Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mafifer

Sanitizing Question

So I have watched the video on the Mr. Beer site about sanitizing and I understand the importance of it.  My question is regarding the work surface I will be using.  I know I need to sanitize that, am I free to use just any cleaner on that (windex, goo b gone, etc.) or do I need to use the sanitizing solution?  I assume if thats what I use, I put a small amount in a spray bottle with water?  

Thanks ahead of time for clarification.  

Cleaners are NOT sanitizers. It's best to use sanitizers on anything that will touch your beer. Your work surface probably isn't that important, but I still use some of the solution from sanitizing my LBK to wipe down my work area after cleaning it.

• Like 3

I don't sanitize my work surface, but it's our kitchen counter.  I do put all utensils on a plate that has sanitizer on it, after sanitizing them.

I clean my brew area with vinegar and water spray solution then I spray it Star-san solution. Then I place nice clean towel over that. All my utensils and lids that may rest on the towel are either temporarily stored in a large pitcher of sanitizing solution. NEVER a problem, infection or batch there be. I am anal like all brewers should be when it comes to clean and sanitized surfaces, etal.

Salud my Friends.

• Like 1

I clean my brew area with vinegar and water spray solution then I spray it Star-san solution. Then I place nice clean towel over that. All my utensils and lids that may rest on the towel are either temporarily stored in a large pitcher of sanitizing solution. NEVER a problem, infection or batch there be. I am anal like all brewers should be when it comes to clean and sanitized surfaces, etal.

Salud my Friends.

I keep anything with vinegar FAR away from my brewing area.

• Like 1

I drink some of my Homemade Beer, and then remember why sanitizing is important. I also only sanitize what comes in contact with my Brew. I create my Homemade goodness in my kitchen as well. It's not a Hospital. Have a beer, relax, and have a great time making it. It shouldn't be a job. Ein Prosit.

I just "wash" the work area like any other counter top. Dish soap, warm water, and a rag...Then I spray it with star san 'cause, why not?

• Like 1

So I have watched the video on the Mr. Beer site about sanitizing and I understand the importance of it.  My question is regarding the work surface I will be using.  I know I need to sanitize that, am I free to use just any cleaner on that (windex, goo b gone, etc.) or do I need to use the sanitizing solution?  I assume if thats what I use, I put a small amount in a spray bottle with water?  

Thanks ahead of time for clarification.  

For what it's worth, I have tried going the Windex route.  Wiped down counters, walls, even the patio doors with it before brewing. Eventually got tired of picking up dead birds that flew into the glass doors.

Also tried the goo be gone.  Probably would have worked out if my best friend's name didn't happen to be Goo.  He's been gone for some time now and I sure do miss him.

• Like 3

I take a clean roaster pan, stainless... put a thin layer of star san solution (diluted) into it and swish it around . all my sanitized implements go in that while I work. I keep an open bucket with mixed star san solution for swishing stuff like a spoon after I stir something. if it isn't going to touch the wort or the yeast or the fermenter or bottle ... I don't worry overmuch .

I think someone bought me a baby bottle sanitizer.... pretty sure I'll just use star san or iodophor.

Additionally, here's an experiment to get better head retention from your beer glass.

I think someone bought me a baby bottle sanitizer.... pretty sure I'll just use star san or iodophor.

Additionally, here's an experiment to get better head retention from your beer glass.

Interesting. I'm wondering, when you take the glasses out of the star san and let them dry would they look spotty?

I just "wash" the work area like any other counter top. Dish soap, warm water, and a rag...Then I spray it with star san 'cause, why not?

Same reason a dog licks his B@!!$...right Jimbo???

Qualifying my vinegar and water spray it is fairly diluted and here is some written proof...take it for what it is worth, but I use it and have NEVER had a problem...

http://disinfected.org/does-vinegar-disinfect/