Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
wvu1989

Safbrew T-58 Smack Pack?

Okay, reading the reviews on the Leggy Blond Belgian recipe, I see that SamLJer wrote "I didnt use the ale yeast that came with the recipie because the smack pack was dead and did not swell."  The reason this concerns me is that this recipe comes with the Safbrew T-58 Dry Brewing Yeast.  That is the same yeast that came with the Belgian Spiced Ale, which I have had fermenting for the past 18 days and is currently cold-crashing in my fridge.  If my Safbrew T-58 came in a "smack pack" I certainly did not notice it.  I did no smacking, and did not look for any swelling.  I just opened the packet and sprinkled it on the wort.  Did I miss something here? I am a complete newbie (this is my 2nd beer) but it sure seemed to me that I got enough krausen and good fermentation. 

From the Wyeast site:

Activator™ packages are designed for direct inoculation of 5 gallons of standard* wort. Activator™ packages contain live yeast cells in a liquid slurry. This yeast slurry is packaged in an optimum condition for storage, while maintaining the ability for rapid and complete fermentation.

Activator™ packages include a sterile liquid nutrient pouch that, when “smacked”, releases its contents into the yeast slurry and “activates” the package. The available nutrients initiate the culture’s metabolism which in turn generates CO2 and causes swelling of the package. This process will reduce lag times by preparing the yeast for a healthy fermentation prior to inoculation. Activation also serves as a viability test of the culture. Expansion of the package is an indicator of healthy (viable and vital) yeast. Although beneficial, cultures do not need to be activated prior to inoculation.

More for further info than anything - I guess I could have said that dry yeast and Smack-Packs are two totally different things, but now you know exactly what the difference is.

Pardons if this comes off as pedantic. I have been called that before.

^_^

• Like 1

Mr. Beer used to have some recipes that used liquid yeast, but changed them all to dry yeast.

• Like 1

Slym and RickBeer, thanks for the info.  I just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook something.  You know us newbies, we spook easily!

The review I read is dated May 2, 2015, so I figured he probably got the recipe fairly recently, and therefore it would likely have come with the same yeast I got.  However, I now realize that due to the website move, all of the reviews are dated May 1 or 2, 2015.  The one I read must be an old review from when they used to send liquid yeast.

The review I read is dated May 2, 2015, so I figured he probably got the recipe fairly recently, and therefore it would likely have come with the same yeast I got.  However, I now realize that due to the website move, all of the reviews are dated May 1 or 2, 2015.  The one I read must be an old review from when they used to send liquid yeast.

Or it could be for a completely different recipe, too  :unsure:

• Like 1

and is the maker of Safebrew.  

You mean Safebrew T-58?