Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Keith'sBrew

Booster?

I noticed that with the new website launch, all the standard refills now include a booster pack.  Interesting.  I remember reading that Mr. Beer used to include booster with refills, but then they switched to all malt.  I'm not sure why they did that.  The booster description states "to add alcohol and body."  If one is not concerned about adding ABV, would it be best to leave the booster out?

BTW: The new website looks good.

Absolutely can leave it out, or just order the can and save a buck.  You can always use it in another brew sometime.

• Like 1

You can always put it in as well, it will help with head retention and body. I do not find it impacts taste much.

OK I see - under "Ingredients" you can get just the can for $1 less.

I little but tougher to navigate too if on some screens, same as other screens that do not have the same menu dropdowns at the top.

All the screens should have that menu set at the top.

e.g. this one http://www.mrbeer.com/ingredients?cat=76  does not.

• Like 1

I applaud your, chase flavor not ABV, attitude. You could steep 4oz carapils and add 4-6oz of DME

• Like 1

I noticed that with the new website launch, all the standard refills now include a booster pack.  Interesting.  I remember reading that Mr. Beer used to include booster with refills, but then they switched to all malt.  I'm not sure why they did that.  The booster description states "to add alcohol and body."  If one is not concerned about adding ABV, would it be best to leave the booster out?

BTW: The new website looks good.

I'll chime in on the "chase flavor not abv" thing. While I generally agree, there are some styles you might eventually want to brew that rely on a certan alcohol content to give them their character. Imperial IPAs, imperial stouts, and barleywines are a few examples, and you need a certain ABV to get within style guidelines. There's nothing wrong with that. What you don't want to do is this: "YEEE-HAW, Imma dump 10 pounds of corn sugar in this recipe and get f***ed up! WOO!"  That will taste like sh*t.

• Like 6

I actually just ordered 10 packs of booster so I can make a ton of summer lager for my in-laws and the holidays.  And later today, I'm making a Japanese inspired lager with 2lbs of rice syrup solids.

Booster is perfectly acceptable for certain styles of beer.  Everything I make can't be Imperial IPAs that will get bull drunk after 2 bottles.

I hear the Booster is also good at making hard cider a little harder.

-slym

As a casual observation - no real proof - I thought that the beers that I made with booster took longer to condition and lose that cidery, green beer taste. Again, I may be wrong, but this was my impression the couple of times I used it. 

• Like 2

Other than being cheaper, is there any reason to use the booster instead of DME?

1 slight one. It has maltodextrin in it. That'll help with mouth feel and head retention.

• Like 1

I made the Klondike Gold recipe and it has both Booster & an LME "SoftPack". I tested one at a week in the bottle, and the beer still seemed a little thin & watery. It was very green though, & IDK if those things get better with conditioning.

Other than being cheaper, is there any reason to use the booster instead of DME?

The Booster & the LME SoftPack are the same price on the website. With that, I am really wondering why they didn't stay all-malt. 1.3% ABV gain v/s "just" 1% ABV gain, I'd gladly trade the .3% for staying all-malt.

• Like 2

The other reason to use the booster is if you do not want it more malty but want higher ABV and more body. I like it for that reason.

The other reason to use the booster is if you do not want it more malty but want higher ABV and more body. I like it for that reason.

Not more malty? What does this "not more malty mean"? Seems like a crime against society as we know it... :)

• Like 2

LOL, I like the lightness of some of the beers for refreshing taste and especially after mowing the lawn.

I like beer but do not tolerate strong beer well. After about 1/2 cup Dortmunder Export (after I defused the bottle bomb syndrome) I get twinkly feeling behind my eyes.  Nice beer, and I would love to park my behind right down and sip a pint, but not productive if I have to do anything useful - or even stand up probably by the taste of it.

I have to be able to find the car dealership this p.m. for a service call. Oh yeah, it is over to the west somewhere (?)

• Like 1

The Booster & the LME SoftPack are the same price on the website. With that, I am really wondering why they didn't stay all-malt. 1.3% ABV gain v/s "just" 1% ABV gain, I'd gladly trade the .3% for staying all-malt.

