Mr.Beer Community
dickauge

how do I batch prime?

I have the 2.5 mr beer keg. I have been priming by adding sugar to each bottle. If I want to add sugar to the keg right b4 bottling, how do I do it? Concerned if I add sugar to keg and stir that the gunk will get mixed up in the beer while bottling

I've batch primed stirring sanitized sugar (boiled in water) directly in the LBK and if you are careful it doesn't stir up that much trub.  But a better way is to use a bottling bucket and add the sugar to that before siphoning the beer into it.

You really don't want to use your LBK.  

You need another LBK or a 2.5 gallon slimline from Walmart or a bottling bucket.  I use a slimline.   Dissolve the right amount of sugar in a cup of boiling water, let it cool, then add it to the bottling bucket/LBK/slimline.   Using a hose from the nozzle of the LBK transfer the contents of the LBK to the bottling bucket/LBK/slimline, gently stir, and bottle.  

• Like 4

It's well worth the investment to get an extra LBK for this very purpose.  A well respected brewing guru once told me to go to Lowe's and pick up some food grade tubing that you can hook to the LBK spigot (7/16 outside & 5/16 inside diameter, 6' is about $2.00).  Sanitize everything that will contact the beer, dissolve the correct amount of sugar (46.2 grams) into 2/3rd cup of boiling water, cool, and pour into your new, SANITIZED LBK.  Hook the tubing to the LBK with the beer and transfer into the new LBK without aerating.  Stir gently half way through the transfer and when completed.  You now have batch primed.  When you bottle, gently stir the beer every 8-10 bottles. 

• Like 4

Thanks Ed h,

I have read about this but never discovered the proper formula. 46.2 G sugar + 2/3 cup boiling water combing the two into one sterile container, @ bottling.

Cheers

I use between half and 2/3 cup of water for a 5gal batch, usually use .5 cup for a LBK size batch.

Get a bottling wand and a few feet of tubing. You won't be sorry, I promise.

• Like 1