Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
lastmacuser

Lagunitas

Lagunitas IPAs have a different mouth feel to me compared to other IPAs. I no expert by any means but it feels fuller or heavier if that makes sense to anybody. I know it weighs the same. I am just trying describe. Do they do something different? Can we make a version of their style here? Any recipes? Thanks.

Don't know the science behind it. I do know I really like any Lagunita beer I've tried.

It could be a simple as the yeast, i.e. I make my APA with US-05 and with an OG of .059 the expected FG is .013.  If I use S-33 instead the FG is .015. that has to translate into a "heaver" taste.

They tend to use a LOT of high oil hops in their beers such as Columbus, Amarillo, Chinook, Warrior, Simcoe, Apollo, Summit, etc.(They really love thier hops). The oils in the hops can contribute to mouthfeel and body. But they're also very good at providing a great malt backbone to their IPAs. I personally think Lagunitas Maximus is one of the best IPAs ever made. They are truly a great brewery and another reason why I think the west coast is superior when it comes to great breweries (thought the rest of the country is quickly catching up).

• Like 2