Yep, but they're 12 and 8 oz. packages, respectively. More bang for your buck with the sugar...er, booster pack. "Bang" being "alcohol" in this case.

What kind of beer do you brew in which this would be desireable? To me a thinner-flavored beer with heavier mouthfeel sounds weird. I'm not knocking it or anything, I've just never used the booster so I'm trying to understand its purpose. Maybe like a cream ale or something?

• Like 1

I'm with Nick. Say you're making a beer and you want a little more kick to it, but don't want to get it any maltier, booster will do that. I'll use a half bag every once in a while. I wouldn't say you get a heavier mouthfeel from it. That's kinda subjective.

• Like 1

I used booster in 4 of my first recipes, including at least one with LME also.  I did not like any of the results, much prefer adding LME.

To the question of why Mr. Beer now has a plus booster version and a plus LME version, one has to wonder if down the road they'll end up creating 5% cans of LME, with no "plus anything".  Wait, aren't those called "Craft Series"?   

• Like 1

Yep, but they're 12 and 8 oz. packages, respectively. More bang for your buck with the sugar...er, booster pack. "Bang" being "alcohol" in this case.

What kind of beer do you brew in which this would be desireable? To me a thinner-flavored beer with heavier mouthfeel sounds weird. I'm not knocking it or anything, I've just never used the booster so I'm trying to understand its purpose. Maybe like a cream ale or something?

I like a lot of different kinds of beer, see my signature. But I find that brewing the plain simple ones, that folks say are too light and not good, i.e. CAL, Aztec, Canadian Blonde, come out much crisper finish for me if I add a pack booster and a little extra hop.

I find them refreshing without being cloying. They are already more malty than the commercial lights, and the booster gives a little more body and oomph (but not like a dark beer) and more head. I have used 0.5 oz dry hop of Cascade successfully - it gives a nice extra delicate floral aroma and a touch of extra tartness. I plan on trying heavier dry hopping but have not yet except with IPAs (1 oz was good there). I notice some Belgian beers for instance get most of hopping from dry hop rather than boiling so I find that interesting because I like aroma more than innate bitterness.

On the malt sizes, You can store part used DME by folding and sealing the bag . Part used LME is a pain though. It is a pain anyway to measure out from larger containers so use-all packets are great.

Josh -  thanks for erasing the extra bonus 6 copies of this posting. Must be because I kept hitting post because I did not see the post actually take and display properly so I figured it was not sent right. That happened for a long time.

• Like 1

I like a lot of different kinds of beer, see my signature. But I find that brewing the plain simple ones, that folks say are too light and not good, i.e. CAL, Aztec, Canadian Blonde, come out much crisper finish for me if I add a pack booster and a little extra hop.

I find them refreshing without being cloying. They are already more malty than the commercial lights, and the booster gives a little more body and oomph (but not like a dark beer) and more head. I have used 0.5 oz dry hop of Cascade successfully - it gives a nice extra delicate floral aroma and a touch of extra tartness. I plan on trying heavier dry hopping but have not yet except with IPAs (1 oz was good there). I notice some Belgian beers for instance get most of hopping from dry hop rather than boiling so I find that interesting because I like aroma more than innate bitterness.

On the malt sizes, You can store part used DME by folding and sealing the bag . Part used LME is a pain though. It is a pain anyway to measure out from larger containers so use-all packets are great.

You just posted this 6 times...lol. I erased the extra posts.

What are these "light beers" you speak of?   :D

After making recipes that utilized the American Ale, Patriot Lager, and Aztec refills I resolved that I would never again utilize the American Ale, Patriot Lager, or Aztec refills...   :o

That's why I have 5 cans of CAL sitting downstairs that I got in my cheap Target LBK purchases, hoping that my Craigslist ad comes through.  Otherwise, I might have to do one of these CAL plus grain steep plus LME plus hops recipes so that I can complain about that one too.   ;)

• Like 2

You just posted this 6 times...lol. I erased the extra posts.

