Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sammytheattackbasset

Beer carbonated for 8 weeks?

I bottled my last beer about 8 weeks ago. It was the Mexican style lager. I took a bottle out at 4 weeks and tasted it after it was cool. It still had a green apple taste so I left the rest of the beer alone. I do landscaping and it being spring I've been very busy and have been putting off refrigerating the rest of the beer. Well I put some in a couple days ago and am trying it tonight. It's pretty good, I was just wondering how long before I need to drink this beer? I've heard that the taste gets better with time, but at what point does the taste start to suffer?

It depends on which beer it is. Some only get better with time.

• Like 1

Anytime after the "green apple" goes away. With a couple exceptions, the longer it sits the better it gets.

• Like 2

The stronger ones get better age improvement than the lighter ones. I would think you would not see much better out of the light ones after 4-5 months. but the stronger ones will get better after that even.

• Like 1

From my experience with the cervesa, the green taste does not go away entirely.  After this much time I would say you should just start drinking them.

• Like 1

If you're using glass bottles, the flavor will never fall off.  In PET bottles, it will take a couple of years for penetrating oxygen to cause off-flavors.

• Like 1

If you're using glass bottles, the flavor will never fall off.  In PET bottles, it will take a couple of years for penetrating oxygen to cause off-flavors.

should be noted, unless your coughing up extra cash for oxygen barrier caps(I ain't), glass bottles got the same problems as plastic for long term storage.

• Like 1

should be noted, unless your coughing up extra cash for oxygen barrier caps(I ain't), glass bottles got the same problems as plastic for long term storage.

True, both vessels have oxygen issues that are inside the bottle.  But plastic has an added foe of being permeable by outside oxygen, too.  But again, that's only an issue after years of storage.

I tried my first Leggy Blond after 4 weeks of conditioning about 3 weeks ago and it was still quite green and absolutely no head on it at all.  It looked like a glass of apple juice.  So, I let it set this past 3 weeks and put one in the fridge 3 days ago to give it another shot.  I was amazed at the difference 3 weeks can make.  This bottle had a nice creamy head (although very little retention) and a very nice taste, although just a slight hint of green apple.  Me thinks in another month, this Leggy Blond should be ready for consumption.  I can't attest to how long it could set in the dark and condition without going bad, because I am sure these will be drank well before any expiration date. 

True, both vessels have oxygen issues that are inside the bottle.  But plastic has an added foe of being permeable by outside oxygen, too.  But again, that's only an issue after years of storage.

No more basic...the liner in a pry off cap is plastic. So they really are just as susceptible.