Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

NEW RECIPE - Saison Du Miel!!

Just in time for summer, we're releasing our newest recipe (by yours truly :) ), Saison Du Miel. It is a lower ABV saison than most commercial examples and is intended to be a session beer for hot summer days. Dry, crisp, and spicy, it's the perfect beer for your summer barbecues or camping trips. This is the first of many new recipes that we will be releasing in the coming days. Enjoy!

http://www.mrbeer.com/saison-du-miel-recipe

• Like 1

If you like a refreshing lighter beer you can also try the Dampfbier. That is really tasty and refreshing.

This looks interesting!

Say, are you going to do any more breakfast cereal-based recipes? After seeing Lucky Charms, I was thinking that if you can get Kellogg's to sign off on it, one based around Honey Smacks would be kind of cool. A wheat beer with honey? It's a natural fit!

Ahh, so this recipe will be able to be brewed/fermented during the summertime without having to keep the LBK as cool as some of the other recipes? Or at least maybe handle the higher temperatures better? From what the instructions say, Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 68°and 86° F (20°-30° C) and out of direct sunlight.

This looks interesting!

Say, are you going to do any more breakfast cereal-based recipes? After seeing Lucky Charms, I was thinking that if you can get Kellogg's to sign off on it, one based around Honey Smacks would be kind of cool. A wheat beer with honey? It's a natural fit!

You're making the assuming that General Mills had anything to do with the Lucky Charms recipe, which I would almost guarantee they did not - nor would Kellogg's.  Nothing stops you from using any ingredients in a brew, but you can't use a name without permission, unless you indicate who owns the trademark (which they did).

Ahh, so this recipe will be able to be brewed/fermented during the summertime without having to keep the LBK as cool as some of the other recipes? Or at least maybe handle the higher temperatures better? From what the instructions say, Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 68°and 86° F (20°-30° C) and out of direct sunlight.

Yes, that's what it means.

Extracted from a news article at newser.com 

".........Black Bottle Brewery admitted it scooped up the entire Chocula supply from two Albertsons stores to concoct the next variety in its Cerealiously beer series.

Previous potent potables in the beer maker's series have been created using Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Golden Grahams, and Reese's Puffs. "We did it as a joke at first, but the beer turned out well," the general manager of the brewery.........."

You can  just get the single serving multi-box pack and cycle through adding all of them. Or you can buy single serving cups which is what I did.

I think one of the reports did say that there was some communication between the brewer and the cereal company, this article actually has a greater account of the relationship than I have seen elsewhere.

General Mills and Black Bottle Brewery in Fort Collins Forge a Sugary Friendship

http://www.westword.com/restaurants/general-mills-and-black-bottle-brewery-in-fort-collins-forge-a-sugary-friendship-6047582

Yeah, General Mills was totally on board with Black Bottle's idea and they now work together to continue making cereal beers.

The milk stout base is the same base used for most of the beers, I think. So you could use any cereal in it.

Saisons do really well in warm temps. You will get a cleaner profile at lower temps, but once you start getting around 80, the Belle Saison yeast will give off some of the characteristic earthy and funky "farmhouse" esters they are known for. Saisons are great for making during the summer when cooler temps are difficult to maintain.

• Like 1

My environment works the opposite. My basement is warm in winter and cool in summer due to heat/AC.  

80 deg. is still tough though. So I need to get extra heat in Summer to make Saisons.

Looking at a heater.

So the reason the Lalleman Belgian Saison yeast is impossible to find in stock anywhere is that Mr. Beer gobbled up the world's supply Lol.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

I brewed this Saison Du Miel yesterday. I rehydrated  the Belle Saison Yeast as per the instructions on the package and also used my oxygenation kit 2.0 for the first time on a lbk recipe. This morning i have a nice krausen going. I am very excited to see how this turns out. Happy Memorial Day