Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Huggie's Highlands Brewery

Venturing out to a more complex recipe Hopiphany White IPA....need help & guidance

So today I purchased a Hopiphany White IPA recipe!!! Is this a good recipe? I'm starting to venture out to more complex recipes so I thought I would ask all you folks out there for some tips and tricks, especially with the Centennial and Falconer's Flight hops as I hear the instructions in this kit are vague about when how and where to add them to boil or after boil or dry hop. So as you can see I will need some guidance! I also purchased some 2014 harvest Canadian Chinook hops from Clear Valley Hop Farm a local hop farm near where I live. Which I may want to use in place of the Centennial but I'm not sure as yet!

Again any help and guidance you give is thoroughly appreciated!!

Thanks

Huggie

Never tried the IPA but I have used Falconer's Flight in a wheat ale. It gives a good mango flavor.

• Like 1

I'm starting to venture out to more complex recipes so I thought I would ask all you folks out there for some tips and tricks, especially with the Centennial and Falconer's Flight hops as I hear the instructions in this kit are vague about when how and where to add them to boil or after boil or dry hop.

Directions are very clear, dry hop after a week. http://www.mrbeer.com/hopiphany-white-ipa-recipe

Right in the instruction tab.

At the 1 week mark, place the contents of all the pellet hops packets into the sanitized hop sack tying it closed, then trim away excess material.

Open the lid of the fermenter and toss in the hop sack, replace lid.g

• Like 1

I use falconers hops on my northwest ipa, turned out great! I shud have added another half oz during fermentation

• Like 2

OK so I've added the falconers flight and centennial hops to the lbk and will dry hop until the 21 days of fermentation is done. But after the 21 days should I cold crash to clarify for a week or so? If so, when it is time to bottle will there still be enough yeast in suspension to carb this beer?

Cold crashing does not impact carbonation. You do it for 2-3 days, not a week.

• Like 1

Don't buy into the hop-sacks, man. Just go "commando"!

:D

Chinook would not be a suitable replacement for Centennial hops if you are looking for a similar flavour. Chinook is way more pine-y. I also have no idea how it would mix with the Falconer's Flight. You may want to get something like Columbus for a replacement, or experiment with the Chinook.

Bottled the Hopiphany IPA today. Smelled so good while bottling so hope thats a good sign?!? So how long do you guys think until this one is ready? Will it be weeks or months until its ready to drink?

Weeks. It should only take about 3 weeks until ready to drink (simply carbonate and drink). Unlike maltier beers, IPAs are intended to drink fresh while the hop flavor is at its peak. Over time, the hops flavor/aroma will dissipate through what is known as "hop degradation". Hop oils are volatile and will degrade over time. Some hops strains will degrade faster than others depending on several factors including alpha acid %, how it was stored, etc. This is also why I never encourage people to "stock up" on hops. They should be used within 8 weeks of purchase and not stored for extended periods of time.

There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as some Imperial IPAs. These are usually overly hopped so they can age well. After 3-6 months, the hop flavor is still strong, but much less bitter.

The very best way to get the most out of hops is to get them FRESH off the vine. Nothing's better than a "wet-hopped" IPA made with fresh hops.

• Like 3

Just tried this Hopiphany White IPA....its delicious!!! Hop forward but not super bitter the Falconer's Flight hops really are the superstars here. Like to do this one again and do a boil with the falconers and centennial hops for a sharper hoppiness just to try the difference. The colour turned out perfect and the 3 day cold crash cleared the haziness up perfectly too...I will definitely do this one again!!!

• Like 2