Mr.Beer Community
Nickfixit

Mandarin Bavaria and Huell Melon Hops

HI, I saw these hops while looking for other things and got an oz of each to try out.

Has anyone used them? What result?

You have opinions on what beer to put them in?

I have seen Pale Ale and Belgian/German wheat beer or Belgian Farmhouse

Ideas and opinions???

I may just put them in something light like a CAL or Canadian Blonde just so I can really taste what is in the hop first before using it in heavy combination.

Never used either of them, but I imagine they'd both be good in any pale ale, IPA, or especially wheat beers.

I also got some Galaxy - Australian hop. I read tropical fruit in that ?

I also got some Galaxy - Australian hop. I read tropical fruit in that ?

I use galaxy quite a lot.  It's got a pretty high aa so you really want to watch it if you're bittering with it.  I would balance it with something else of lower aa for bitter.

Yes galaxy is fruity.  I'm really liking Equinox these days for citrus.

http://hopunion.com/Equinox/

Interesting hops substitution chart here.

https://www.alphaanalyticstesting.com/research-projects/

I probably will only use these for aroma or very limited short boil bittering addition.

To get a sense of the hop do you recommend I use 0.5 oz or 1 oz? (Melon, Mandarin or Galaxy)

I would only use 0.5 oz of Galaxy at the very end.  Tonight I'm trying .3 oz at 10 min and .2 oz at flame out.  Trying to take into account the time it takes me to bring my wort down to "cool" with a pot submersion in my sink.

I'm using .5 oz of Simcoe for the 60 min bittering though.

Thanks! I figure the other 2 are less strong so maybe I can do 0.5 oz  at end of boil and a 0.5 oz 7 day dry hop with them and I should get good aromas.

I am thinking of using this treatment with the melon with a wheat beer  - Bavarian Weissbier + 8 oz wheat extract, and the mandarin with the NW Pale Ale straight up.

I probably should have asked what volume you are making before telling you that.  Those amounts are for LBK sized batches. 

NW Pale MAndarin 20150514 095418

OK, I started a NW Pale with  0.5 oz Mandarina Bavaria in a bag at water boil.

They smelled really strong so I think I will not add the other 0.5 oz. (I had thought of dry hopping same beer with that )

I may put that in a Saison.

I might use these Huell Melon hops in a blonde-recipe I plan on using some strawberries in. Seems like a good fit.

:)

Interesting idea.   Please post recipe.

It's an LBK-sized version of the extract "Centennial Blonde" I saw over on HBT.com - here's the recipe:

3.30 lb Extra Light LME (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %

0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %

0.125 oz Centennial Hops [9.50% AA] (45 min) 7.8 IBU

0.125 oz CentennialHops  [9.50% AA] (20 min) 5.1 IBU

0.125 oz Cascade Hops [7.80% AA] (10 min) 2.5 IBU

0.125 oz Cascade Hops [7.80% AA] (5 min) 1.4 IBU

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar) Yeast

I would replace the Cascade with the Huell Melon hops, and maybe move the last, if not both, additions to a 30-minute hop-stand. IDK the "specs" on the HM hops, so I might need to play around a bit to keep the IBUs the same.

*EDIT* I see the HM hops are ~6.5% alpha acids, so really, just straight out replace the Cascades with them. I'd throw them in at flameout & do a 30-minute hopstand. Gorgeous.

Don't think I'd use Nottingham, US-05 won't dry it out as much.

The alphas are just an estimate anyway, What you get will probably not be the same.(mine never are)

IDK, I kind of like that Notty (or even S-04) is a beast and is known for finishing fast & cleaning up nicely. Besides, how many things should I change on a recipe I haven't even tried yet?

:D

OK I started the Huell Melon recipe.

I did a bit different, not having scales and based on what I had left in bags.

Briess Pilsner Light DME  ~ 0.3-0.4 lb

Briess Wheat DME           ~ 0.25 lb

Huell Melon Hop 0.5 oz  with 5 min boil in DMEs.

Aztek HME

Standard MrB yeast

Still debating whether to 7 day dry hop the Huell too with remaining 0.5 oz. ?????

• Like 1

Update - I bottled this today.

In case you are curious what I get from Huell Melon hop so far.

• During fermentation there was a strong melon smell.
  • On bottling, there was no real melon smell, taste was unidentifiable tropical fruit, a bit of hop astringency, and a very peppery finish - a little warming. 
  • Like 1

Update.

