Mr.Beer Community
kp

belgian spiced ale

Hi everyone. I am getting ready to brew a Belgian spiced ale that I just picked up. I read the directions and noticed there is a somewhat wide temperature range to ferment it at.could anyone tell me what a good temperature would be to let this ferment at.I use a fermenting chamber made from a mini refrigerator with the stc 1000 controller so I can keep the temps pretty close. Thanks and happy brewing everyone.

You should be good to ferment at 70. If you have the metric STC-1000 that would be 22.2 for your temp setting.

Depends on the flavor that you're looking for...

Higher end of the scale produces banana tones and lower end produces clove tones.  Obviously, the middle of that scale has reduced amounts of both.

I actually prefer the banana...

• Like 2

I fermented at a wort temperature of 61 to 64 degrees for three weeks. I just bottled it and it came out really nice and spicy even though it was still flat.

I fermented at a wort temperature of 61 to 64 degrees for three weeks. I just bottled it and it came out really nice and spicy even though it was still flat.

That's me also

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone.I think I will ferment it around 70 and see how it comes out.I don't care much for the taste of clove.

Thanks for the advice everyone.I think I will ferment it around 70 and see how it comes out.I don't care much for the taste of clove.

I am not a fan of clove either... But, I found the flavor with a nice spicy taste right up front and not the "clove" taste I was expecting.  But, the T-58 has a wide range (from about 53 to 77 degrees F) so I think you'll truly enjoy this beer.  So, if you keep the wort at 70, you'll get those flavors described by Vakko.

What kind of flavor would be expected if the initial fermentation (first week or so) was about 70 degrees and the final two weeks was closer to 62-65 degrees? Would the slices be more pronounced or the fruit flavor?

My Belgian Spice Ale is 1+ weeks and t-58 yeast is seemingly not as aggressive. Wort temps are averaging 65 - 68 only occasionally using an ice bottle.

Chekz Bavarian is producing more temp unless it is the cooler showing its age. t-05 was on rafts for one day before I let it warm up a bit.

I just picked up 2 more Belgian Spice.

My Belgian Spice Ale is 1+ weeks and t-58 yeast is seemingly not as aggressive. Wort temps are averaging 65 - 68 only occasionally using an ice bottle.

Chekz Bavarian is producing more temp unless it is the cooler showing its age. t-05 was on rafts for one day before I let it warm up a bit.

I just picked up 2 more Belgian Spice.

Yeah US-05 is more aggressive than T-58. 05 is my goto, I'll be using it in a kolsch today.

What kind of flavor would be expected if the initial fermentation (first week or so) was about 70 degrees and the final two weeks was closer to 62-65 degrees? Would the slices be more pronounced or the fruit flavor?

Thats the optimum temp I am aiming for. the natural taste of the intended blend should overcome fruit or clove taste. It is a lot of wort and a good ABV without killing the flavor with additives.

Did you put the spice bag?

• Like 1

Hi everyone.Ibrewed my Belgian spiced ale last night.I got the wort down to 70 degrees and pitched the yeast. I decided to leave the spice bag in for the full fermentation.I checked it this morning and the yeast seems to be quite happy.I have my chamber set to maintain 70 degrees with a half degree either way.This will sit for the full 21 days then ill check to see how it is.