I believe there is a glitch in the forum software.  Happened to me twice in the past few days, but never before that.  Anything on the forum side get tweaked by the MrBeer.com update?  

There are many BJCP styles that use adjuncts.  Sunday, I made a traditional Japanese lager using rice syrup solids (2:1 ratio vs malt).

Only way to see if you like booster is to try it out.  I just used 1/2lb of booster in a session IPA last week to keep the malty flavor down and to keep the color as pale as possible while still having a decent ABV around 5.9%.

I believe there is a glitch in the forum software.  Happened to me twice in the past few days, but never before that.  Anything on the forum side get tweaked by the MrBeer.com update?  

Not that I know of, but yes I've had to erase multiple comments from a few people so I also believe it's something on our end. I'll have JoshB look into it if it continues.

After making recipes that utilized the American Ale, Patriot Lager, and Aztec refills I resolved that I would never again utilize the American Ale, Patriot Lager, or Aztec refills...   :o

That's why I have 5 cans of CAL sitting downstairs that I got in my cheap Target LBK purchases, hoping that my Craigslist ad comes through.  Otherwise, I might have to do one of these CAL plus grain steep plus LME plus hops recipes so that I can complain about that one too.   ;)

Rick, I've never used the CAL, but one would think it's similar to the old Classic American Blonde. Looking back at my notes one of the 1st recipes I made was Jamaica Mon. That was CAB + Mellow Amber LME + Booster. Notes say it was excellent.

Thanks. I made Jamaica Mon with LME but did not care for it. Red, brown, black

Thanks. I made Jamaica Mon with LME but did not care for it. Red, brown, black

Jamaica Mon is orange/red...

Again.

Yeah, I seen that. I messaged JoshB to find out what the issue is. He's looking into it.

I've noticed that when you hit the "Post" button nothing will happen.  But the request is actually going through.  The screen just isn't refreshing in response to the button being hit.

BTW if the booster pack is rock hard, don't chuck it, whack it on a hard inanimate surface until it breaks up. From my experience the bag does not break but I cannot guarantee. My booster packs are quite old but still work.

Also I find it good to dissolve it while heating the 4 cups of water from cool - constant stirring so no burns - it takes awhile but it does dissolve.

• Like 2

Same with my 6 duplicate posts that Josh deleted. I tried refreshing as well as resubmitting.

Rick,

I might be interested in taking that burden of excess CAL off of your hands. My wife is a B light drinker and I could keep her happy with those. :unsure:

Bill

Time for the truth Rick...Some post you indicate you won't drink yellow beers. Sometimes you (like now)  indicate you will. If I was to send you a "mix six" would I have to leave out the "yellow" brews?

CAL came with the LBKs. I put them on CL, as I did the 2 CALs I had prior.

Well they are so bland they should make a good base for "other" brews.  Actually I'm sitting here thinking with some EKG and Fuggle, steep some Carared, and use 04. It might make a decent Irish Red

• Like 2

"Might".  From my perspective, if someone that likes CAL buys them from me for a fair price, I can replace them with ingredients that I know will make a good brew that I like.  It's a win-win.

I like one of the posts from a link the GerryP posted:

- If it has off flavors, just tell people it is "Belgian"

"Might".  From my perspective, if someone that likes CAL buys them from me for a fair price, I can replace them with ingredients that I know will make a good brew that I like.  It's a win-win.

No sprit of adventure...Why deny yourself the AH-HA! experience? Guess I'm just cheap...If I got 'em, I use 'em, and make the best of it. That would translate to X number of batches I don't have to pay for, so the money saved for those batches goes into the "I need another keg" fund. What's up with that Michigan? Won't accept a challenge an expatriated Buckeye would? Shame on ya. ;)

Gauntlet THROWN!

*munches popcorn*

Who is "Manny" in this?

? I'm sorry, I do not get the reference.

Manny Pacquiao - Floyd Mayweather

• Like 1

Another Booster use that is good (in my view - but I am sure RickB will disagree) is Wheat beer with booster, coriander and orange peel. I opened 1 tonight and it was great with dinner - (spicy Indian food.)

