Mr.Beer Community
McDammit

Different yeast/ different krausen?

Until recently I have been using the yeast that comes with the refills. I know what the krausen looks like. With the many different refill kits I've made, the krausen looks pretty much the same. I've got a batch fermenting with s-04 and another going with s-05. The krausen on both is much tighter packed more like the froth on the top of a latte. I apologize for knowing that. Do different strains of yeast produce different krausen characteristics?

Yes and yes and yes again. Some yeast strains are a real beast, throwing up enough krausen to overflow the FV one is using, and then be done with primary fermentation in three days or so.

Also, you can get different results from the same yeast. I heard a lot about the Mr. Beer yeast being not so active, but the first time I used it, it was very active with a lot of thick, fluffy krausen. It all depends on many, many variants - water composition, pitch temps, wort temp throughout fermentation, types of malt, etc.

As much as I appreciate your answer......was "throwing up" really the best choice? Lol

Heh - I totally didn't even mean it that way... but hey, if the shoe fits...

*LOL*

Also.....in the batch in question.....I have steeped grains, different hops and lots of rye malt extract.

Also.....in the batch in question.....I have steeped grains, different hops and lots of rye malt extract.

Heh - I totally didn't even mean it that way... but hey, if the shoe fits...

*LOL*

It definitely fit. Just humorous.

Yeah, my first batch was all MrB ingredients (the Klondike Gold recipe kit) and while the krausen came up pretty quickly, it was fluffy like soap suds. My latest batch is the Novacaine, with three different cans of HME and a full packet of US-05. The krausen came up quickly this time too, thick and tightly foamed (much like your latte comparison) and really heavy. It lasted for two weeks and finally dropped out over the last couple of days.

My next batch will be the Diablo IPA, I am using the MrB yeast again, but with some steeped grains, extra DME, & additional hops as well. I guess I'll see what happnens with this brew!

I just bottled API IPA last week......The instructions called for both packets of yeast. I had krausen in the matter of hours. I added a pale LME above and beyond the recipe.

Yeah, since I have a few extra packets of yeast, and this "Helluva IPA" as I am calling it will have almost 8%ABV, I am using two packs of the MrB yeast as well. Another will also go into the boil for "yeast nutrients." No waste here!

NICE!

I guess I asked the original question because it's my first batch without any MRB products. I guess this might be what an expectant father must feel. Lol

I'm attempting a rye ale.

I will be using the MrB HMEs for a bit longer, but almost all my brews will have steeped specialty grains, DME, and extra hops from now on. Depending on the brew, I might use the included yeast, I may not.

I am planning on making a Strawberry Blonde using the Canadian HME after this IPA. Adding some wheat DME, honey, and Centennial hops, then doing a secondary fermentation over some fresh strawberries.

*crosses fingers*

I will be using the MrB HMEs for a bit longer, but almost all my brews will have steeped specialty grains, DME, and extra hops from now on. Depending on the brew, I might use the included yeast, I may not.

I am planning on making a Strawberry Blonde using the Canadian HME after this IPA. Adding some wheat DME, honey, and Centennial hops, then doing a secondary fermentation over some fresh strawberries.

*crosses fingers*

FWIW use extract at bottling also. the fruit alone is so delicate a flavor it can get lost in the malt and hops.

• Like 2

These will be locally-grown, fresh strawberries I will pick myself. Where I get my berries from, they come out tasting like candy. I think I'll give it a shot au natural the first time, just to see.

If it comes out light in flavour, I'll pick up some extract & use it at the pour.

:)

• Like 1

You will need to pasteurize your strawberries before using.

• Like 2

Yes, of course. I didn't mention that as I thought it would be a given.

:)

• Like 1