It first tasted rather dry and bitter but after 3 months it has mellowed out and now tasted quite nice, but not really melony. The pepper finish has gone and the wheat  characteristic has taken over. No wheat yeast flavors but good body and refreshing.

Interesting, please keep us updated as you taste these! I was thinking the Huell Melon hops would be a good choice in a wheat beer (or blonde) using strawberries. So far, I am still not dissuaded.

;)

I have a pale ale recipe that calls for some orange peel at the end, using Cascade exclusively. I was thinking of using some Mandarina Bavaria in place of some of the Cascade in places in that recipe.

Ah, already planning next year's brews...

:D

The Mandarin is also not strong flavored after a couple months at 0.5 oz/batch put in at end of boil. I am drinking the NW Pale ale with that in now too.

This is the recipe:

Batch Size: 2.5 gal
Boil Size: 2.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
1.5 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
0.50 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min)
0.25 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) (optional)
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min)
1Pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 3.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
55 min Steep Add 7.50 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

I would be looking at getting all my IBUs from a clean bittering hop (Magnum, Nugget, etc.), and those would be the only boiled hops. I would then take 1.5 ounces each Cascade & Mandarina Bavaria and use them in a hop-stand, then dry-hopping the brew after fermentation is complete with the remaining .5 ounce each of the hops.  No coriander for me, thanks. I think I also might use US-05, to let the orange peel & hops shine a bit brighter.

And yep - doubling up the hops.

Z02ebNe.gif

Had another bottle of  the Aztec with Huell Melon today. First opening in bowl glass could get some melony aromas.

The 2nd glass, today, was much more like a fruity wheat beer and had really good head retention and lacing - even the wheat cloudiness (excused - I will pretend it is a wheat beer). 

Looks like I did something right - lol.

Lacing Huell Melon Aztec 20151009 181017

• Like 1

Nickfixit, on 14 May 2015 - 1:17 PM, said:Nickfixit, on 14 May 2015 - 1:17 PM, said:

OK, I started a NW Pale with  0.5 oz Mandarina Bavaria in a bag at water boil.

They smelled really strong so I think I will not add the other 0.5 oz. (I had thought of dry hopping same beer with that )

I may put that in a Saison.

Now it is 3 months after bottling and I think it tastes the best so far. Nice light orangy aroma - not overpowering, and good pale ale taste. Does not taste of oranges.

Could possibly put more hop in.

Note the Melon hopped Aztek  also took 3 months to taste good.

• Like 1

Another bottle - Of Aztec with Melon hop  now the hop is not spicy and no strong aroma,  but the beer has a soft fruitiness that is really nice.

• Like 1

The last shipment I received had 4 oz of huell melon not on the manifest or the bill.  So I did an experiment I used 1 Muntons Connoisseurs Wheat HME, 1 3.3lb can of Briess Bavarian wheat 1# flaked wheat and 1# extra light DME.  Did the hop boils in the DME and 3/4 gal water .5 huell melon for 20 and 5 expected IBUs are 22. I am also using 06 @ 73f to encourage the banana. Lookin' for a brew to be drinking while sittin' under the mimosa after cutting the grass/trimming the hedges next summer.

7 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Lookin' for a brew to be drinking while sittin' under the mimosa after cutting the grass/trimming the hedges next summer.

You are one strange dude... 

amaretto-mimosa.png

In the north we sit under shade trees... 

Oh,  this is a mimosa TREE? 

mimosa-tree.jpg

I've grown a southern magnolia from seed and it sits in my back yard. it's probably close to 10' now. I can't sit under it yet bcuz the branches are to close to the ground, so for me to enjoy a cool homebrew under my tree, I lay on my belly, and crawl around for a better spot. I wonder if the neighbors ever notice me when i'm doing this?

I cannot imagine that your neighbors have ever noticed you engaging in strange behavior... 

• Like 1

Neighbors can also do strange things. After a glass of my homebrew many years ago my neighbor walked around with a colander on his head for a while. Of course I make much better beer now :-) so the class of headgear will improve.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Neighbors can also do strange things. After a glass of my homebrew many years ago my neighbor walked around with a colander on his head for a while. Of course I make much better beer now :-) so the class of headgear will improve.

Is your neighbor a Pastafarian?  Member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?  http://www.venganza.org/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I cannot imagine that your neighbors have ever noticed you engaging in strange behavior... 

LOL!

I think my neighbors hate my guts, everytime I see them out or they drive by I say hello or wave to them friendly, and they just give me cold dark looming stares???? shurly can't be my 1500 watt surround sound I listen to with all my windows open? and can't be all that bad neighbors, they never call 911 on me