Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LloydBraun

Sanitizing

I noticed the Mr. Beer instructions tell you to use the sanitized measuring cup to put 4 cups of water in the pot you are going to either stir up the booster in and boil, or boil and then add your extract to. I was wondering why this is necessary when you are boiling it and sanitizing it anyway? Also, when I open my extract cans sometimes the unsanitized lid falls in. That got me to wondering how anal I really need to be with this sanitizing? I'm a newbie......how hard, or easy is it to infect your beer? Will sound cleaning eliminate most problems? Thank you

As long as you give your wort at least a 10 minute boil or so you don't have to worry too much what goes into it.

mcgrewc wrote:

As long as you give your wort at least a 10 minute boil or so you don't have to worry too much what goes into it.

10 minutes of rolling boil? The recipes I've seen say just get the wort to a boil then remove from heat. Is it better to boil longer?

you don't really want to boil the HEM's very long as it takes away from the Hopps in them. But the ten min boil will normally kill any nasties you might have introduced to it. :dry:

I boil as the directions call for(bring to boil then remove from heat).I put some one-step on the tops of the cans prior to opening them.I have not had any infections.

I Put the cans upside down in sanitizer. I know it doesn't make sense for the measuring cup but it can't hurt. :)

I don;t even use the measuring cup anymore. Eye ball your mark. I do still sanitize a small set of measuring cups and such in the keg as it is being sanitized. Also a good idea to sanitize a work surface to place your stuff while you work.

I clean and sanitize every little thing I use when I make up a batch. Everything from the keg, to the pot, to the measuring cup and spoon. You can never be too careful about this kind of thing.

LloydBraun wrote:

Thanks everyone!.....I've only been brewing about a month. This message board is very helpful.

Lloyd Braun, I don't think you're crazy for asking these question! I've always wondered what's so sacred about 4 cups of water. What's the difference if it's 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 cups?

Norman1, Thank you for thinking that these are perfectly sane questions for me to ask. :laugh: Cheers!