Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
therealwesty

QBrew and HME

Been trying to work with QBrew to make some recipes.  Whenever I create something with an HME the bitterness always comes out at 0 unless I am adding my own hops.  How do I get the hops/bitterness profile to reflect properly from the HME?

Read the directions carefully, because Screwy explains it quite well.  

From his page located here: ** For the new Mr. Beer/Coopers extracts enter them as 1.87 pounds for Grains and 1.00 ounce at five minutes for Hops, see sample recipe included in this update 

He also tells you to add your hops FIRST, lower on the same page: Special Note When Entering Hop Additions: If you want to add up all the IBUs for your hop additions enter all your hops before adding in your grains. As you add in your grain additions qBrew's built in formula will begin subtracting the malt's sweetness from the hop's bitterness in order to indicate the balance of the recipe.

So what this means is that FIRST you go to the hops tab, and for Mr. Beer HMEs you pick the HME and add it, as a hop, at an ounce for 5 minutes.  THEN you go back and add the HME as a grain.

Of course for the bigger cans you also put in their actual weight too. 

• Like 2

Read the directions carefully, because Screwy explains it quite well.  

From his page located here: ** For the new Mr. Beer/Coopers extracts enter them as 1.87 pounds for Grains and 1.00 ounce at five minutes for Hops, see sample recipe included in this update 

He also tells you to add your hops FIRST, lower on the same page: Special Note When Entering Hop Additions: If you want to add up all the IBUs for your hop additions enter all your hops before adding in your grains. As you add in your grain additions qBrew's built in formula will begin subtracting the malt's sweetness from the hop's bitterness in order to indicate the balance of the recipe.

So what this means is that FIRST you go to the hops tab, and for Mr. Beer HMEs you pick the HME and add it, as a hop, at an ounce for 5 minutes.  THEN you go back and add the HME as a grain.

Of course for the bigger cans you also put in their actual weight too. 

BTW, Rick, I was working on this the other night.  And I tried hops first vs grain/extract first and I always came up with the same results in the end.

I say this because it's much easier to figure out what you want your OG to be and then work in your hops until you hit the IBU you're looking for.

The inverse of that is you have 150 IBU and you have to keep adding grains until you hit 45 or whatever you were trying to hit.

What about using a Muntons HME? would I still just put it at 1oz @ 5 minute's for a 3.3 lb can or should it be 2 oz?