Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

New Website Launch!!

The new website is now LIVE!! To celebrate this occasion, we are offering our new seasonal, the Helles Bock for 25% off!! That sale only goes until Sunday. But if you miss it, don't worry, we will have a LOT of sales in the coming days to celebrate the new website.

Please feel free to point out any bugs, errors, or other issues regarding the site. Our staff worked really hard the past few months getting this ready, but there still may be a few issues that need to be resolved in the coming days. Your input is greatly appreciated.  Please post your questions or issues here.

Remember, all passwords have been reset, so to use log into the new site, please reset your password.

Cheers!! :D

Looks good!

LBK is back $10!

Still no 24LX sold seperately :angry:

Wow, it looks great. Good Job to all the people you have working on it.

Awwwww.... my wishlists are gone :'(

Addition...

Looks like you're tracking our reviews now.  Guess I need to resubmit.

The standard refills now comes with a pouch of booster.

I type in Mr. Beer and it takes me to Mr. Root Beer. Yikes..

Booster? Mistake.

• Like 1

Hmm. Can't log into my account. 

Did you reset your password? You will have to on the new site.

Booster? Mistake.

Same here.  Unless I use www.

Sales Locations - Hobby Works sells the Beer Kits ? ? Seems not what I would expect.

Do they have a full range of HMEs?

They are a toy, model, craft & RC and hobby store. I suppose there will be a different set of exposures there. I will have to go look, I suppose.

Otherwise, none of the other places I have seen  Mr B Kits in are listed on the Sales Locations Map. (Sears, Kmart, Walmart, Target, Total Wine, etc.)

I visited the nearest Hobby Works store as their website indicated the 6 International for a real good price. But all they had was a Cider refill.

They apparently typically stock only 1 as it is not really their business  - which is models and RC and educational kits. Oh Well.

More representative stocking outlets please Mr B!

I think the new site is A-OK. Was able to easily reset my password, resign in and navigate. Now to troll the site until I have enough expendable cash to purchased some recipes.

Have not needed to change password - I am logged in.

Nice looking website and congrats on migrating the forum stuff OK.

Nice ways to filter the recipes. and nice pictures of the brews but I am not sure about the category of brews with < 1 month lagering time - I would figure some of those really need more, especially the stronger ones.

And I see CAL is a little cheaper.

oooers...the new site ... its so pretty!  (snicker)  it really does look good.

you guys have come a long way.. well done!   the product line... the support... the new launch of the forum... the fact you guys actually care and interact with us...  bravo!

thanks!

• Like 1

I liked the old site better, the new one is too corporate and it still has some glitches so what's the point of changing it .  

Mr. Beer changed a lot once Cooper's took over and it seems like they're  just relabeling Coopers products and selling them as Mr. Beer exclusives when they're not.

The new XL fermenters are the same as Coopers fermenters which are great if your Australian or Canadian but I'm American and MB is located in Arizona which last time I checked is still part of the United States, and they're clear ,What? They should at least be brown.

The LBK should be the only fermenter that MB offers if I wanted a big clear fermenter I would 've started with the Cooper's Kit. Your cult following is for MB stuff not Cooper's. 

HME cans should by this time be a pull open top, this would take the need for a can opener out of the basic equation, especially since the new cans are a pain to open.

Less glue on the labels of the cans, that's half the reason they're so hard to open

Offer different MB yeasts with the appropriate refill, if its a lager include a lager yeast, a wheat a wheat yeast etc. and they should be your own brand by this point

Bring Back coupon codes that can be used on sale items as well, the Cooper's logo went on the products and this was taken away! Why?

Free shipping should always be offered during a sale.

• Like 1

The standard refills now comes with a pouch of booster.

Yes, we are now including the Booster to up that ABV a bit.  No price change.

My wish list is completely gone and I can't remember everything I had on it... :angry:

Send a message into the support and we will grab what was in your wish list.

Booster? Mistake.

No mistake.  We are now including it because the forum wanted higher ABV.  So, no charge.  It is now included.

I liked the old site better, the new one is too corporate and it still has some glitches so what's the point of changing it .  

Mr. Beer changed a lot once Cooper's took over and it seems like they're  just relabeling Coopers products and selling them as Mr. Beer exclusives when they're not.

