Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
frattonpk1

Witty Monk

I have two cans of witty monk waiting to be brewed, does anyone have any good recipes to compliment them

I have two cans of witty monk waiting to be brewed, does anyone have any good recipes to compliment them

You may want to consider buying new cans. We discontinued that product almost 5 years ago. 

• Like 3

Nope.  It's very old.  Every refill on it is obsolete.

I have two cans of witty monk waiting to be bre wed, does anyone have any good recipes to compliment them

Two cans alone of Witty Monk, in no more than 8 quarts of total volume in LBK, made a very pleasant, easy drinking beer. You could add a bag of booster, or even 1 to 1 1/2 cups of table sugar to give it a little more kick. That would even help smooth out any possible twang from being so old. The cans you have most likely have expired by now, but I've made plenty of drinkable beer out of expired extract. Life isn't always perfect, but that's when we adapt and bend a little. The biggest thing you'll notice is a darker color.

Why was the oatmeal stout shelved?  I was thinking about building one myself, but lack experience.  I have the Helles Bock carbonating and the Belgian Spice in the fermenter...nothing tasted yet except the FG pull of the Bock.

Because all were replaced by the new owner's products. The old products are available elsewhere.

Re oatmeal stout, you can find other similar recipes in the Mr B recipe list, but basically you need to steep 1-2 cups instant oatmeal (not salted) in a bag in the water at about 160 deg for 25 min or so. Leave the bag as big as you can so the water can circulate around the oats.

Use maybe 6 cups of water as the oatmeal will take some up - you want to end up with 4 cups of oatmeal infused water after you take the bag out  & chuck it - unless you are hungry then you can convert it to food.

Keep stirring  & poking at the oatmeal while it is soaking, to get the most out of it. I found the plate warmer on my stove top was enough to keep it at 160 - you can use a food thermometer to check. I think a sterno food warmer will do as well.

Bring  water to boil  then shut off heat - Then add the  Stout HME and additional  malts (smooth or robust malt as desired, and lactose/booster if desired), continue following Mr B recipe. Mr B yeast will be OK or you can use S-04. For additional choc flavor, you can include 4 oz crushed choc malt grains with the oatmeal. If you want it more hoppy, check Rick B hop chart or forum there are a lot of discussions on hop boiling or dry hopping. But I found the Mr B stout had plenty of hops for me.

I made a nice oatmeal porter by doing it this way with the oatmeal, Mr B porter, and 2 robust LME packs.

• Like 1