It ain't just RickBeer, but it's your beer.  Personally I'd use a wheat LME instead, steep some carapils(or foam), maybe some crystal (if it's an American Wheat).

Frequently happens. Add before water gets too hot. Stir, stir, stir.

• Like 1

Well, I brewed my second batch today and the directions say bring 4 cups of water to a boil then remove from heat, add HME and then add booster slowly while stirring. That's what I did and some clumped up on me. I stirred and stirred, but was unable to dissolve the clumps. I did get most of the bag dissolved. I ended up removing the clumps and just tossing them in the trash. Didn't know if I could have boiled some additional water and dissolved them that way. I'm not that stressed about it, it's only my second batch and I'm looking for taste before ABV.

Well, I brewed my second batch today and the directions say bring 4 cups of water to a boil then remove from heat, add HME and then add booster slowly while stirring. That's what I did and some clumped up on me. I stirred and stirred, but was unable to dissolve the clumps. I did get most of the bag dissolved. I ended up removing the clumps and just tossing them in the trash. Didn't know if I could have boiled some additional water and dissolved them that way. I'm not that stressed about it, it's only my second batch and I'm looking for taste before ABV.

I've never seen instructions that say add the Booster last.

• Like 1

Yup - from one of the recipes:

Using the measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot, then SLOWLY sprinkle in the pouch of Booster™ and stir until dissolved. Bring mixture to a boil, then remove from heat.

I've never seen instructions that say add the Booster last.

• Remove the yeast packet from under the lid of the can of Brewing Extract, then place the unopened can in hot tap water.
  • Using the measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot. Bring water to a boil, and then remove from heat. Open the can of Brewing Extract and pour it into the hot water. Open Booster packet and slowly pour into hot mixture while stirring. Continue to stir until thoroughly mixed. This mixture of unfermented beer is called wort.
  • Fill keg with cold tap water to the 4-quart mark on the back.
  • Pour the wort into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Stir vigorously with the spoon or whisk.
  • Sprinkle the yeast packet into the keg, and screw on the lid. Do not stir.
  • Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 68°and 76° F (20°-25° C) and out of direct sunlight. Ferment for 14 days.

I stand corrected. Looks like all the standard refills now come with booster and they tell you to add it last. Hmm. Wonder why they reversed it?

To screw people up by getting clumps... For years the forum had discussed how booster clumped and how adding it before the boil helped resolve that.

Looks like on the refills you add the booster last and on the recipes you add it first. OK.

• Like 1

Looks like on the refills you add the booster last and on the recipes you add it first. OK.

That kind of stuff drives me crazy.  It should be 100% the same.  You don't change a process before identifying everywhere it appears and then changing all of it.  

Still, even hot, if you stir it long enough it will dissolve from the lump.

• Like 1

I think I'll start using LME instead of Booster. 

Add it first or last? :lol:

I did a DME experiment this brew cycle.  I heated up my water to the point up bubbles just forming on the bottom.  I shut the burner off and dumped the DME in quickly.  I gave it one stir to get the clumps all submerged and walked away.  Did some other prep stuff for a few minutes and returned.  All the lumps were fully dissolved on their own with no additional stirring.  Granted this was 1 lb only.  I would imagine that as the solution gets more super saturated this would be harder to pull off.

I imagine the only need to stir it is if the heat is still on or you want to hurry it up, or you have nothing better to do - lol.

I think I'll start using LME instead of Booster. 

Some styles/clones require adjuncts.

I use booster all the time because I don't want the malt to take over my hop flavor.  Perfect example of this is a Black IPA where you want subtle notes of caramel, chocolate, and coffee but the the hops are the main flavor.  So you want the beer to be dark but not taste like a stout.  Booster provides the body and mouthfeel without having to add more hops to counter if it were LME instead.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was reading up on booster. If I ever use it again and that's a if, I know to add it first before the water starts to boil so it doesn't clump up on me again.

Yeah, I was reading up on booster. If I ever use it again and that's a if, I know to add it first before the water starts to boil so it doesn't clump up on me again.

