Mr.Beer Community
Team PCBeach

Hop Sack Question

I am getting ready to try and do a pepper beer.  I am basically following the Fresco Chile Lime Beer recipe (http://www.mrbeer.com/fresco-chile-lime-beer-recipe). My question is after I make my Wort with the chilies in the hop sack, do I leave the hop sack in the mixture when I pour it into the LBK or do I take the hop sack out before I pour everything into the LBK?  Just not sure on this step.

Thanks.

Thanks.  My wife has been wanting me to try this ever since she had  Ballast Point Jalapeno Lime Beer on vacation last year.  Only my second brew in the LBK but I figured I would go for it.

Although I've never brewed this one myself, there seems to be a debate on the forums as to how many chili peppers to use.. Apparently following the recipe has produced beer that's demasiado caliente (too hot) for most people, even pepper lovers. The debate seems to center around the actual size of the chilies. De-seeding the peppers also seems to be affective to impart good jalapeno flavor without too much heat. Please post some details about how many chilies you used & how you prepared em, etc., because I'm planning to brew this same recipe soon. Thanx!

Did this recipe recently.....most that have tried it seem to enjoy its unique flavour. I used only 3 peppers instead of the 6 it calls for. Everyone said it was the perfect amount of heat. I also add the juice of 3 limes at the start... If i had to do it again i would do a lime extract at bottling.

• Like 1

I'm about to brew up a batch that includes hops and a sack. (You said sack.)  Do you just tie a knot with the sack material or do you wrap something else around it?  I'm guessing use the sack material.  Also, since it's going into boiling liquid, does it have to be sanitized before hand?  Thanks.

I make two hop sacks out of one when brewing, Dry hopping takes more material increasing elasticity. (one recommended).

Chili peppers contain some personal preservatives don't they? Throwing the pepper sack does not sound (sound).

The fruit/veg pieces of a pepper might be ferment-able by the yeast but the long life of the leaf might be an advocate in collecting anything other than the heat taste of the fruit/veg.

I am a pepper shes a pepper wouldn't you like to be a pepper too.!! "(Quote: Dom Delouise Dr. Pepper Commercial)"

Cheers

I am about to brew my first batch using the hop pellets in the hop bag.  I am making Howling Red Ale, so the directions say to bring the water to a boil and throw in the bag.  Does the bag then go in the LBK and stay for the entire three weeks?

I am about to brew my first batch using the hop pellets in the hop bag.  I am making Howling Red Ale, so the directions say to bring the water to a boil and throw in the bag.  Does the bag then go in the LBK and stay for the entire three weeks?

Yep. You can take them out of you want, but I would just leave it in.

Then again, I just go "commando" with my hops anyway.

:D

The batch I brewed said in the fine print that the sack goes in the LBK for the fermentation.

Couple of questions:

If i had to do it again i would do a lime extract at bottling.

Just curious as to why?

Do you think a single Jolokia pepper would be to much for this recipe?

Couple of questions:

Just curious as to why?

Do you think a single Jolokia pepper would be to much for this recipe?

I've never used Ghost Chili in brewing, but I did use a single Trinidad Scorpion (without seeds and vanes) in my BBQ sauce and had about the same heat as three habenero pepper. The ghost is only slightly more mild than the scorpion.