Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
1side4

Temperature

Bottled my Nortwest Pale Ale about two weeks ago and have been storing them in room temp. of about 70 degrees in the case. Now that it is warming up here in the northeast the house gets anywhere from 70 to 74 degrees during the day, I would put them in the basement but the temperature down there is about 61 to 64 degrees, would that be okay in the basement? I have about two weeks to go before I was going to put them in the frig. Any suggestions would be great.

The basement is on the cool side, but you'll be fine.  If anything you'd just have to extend the conditioning time a little.  Say three weeks instead of 2, but I really doubt it.  Keep them up on a shelf instead of the floor, if you can.  My basement stays around 63 on the floor (which I store all my beer, btw) to 65-68 on counters/shelves (which I condition all my beer at).  

74 is perfectly fine. 61-64 would take a few more weeks carb/age. In my opinion anything below 80F is fine but would not personally go over 80. There are people here who go well above that but in my PERSONAL experience I have had issues with age temp above 80F and CHOOSE not to risk it.

You should leave them upstairs unless you have to move them down to the basement.

ur gonna love the northwest ipa, it was my 2nd brew ive ever done, and I loved it! although I did add a booster and pale lme to it, still its a keeper!  

• Like 1

After RickBeer's comments on my wort temperatures, I have been measuring wort and ambient and in first few days of ferment have seen the wort get as much as 7 degrees above ambient indicated.  It calms down after a few days usually. The temp goes up even if no big foaming on the wort surface.

So be careful, I think the indicated temperatures are wort temp not room temp. e.g. for Astronut Brown Ale in 2nd day I am 62 deg ambient and 70 deg. wort.  I have the LBK in a plastic tub on the basement floor. Ambient thermometer is on tub bottom,  wort temp is from thermometer taped to lbk with insulation on top of thermometer under tape.

As the wort cools I will move it off the floor to a table where it does not benefit so much from Earth chilling through basement cement floor. Air there is ~ 66 deg. I have 2 other LBKs there that are over their initial fermenting enthusiasm. (Choc Oatmeal Porter, and Golden One.)

My bottled ones, I usually store in 70 deg or more until they get carbonated then on the basement floor.

• Like 1

The OP has BOTTLED his beer and wants to know if storing it at 70 or above is ok - or if he needs to move it to his cooler basement.  As I told him, 70 or above is fine and he should leave it upstairs and not move it to his cooler basement unless he needs to for space or SWMBO.  

• Like 1