Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gophers6

Steeping Advice

Recommended Posts

I'd like to move up to steeping grains. I'm looking at midwest supplies.com. (They have $.45 grain bags.) They show Briess carapils(dextrin malt) and Simpson crystal 50-60L.
1. Which one would be better for many different types of beer since I only want to order one kind?
2. How much would I use for a 2 gallon batch?
3. After 30 minute steep I will take out the grain sack. Can I then bring that same water to a boil and add HME etc, or do I not boil the water that was steeped in? Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Depends on the recipe. I would probably get the crystal.

2. Again, depends on the recipe.

3. 30 minute steep, drain and remove grain bag. Add all your ingredients (per the recipe schedule) to same steeped water and boil away. You have now made wort. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CaraPils will add body & head retention, but no color or flavor.

The Simpsons Crystal is British Crystal and will add flavor and color.

The #L tells you how dark it will steep (50-60L is amberish, how light or dark will depend on how much you use.) I use 0.1-0.4 lb. for MrB. sized batches depending on the effect I'm looking for or in what combination of other grains I'm using.

Yes, boil the water that was steeped in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Dink wrote:

1. Depends on the recipe. I would probably get the crystal.

2. Again, depends on the recipe.

3. 30 minute steep, drain and remove grain bag. Add all your ingredients (per the recipe schedule) to same steeped water and boil away. You have now made wort. ;)

I use some form of crystal malt in most everything I brew now. Love ths stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reserve the CaraPils for when you have a better understanding of what each Specialty Grain has to offer. You can not really go wrong with any of the various Lovibond Crystals/Caramels... 4-8 oz on a Mr Beer sized batch, depending on what you are trying to achieve...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use QBREW to see how much of an impact, color wise; the various Crystals will have on your Mr Beer ingrdients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm after better head retention and foam stability which steeping grains is supposed to provide. I noticed the label on the mellow amber UME says lots of crystal malt. Does that provide more foam or is it just when crystal is steeped? The reason I ask is my BRA + MA was extremely fizzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I so have a link that drock posted a while ago about which can be steeped. I thought I had it saved in my favs but I dont. I have it bookmarked at home so If someone dosent post I will do it first thing when I get home in about an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bradleyhunt wrote:

Can anyone put a link up showing a table of grains depicting which need to be mashed and which can be steeped.

If it's listed as a 'specialty malt' it is for steeping as it has no diastatic power. The other malts are sold as 'base malts' and need to be mashed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mcgrewc wrote:
I use some form of crystal malt in most everything I brew now. Love ths stuff.

Same here. . . that is, if I'm not doing all-grain already. Steeping grains seems to add to all of the Mr. Beer recipes. I just buy a lighter crystal malt--say a 10 to 20 and then use a quarter to half a pound for a Mr. Beer sized batch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gdt12 wrote:

mcgrewc wrote:
I use some form of crystal malt in most everything I brew now. Love ths stuff.

Same here. . . that is, if I'm not doing all-grain already. Steeping grains seems to add to all of the Mr. Beer recipes. I just buy a lighter crystal malt--say a 10 to 20 and then use a quarter to half a pound for a Mr. Beer sized batch.

The lightest one they show at Midwest Supplies is 50-60. Will that affect the flavor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not add specialty grains to your all grain brewing? Not only will you get the benefits inherent in the specialty grain, if you mash them with your base grain the diastatic power of the base grain will mash out some of the additional sugars from the specialty grain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a sample recipe from Beersmith.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: ATG (Alexander the Great)
Brewer: Jamie Bennett
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.60 gal
Boil Size: 5.64 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 11.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.92 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.91 %
0.55 lb Corn, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.72 %
0.22 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.89 %
0.11 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.94 %
3.53 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 44.2 IBU
0.89 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (90 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
0.35 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 dHops -
0.53 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (40 min) (ArHops -
0.88 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 7.55 %
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [starter 3Yeast-Ale


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion
Total Grain Weight: 10.80 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash Add 15.41 qt of water at 160.9 F 150.8 F


Notes:
------
Add the 400g soft dark brown sugar after 45 Minutes of boiling.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry. I missed this question. "The lightest one they show at Midwest Supplies is 50-60. Will that affect the flavor?"

The higher the number in a crystal malt the more color and flavor it will impart. But at the low percentages we usually use you may notice little of this (DRock would be a better .02 on that...). I get mine already cracked from www.morebeer.com although they have stopped carrying the 10 I think it's the 15 I'm getting now. I should try a higher number crystal next time. Think I will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea why the muslin grain sack is $.45 at Midwest Supplies and $4.75 at morebeer? I must be missing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

crazybrody wrote:

I dont know for sure but some grain/hop bags are made of nylon and can be reused.

Yes tat is the reason they are more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I bought some steeping grains. Since I will only use .25 lb at a time is there a good way to store the unused grain. I got the unmilled grain. How about a Ziploc in the freezer? Also, does steeping grain change the ABV? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

norman1 wrote:

OK, I bought some steeping grains. Since I will only use .25 lb at a time is there a good way to store the unused grain. I got the unmilled grain. How about a Ziploc in the freezer? Also, does steeping grain change the ABV? Thanks

I store mine in a ziplock in the fridge. Someone somewhere sometime wrote some reason for not freezing them but somehow I've forgotten somewhat of why that was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mcgrewc wrote:

norman1 wrote:

OK, I bought some steeping grains. Since I will only use .25 lb at a time is there a good way to store the unused grain. I got the unmilled grain. How about a Ziploc in the freezer? Also, does steeping grain change the ABV? Thanks

I store mine in a ziplock in the fridge. Someone somewhere sometime wrote some reason for not freezing them but somehow I've forgotten somewhat of why that was.

How about the ABV question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry. Missed that. Steeping grain creates almost no more ABV. Just flavor, body, head, color, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...