Mr.Beer Community
tb_tyler

Laser engraved bottles

I wanted to show off my new beer bottles. I am a graphic designer by trade, and at my current job I have access to a laser engraver. I wasn't sure how the bottles would do, but I think it came out pretty cool. This is the test bottle so it has a couple imperfections, but overall I'm super pleased. What do you think? 

post-64876-0-55469100-1430766840_thumb.j

• Like 3

It looks, well, it looks, ah, sort of, well, like nothing...

I had the same thought, but don't have access to the equipment. But I think it looks great, better than any label.

• Like 1

I plan to make up some small circle labels for the caps to differentiate between each brew. Or, the Sharpie method seems to be working okay.

How deep does the engraving go? My initial worry is degradation of the strength of the bottle.

It does look super-cool though!

How deep does the engraving go? My initial worry is degradation of the strength of the bottle.

It does look super-cool though!

The engraving is just barely scratching the surface. We did some glass vases recently and did plenty of testing. When you run your finger over the engraved area it just has a bit of a rough texture. I don't think there is any way it is compromising the strength of the bottle. I wasn't sure what color the engraved parts would be, but I think it turned out perfect. That is a Sierra Nevada bottle by the way.

It seems you could use some sort of dye on the etched parts to colour it if you wanted.

Nice job!

It seems you could use some sort of dye on the etched parts to colour it if you wanted.

Nice job!

Definitely. You can use painters tape on the area you engrave. The laser will take away the tape and engrave the glass at the same time. Then you can fill in those areas with paint--it basically makes a stencil for you. But, I actually really like the color it came out. 

Yeah if you're going to fill the lines you might as well screen print or pad print your bottles.  Which is a separate thread I might try some time.

Nice job btw.

Yeah if you're going to fill the lines you might as well screen print or pad print your bottles.  Which is a separate thread I might try some time.

Nice job btw.

I was only thinking something like the words "original handcrafted" could be coloured in, a nice red to make it pop or something like that.

:)