches.  If not, email them (through CL your email is anonymous) explain that you are trying to be safe, and ask if the person can give you a work email address that you can verify.  In other words, if they give you johnjones@abccompany.com, you can call the general number, and ask for John Jones and see if he answers and then verify it's his listing.

2) Bring at least one other person when you go to do a CL transaction.  And always tell someone else where you are going and when.

3) See if your area has a Craigslist Safe Zone.  Some law enforcement agencies, including our County Sheriff, have designated a safe area to transact CL business in.  It happens to be the lobby of their building, where personnel sit behind a counter in plain site.  I haven't checked for cameras yet, but I'm sure they are there.  It's open Mon - Fri, 8-5.

4) If you cannot use a CL Safe Zone, go to a well-lit public area during the day.  I use a Park N Ride that is heavily traveled and within 50 feet of a main road with heavy traffic, and I park in an area right up front with my vehicle pointed out.  

5) If selling, require them to bring exact change and nothing larger than a $20 bill. If buying, do the same.  Do your negotiating ONLINE ahead of time so the transaction is quick.

6) If you are selling something that requires them to come to your home because the item is big, verify their identity prior as described above.  As to see ID OUTSIDE (I meet them on the driveway).  If possible, have the item outside or in your garage, do not give them access to your home.  If you don't like the look of them, don't let them in.  And remember, if you have multiple listings, and you click on "See More Ads By This User", they have the ability to see your entire inventory for sale...

I've done hundreds of transactions, both buying and selling, for thousands of dollars.  Right now I have 179 selling ads up, for probably 300 items, with more to be listed as I liquidate my father in-law's collection of tools/hunting and fishing equipment/and crap.

• Like 2

There's a dorm next to where I work.  I just looked out the window and there are 6 halfsized fridges sitting outside waiting to be tossed... hmmm..

There's a dorm next to where I work.  I just looked out the window and there are 6 halfsized fridges sitting outside waiting to be tossed... hmmm..

:lol:

"Honey, they were free.  What's the big deal about having 6 of them?"

I was thinking of cruising downtown Ann Arbor next week with my son and my pickup to see what we can find - but his last exam isn't until early afternoon on Thursday and he graduates on Friday.  I may try to get him to do it on Wednesday, he says that the final class exam is easy.  

I would shop craigslist but I'd prefer not to be robbed at gunpoint and/or left for dead in a dumpster behind Walmart.

That's why I carry a good old American 45acp with me :D

I would shop on craigslist but no one takes care of their crap. <_<

• Like 2

That's why I carry a good old American 45acp with me :D

I carry a Ruger .40cal loaded with "wadcutters". Can't afford an M1911. Carried one as a personal defense weapon for 6 years in the Army. That's how long I was an M60 gunner. (yes, it can truly be said I "humped" a "Hog") 

Out of curiosity, assuming the Infantry still has "crew served" machine guns, besides the M2(that's a .50cal for those who don't know). Does the "smallest man" rule still apply? I broke that rule, I'm 6' 7.5" that's 2.2 meters (I was an 11B10 my very Plt Ldr looked at me and said, "Hot damn, they sent me a pack mule"). I figured; if I got to carry a firearm, might as well make it a big one.

• Like 3

M249 is used in smaller sized units while the M240 is used in larger infantry sized units and armored vehicles.

And the issued sidearm is still the stupid M9.

My favorite weapon to fire is the MK19.

My last tour I carried the M249 but the prior tour I carried a M14EBR during my SKT duties.

I have always favored the Remmington 7400 30.06, You can hunt fleas from 150 yards.

357 mag snub is my best friend especially when hunting on craigslist.

Police backup helps as well.

• Like 2

What's the minute of angle on that Remmy?  My EBR was just under 1MOA using standard grade 7.62.  That meant I need to move those fleas in to around 50 yds lol.

And I really like a XD .45acp with 4"

But if I can see it coming, I'd prefer to gut some craigslist wouldbe attacker with my kbar.

