Mr.Beer Community
llwwll

Sanitising

You should sanitize them right before you use them.  Otherwise, you need to apply a sanitized covering on them (on the PET bottles screwing on a sanitized cap).  Sanitizing them and letting them sit for a long time is asking for trouble.  The Mr. Beer sanitizer works in ten minutes but the solution is only good for a short period (a day or two at room temp, a week in a sealed container in a refrigerator, but then you need to bring it to room temp before using it).  

There is no reason to sanitize in advance.  Wash, dry, then sanitize day of brewing.

• Like 3

I have always sanitized my bottles right before bottling. For the PET bottles I believe it says in the instructions to pour the sanitizer in, put the cap on them, shake well, let set for either 2 or 10 minutes, shake again to make sure you get the sanitizer on all parts of the bottle and cap. So far, this has worked well for me. Go through the forum and read everything you can about the process, then find posts by RickBeer and read all of the links in his signature block.

UPDATE: See Above!

• Like 2

I sanitize them after I drink them with starsan.  Drink beer, rinse-shake-rinse water, dump water, spritz 9 spritzes of Starsan with a spray bottle, cap, shake and store.  When it comes time to bottle, I dump the remaining StarSan out and bottle.

• Like 1

I sanitize them after I drink them with starsan.  Drink beer, rinse-shake-rinse water, dump water, spritz 9 spritzes of Starsan with a spray bottle, cap, shake and store.  When it comes time to bottle, I dump the remaining StarSan out and bottle.

I've stored them with sanitizer, too.  But since moving over to bottling, I'm not going to sanitize, cap, dump, then fill and cap again.

Thank You very much on your answer. Yep I'm very new to this and have been reading a lot on the subject.

I have started my very first brew and I know that I maybe made a very big mistake. After saniatising I did everything up until the final mixing (I didn't do) i put the yeast in and storded it in a cool dark place have been watching it and every thing seems to be ok on the formenting. So will have to wait and see how it turns out. If i screwed up.....Will not give up and try again.

Thank You very much on your answer. Yep I'm very new to this and have been reading a lot on the subject.

I have started my very first brew and I know that I maybe made a very big mistake. After saniatising I did everything up until the final mixing (I didn't do) i put the yeast in and storded it in a cool dark place have been watching it and every thing seems to be ok on the formenting. So will have to wait and see how it turns out. If i screwed up.....Will not give up and try again.

That's a great attitude to have! My only suggestion is (and I'm no expert by any means) I'm still new at this too, but try not to babysit and worry too much about it. Let it do it's thing and if you followed the directions then everything should be fine. I baby sited my first batch and was worried that I did something wrong and it drove me crazy! But I calmed down drank some craft beer and did A LOT of reading!!! I read about this hobby for over 6 months before I purchased a Mr. Beer Kit and I'm on my 2nd batch and I think I'm hooked! That's all I can think about is brewing and my 1st batch isn't even done yet! Anyway, welcome and read, read, read! I suggest if you have not done so, read the links in RickBeer's signature...there's a lot of useful info.  Happy Brewing!

• Like 1

it's a fun hobby but when you get started it's easy to panic over everything. keep in mind you can always come here to ask questions and get advice before panic sets in :)

as for sanitizing, as was mentioned best practice is just before you are going to use them so they are nice and fresh and clean etc.  on some occasions where I wont have time to really take my time the day of bottling, I will sanitize my PET bottles and caps in starsan and drain them, cap them and let them sit overnight.  the residual foam left in the bottle and cap doesn't hurt anything.