The new XL fermenters are the same as Coopers fermenters which are great if your Australian or Canadian but I'm American and MB is located in Arizona which last time I checked is still part of the United States, and they're clear ,What? They should at least be brown.

The LBK should be the only fermenter that MB offers if I wanted a big clear fermenter I would 've started with the Cooper's Kit. Your cult following is for MB stuff not Cooper's. 

HME cans should by this time be a pull open top, this would take the need for a can opener out of the basic equation, especially since the new cans are a pain to open.

Less glue on the labels of the cans, that's half the reason they're so hard to open

Offer different MB yeasts with the appropriate refill, if its a lager include a lager yeast, a wheat a wheat yeast etc. and they should be your own brand by this point

Bring Back coupon codes that can be used on sale items as well, the Cooper's logo went on the products and this was taken away! Why?

Free shipping should always be offered during a sale.

Sorry that you don't like the new style.  After 7 years we just felt the need for a change.  Our group thought it was less corporate, but everyone has an opinion and I value yours.  Just to know, we did base the 8LX on the Coopers design because it does work so well.  As far as clear or brown, at the fermentation stage it is for aesthetics anyways.  The brown does look better on the countertop if that is where you keep it.  It had been said on the forum quite a few times on how people like to see the yeast doing their thing.  Clear fermenter.

That pull top idea has been thrown around for about ten years.  It adds cost to the can which I cannot pass on to you guys.  It adds the a higher potential for cuts, and we found that it also made it more difficult to get all of that precious malt out.  Most notably in the big cans.  Yeah, we have tested it.  Instead we have been looking at the soft packs that our current non hopped malt extract comes in.  It is lighter for better shipping costs, you can open it with a scissors, and does not dent.  We will be continuing to look at all options. 

I will look into your yeast question.  We do have three different yeasts that are attached to our cans right now.  We do not market them separately, but could.

Thank you for your comments. 

• Like 3

The only opinions that matter are the customers' opinions, which are seen by their purchase behavior, and properly evaluated via multivariate or A/B testing (i.e. scientifically).  Unfortunately, many times a major site overhaul makes it impossible / very difficult to do testing, so this type of change happens.  That makes it impossible to see whether the old is better than the new, and you get statements like "it's much better" without factual information.  You also tend to lose any analytic comparison when old pages disappear and new pages appear at different addresses, and more importantly take a huge hit to natural search unless every single page that existed prior is redirected via the proper method to ensure no loss in natural search.  

Mr. Beer isn't the first company to do something like this, and won't be the last.  Hopefully it goes well for them.  I prefer when sites change via solid testing methodology vs. like this, but that's my preference.

Apparently no one knew this before redesigning the site... http://www.wsj.com/articles/whole-foods-calls-the-shots-for-startups-1430904782  

Whole Foods flagged the cursive script on High Road Craft Ice Cream’s packaging when the Marietta, Ga., company was working on a new ice cream for the grocer, BLVD Tasty Ice Cream, a company executive said. “Millennials can’t read cursive,” Shaun Chavis, High Road’s director of sales and marketing, recalled a Whole Foods buyer saying.

Pull-tab to open top cans are tougher to clean out all the malt, can opener is OK.

Re: Booster added to refills. Thanks - for me more use than carb drops! I will use it but I thought the motto was MORE FLAVOR, LESS WORRY ON ABV?

I see from Cooper forums that it appears that some yeasts are a mix of Ale and Lager in the Cooper packet (based on date code etc. ) that looks interesting for the outcome and more temperature adaptable. I also did not see yeasts separately for sale on Cooper's.

Happy that the site gives navigation to the Cooper's and Mr B site. Will we get Coopers sale/discount items as well as Mr B?  DO they do that? I guess we can sign up on Coopers as well & see.

I tried resetting my password last night, but yet have not received an email?

I sent an E-mail to you craftbeersyndrome.  Sorry for any inconvenience, but we'll get it resolved.

Happy that the site gives navigation to the Cooper's and Mr B site. Will we get Coopers sale/discount items as well as Mr B?  DO they do that? I guess we can sign up on Coopers as well & see.

"They" is "them".  Coopers site is run by Mr. Beer.  

Yes, but the Coopers has different logins for forum (AU) and purchase (North America). So I see it as a different but linked site. It is not integrated for ordering and I figure is not linked for discounts or sales to Mr B logins or customer mailings.