• Like 1

Its all in the grain,

I like hunting and the scope is a wonderful tool on this rifle.

With Craigslist inform the police about the sketchy person you are about to deal with. They are not allowed to infer until someone is crossed. but they should stay nearby if something is real fishy.

I do not think an ak47 will impress any police that pull you over for anything. This gun was not on the favorites fr NRA or DOT.

Were we reading about refrigerators or freezers?

Lets make beer

I would have to say that if all the people in the word put all their guns and explosives away for good and grabbed a beer or smoked a spliff instead the world might be a little calmer

• Like 1

I would have to say that if all the people in the word put all their guns and explosives away for good and grabbed a beer or smoked a spliff instead the world might be a little calmer

Ya, we should also get rid of bacon to stop cholesterol problems in America and stop making beer to stop drunk driving.

I found this thread and thought of this post. Hopefully it helps a little in the chest freezer department when making a decision.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=75449

• Like 1

Seems like most people are using a freezer, is that the consensus?

No. It's a full size standup freezer. Fridgidaire commercial freezer. 14 cubic feet. I could fit 8 LBKs in it but I never will. I just wanted space just in case I decide to try 5 gal carboys.

Thinking about this a little more, if you use a freezer, but you're never going to go to freezing temperatures, seems like you would want to avoid frost free refrigerators since won't have as even temperatures and since they take more energy.

Thinking about this a little more, if you use a freezer, but you're never going to go to freezing temperatures, seems like you would want to avoid frost free refrigerators since won't have as even temperatures and since they take more energy.

I was actually worried about the auto defrost when I purchased this. I have caught it in auto defrost a couple times. It lasts for about thirty minutes but the temp never raises more than 1 degree, if that.

I am not sure how often the auto defrost kicks on.

The first time the auto defrost kicked on I thought my freezer was broken. Haha.

Brew On!,!

The freezer is a nice setup for lagers and cold crashing without taking the vessel out of the chamber. I have a lager in my mini fridge that just entered the lager phase at 35F and it had a hard time getting down to that temp. Not so much the compressor but the time it took.

Any tips on how to get the temperature probe of a controller inside the freezer?  Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit - A419ABG-3C / Frigidaire 14.4-cu ft Upright Freezer Model #: FFFU14M1QW.

Any tips on how to get the temperature probe of a controller inside the freezer? Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit - A419ABG-3C / Frigidaire 14.4-cu ft Upright Freezer Model #: FFFU14M1QW.

I'm lagering at 55 degrees in the mini.

Brew On!!

post-65817-0-55165100-1434508604_thumb.j

• Like 1

I tried my shiny new fermentation chamber for the first time, I put a dozen bottles in the freezer and taped the temperature probe to one of them.  What I didn't think through is that the temperature of the beer, being at room temperature, is going to lag the temperature of the surrounding air in the freezer, so the temperature of the surrounding air in the freezer got colder and colder trying to cool down the beer and ended up getting down to freezing.  At this time the beer got down to the right temperature and the freezer turned off, but then with the surrounding air at freezing the temperature of the beer got down to maybe 50 degrees.  Next time I'll keep the probe in the open air for the first day and then tape the temperature sensor to the LBK or bottles.

Or lower it slower. And make sure to insulate it with a folded cloth from air temp.

Or lower it slower. And make sure to insulate it with a folded cloth from air temp.

How do you take it slower?  Why would you want to insulate it?

If you lower the temp slower, it won't go way past. The probe needs to read the beer temp, not the air temp.

If you lower the temp slower, it won't go way past. The probe needs to read the beer temp, not the air temp.

Right, I had the dial as close to "Off" as it would go without turning it off, and it still went way past the target temperature.  It makes sense though, the air is going to get colder faster than the beer.  I understand the beer temp needs to be read, but as long as the beer temp is far different than the air temp, to avoid the overshoot it seems better to read the air temp, just for maybe 8 to 12 hours.