I used it on Sunday... the key is warm water, a whisk, and rapidly stirring during the gentle pour.  That 3/4lb bag should take upto 30 seconds to pour evenly.

I am glad I am not the only one that likes to use booster sometimes. :D

I used it on Sunday... the key is warm water, a whisk, and rapidly stirring during the gentle pour.  That 3/4lb bag should take upto 30 seconds to pour evenly.

Not 29 seconds?   :huh:

• Like 1

Not 29 seconds?   :huh:

• Like 2

Still, even hot, if you stir it long enough it will dissolve from the lump.

Just like my last girlfriend!

:blink:

• Like 1

Today I used Pale DME, Dextrose+ Maltrodextrin with no problem. I warmed the water up a little but, tossed the powders in and let them sit a few min then stirred to loosen them up while heating again. They dissolved with minimal clumping. The Maltodextrin clumped a little, like little marshmallows floating about, but then after boiling carefully the froth went down and I took it off to add HME.

Only thing I had to watch for was over-boil when it was frothing.

I like the LME packs from Mr. Beer for booster, never tried the powder you guys are working on.

If boost is desired it can easily be accomplished with a 1/2 to 1 cup of corn sugar , It is about $1.20 per pound and less in 5lb bulk which I get. I usually add some LME to accommodate.

The dextrose is fine as baby powder and takes little effort to work into the wort during a flame up. I always hop when boosting to retard the effects of lost flavor from the desired recipe. Hops add life to all recipes and give the beer froth and taste..

Adding some hop is good anyway, but I thought booster was not supposed to change taste like Malt does?

Adding some hop is good anyway, but I thought booster was not supposed to change taste like Malt does?

It don't...Changes it exactly the opposite from malt. Dries the brew out, just like any other sugar

It don't...Changes it exactly the opposite from malt. Dries the brew out, just like any other sugar

I don't agree with that.  Sugar and honey definitely dry out the beer.  But booster is not pure sugar so it adds unfermentables as well as sugar providing body and abv.  What booster does not do is add flavor like UME does.  But that can be a good thing if you want hops to stand out.

I never found, in my multi-batch experience, that booster was good, although most of my batches were the old 1.21 pound HMEs, so perhaps the booster had a bigger impact.  I switched to 0.5 to 1 lb of LME and was much happier.  But then again, I like big butts malty beers, so of course I should like LME versus booster.  I stopped using it, tossed my last partial bag, and went with LME in every Mr. Beer batch from that point on, except for the Craft Series.

For noobs, UME (unhopped malt extract) is the same as LME (liquid malt extract) which are different from HME (hopped malt extract) which is what a can of Mr. Beer is.  DME (dry malt extract) is the same as UME and LME except the water has been removed.

I don't agree with that.  Sugar and honey definitely dry out the beer.  But booster is not pure sugar so it adds unfermentables as well as sugar providing body and abv.  What booster does not do is add flavor like UME does.  But that can be a good thing if you want hops to stand out.

So the sugar in booster don't act like other sugars 'cause Vakko finds it inconviant?

It will still make the beer drier than normal. The unfermentable in the booster is maltodextrin. This may raise your FG by a point or 2, but it won't add any perceptible sweetness.

• Like 1

So the sugar in booster don't act like other sugars 'cause Vakko finds it inconviant?

So all sugars act exactly the same?  This is new to me.

Hrm then why use different ones at all?!  We should all just use the exact sugar since, according to Jim, they all do the exact same thing.

Thanks, Jim.  You've cleared it up.  All sugars are the same!

Great thread and thanks to all the posters. I had a CAL and added another CAL in the last sale and it came with the booster and I was surprised until I read this thread.

I also thought about splitting the booster between the two and got some great feedback and decided I will (and can).  I am more or less a lurker on this forum but from time to time I need to chime in thank all of you who contribute and to say you are making me a better brewer!

My wife and I drank my Horses Ass Pale Ale outside a concert. When we went in I got her a Shock Top and myself a Modelo.

We both agreed I am brewing better beer.  Thanks again guys!!!

• Like 3