Booster? Mistake.

.............maybe u need to stay with root beer lol!

I like the new look! btw, I finally shaved the hair off my back, and now i'm sporting a new look!

OK, I don't like the fact that half the screen stays as one setup and everything we have to scroll through takes up only the bottom half. If this is due to catering to "mobile users," which MB admits makes up only 30% of their traffic, then it's a bad move IMHO.

Maybe have a separate site/access for mobile users so we who use our phones to phone and our computers to computer won't be punished?

:(

I sent an E-mail to you craftbeersyndrome.  Sorry for any inconvenience, but we'll get it resolved.

Yeah, I received the email and replied. Didn't see anything about a password reset. I've got faith in you Josh! :)

The new site looks good - only problem is that it recognizes my email address but not my password and has not sent me an email to allow me to reset my password... Luddites of the world unite!

Too bad there can't be a choice on what to get with your basic kit. I am not a fan of the Booster, but the carb drops seem to work great! I admit, I thought it was one whole drop per 12 oz. bottle, as there are 24 drops in the bag & you are "supposed" to get 24 12 oz. bottles out of a batch, so that's what I did - also, 2 drops for a 750 mL bottle, and half of that is 375; 12 oz.= 355mL, so close enough, right? Then I read it is 3/4 of one carb drop per 12 oz. bottle, but I have no bottle bombs and the carbonation on the testers I have opened have been a little high, but not too much for the style (Klondike Gold is an amber ale) I'd say. I did do a test with a 16 oz. aluminum bottle, and it was solid-feeling after about 5 days.

Heck, even the choice between Booster and a Soft-Pack LME would be great. It's all the same price, right? But I guess that would add a step in the making-up of the kits, so that might not be feasible. Just letting my brain run right now, sorry.

Whatever you do, don't phase out the LBK.  In my opinion it is the main thing that makes MB unique from the other DIY beer kits.  It is a smart design for a compact fermenter.

• Like 7

It appears I am going to have to create a new account.  I've attempted multiple times by clicking "Forgot My Password" to no avail.  I spoke to Renee recently and she was sending me an email to change my password and again, I did not receive the email. It must be something with my email address.  But, since I don't have a wish list anymore and all my orders have been received, and I have a spreadsheet showing what I have, I suppose the history is not overly important. 

No, it's not you.  It's them I think.  I never got my two emails either.   It's a poor setup too - it says IF there is an account associated with that email address, it will send a link.  If there is not, you get nothing, not even the message "We could not find any account with that email address".  So it's an offline function, and it's not working (I just gave a phony address and got the same message, verifying they aren't checking in real time).

• Like 1

It appears I am going to have to create a new account.  I've attempted multiple times by clicking "Forgot My Password" to no avail.  I spoke to Renee recently and she was sending me an email to change my password and again, I did not receive the email. It must be something with my email address.  But, since I don't have a wish list anymore and all my orders have been received, and I have a spreadsheet showing what I have, I suppose the history is not overly important.

Ed h, I've sent you a PM.  Lets get you set up.

No, it's not you.  It's them I think.  I never got my two emails either.   It's a poor setup too - it says IF there is an account associated with that email address, it will send a link.  If there is not, you get nothing, not even the message "We could not find any account with that email address".  So it's an offline function, and it's not working (I just gave a phony address and got the same message, verifying they aren't checking in real time).

RickBeer, the immediate feedback on whether or not an e-mail address is valid is more of a security feature than anything, albeit a very minimal one.  To run any e-mail against our DB would not be taxing enough to warrant any sort of easy way out.  That said, we are having complaints that the system generated e-mails are not always being sent/received.  It's something we're looking into very closely, but as of yet, I haven't been able to replicate the results under accounts that i have access to.

We're looking into the problem, and will let everyone know when we feel it has been resolved.  

Thanks again for everyone's patience and input!

• Like 1

I leave it in your capable hands.  Now it's time to go back and continue reading threads that will help me brew my next batches... I'm considering more advanced recipes, but I've not read nearly enough about the different yeasts, which hops to use, what it means to add hops at 20, I have a lot to learn...

• Like 2

To get an idea of what hops are what, find a site that gives a description of the hops flavour and maybe what one could replace it with. To get a better idea of what each smells & tastes like, and which go with each other for your taste, get a 12-pack of something really light (Colorado water in the bottles with the silver labels might be best) and get some hops, many different kinds. Crack one beer open, drop a few pellets of one kind of hops in, then seal it back up, mark the cap, and let them sit for a few days. Do this with each bottle, and then do a taste-test after 4-5 days. Then, pour some into a small glass and mix it with another one of the bottles to get an idea of what the mixture tastes like.

There's a graphic out there that arguably tells you what you will get out of hops at each stage of the boil as well. Essentially, the long-boil is for bittering, the near-20 minute boil is for flavour, and the sub-10-minute boil and dry-hop for aroma.

But, please, read what you can and learn! It's how I have come about with so much of what I know, and I am still learning every day.

• Like 3

To get an idea of what hops are what, find a site that gives a description of the hops flavour and maybe what one could replace it with. To get a better idea of what each smells & tastes like, and which go with each other for your taste, get a 12-pack of something really light (Colorado water in the bottles with the silver labels might be best) and get some hops, many different kinds. Crack one beer open, drop a few pellets of one kind of hops in, then seal it back up, mark the cap, and let them sit for a few days. Do this with each bottle, and then do a taste-test after 4-5 days. Then, pour some into a small glass and mix it with another one of the bottles to get an idea of what the mixture tastes like.

There's a graphic out there that arguably tells you what you will get out of hops at each stage of the boil as well. Essentially, the long-boil is for bittering, the near-20 minute boil is for flavour, and the sub-10-minute boil and dry-hop for aroma.

But, please, read what you can and learn! It's how I have come about with so much of what I know, and I am still learning every day.

Slym,

Thanks. That is a great idea of using different hop pellets in a very "light beverage" to help to develop a flavor profile. I'm definitely going to try that!!

I saw that either on this site or another home brew site, and am going to do it myself at some point (when I get $ to blow on just hops).

Ah, and thanks to Jim Johnson for the graphic!

B)

I like the look.  to me it does not look to corporate, more like welcome to 2015.  

I'm not terribly patient when following directions, but my password reset went shockingly easy.  

and i love top static bar... I make spreadsheets all the time and usually lock in a top header.  That way I can make the font huge and readable, and scroll with my column headers still visible.   

"Millennials can’t read cursive,” Shaun Chavis, High Road’s director of sales and marketing, recalled a Whole Foods buyer saying.

I can vouch for that statement. In 50 years kids won't know how to write at all. I picture someone staring at a pen and wondering where the letter keys are, or tapping their fingers on a blank page. 

Just returned from a work trip so checking out the new website.  I did not dislike the old one and I am sure I will like the new one, already a few things I see that I like.  One big thing I dislike so far (maybe I just haven't found it yet).  I was brewing up two batches this weekend.  I wanted to look at the recipe pages to figure out what two brews to make.  I looked all over for the "recipe by HME" and could not find it.  If its out there can someone point me to it and if its not Josh PLEASE can we put it back in.  So easy to look what I have on a shelf and just go to a list of recipes that use what I have and than I can decide what to make.

• Like 2

Just returned from a work trip so checking out the new website.  I did not dislike the old one and I am sure I will like the new one, already a few things I see that I like.  One big thing I dislike so far (maybe I just haven't found it yet).  I was brewing up two batches this weekend.  I wanted to look at the recipe pages to figure out what two brews to make.  I looked all over for the "recipe by HME" and could not find it.  If its out there can someone point me to it and if its not Josh PLEASE can we put it back in.  So easy to look what I have on a shelf and just go to a list of recipes that use what I have and than I can decide what to make.

Yes, we are adding this feature ASAP.

OK, I don't like the fact that half the screen stays as one setup and everything we have to scroll through takes up only the bottom half. If this is due to catering to "mobile users," which MB admits makes up only 30% of their traffic, then it's a bad move IMHO.

Maybe have a separate site/access for mobile users so we who use our phones to phone and our computers to computer won't be punished?

:(

Actually, mobile users now make up close to 50% of our traffic.

Can't login.  Won't send me a mail to reset my password.  I tried on Saturday and today, nothing...

Actually, mobile users now make up close to 50% of our traffic.

I don't like how half the screen is filled when I'm scrolling on an item page.

I browse the forum on my phone, but the main site I access on my PC.

• Like 1