Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ICEdaddy

Any time limit to cold crashing?

Quick question. I plan to go on vacation about the same night as I planned to bottle, but knowing the wife and kids, I'll never have time to do so. And work gets too crazy right before I have to leave for a week for me to bottle.

Besides bottling early, is there any reason I can't stick the LBK in the refrigerator to cold crash, leave the LBK in the fridge for 10 days, and then bottle?

Ideally you wouldn't do that.  The beer would be sitting on the yeast cake for 10 days, assuming that's after 3 weeks fermenting, so you're at 4 1/2 weeks.  That said, it's probably not an issue.  Cold crashing will help as the yeast stop working.  I think you'll be fine, but you're pushing it.

Yes, after 3 weeks of fermenting.

It seems to my naive sensibilities, if the yeast is asleep, there is no fermentation going on so little to risk.

But what are consequences of sitting on a yeast cake for 10 days?

My advice would be IF: the ambient temperature of your LBK is within the range of fermentation (say 65*-69*) with no risk of it getting warmer than that, let it keep fermenting. Otherwise, I would go ahead and Cold Crash whilst you are away and the risk of off-flavors is lessened. My opinion and I'm sticking to it. I have experienced these same circumstances so I speak from experience which I am experienced at being experienced.

Salud my Friends 

You'll be fine.  People have been lagering (true definition) for eons longer than the times you mentioned.

Thanks all for the device. I'll probably give it a whirl and take my chances.

Ideally you wouldn't do that.  The beer would be sitting on the yeast cake for 10 days, assuming that's after 3 weeks fermenting, so you're at 4 1/2 weeks.  That said, it's probably not an issue.  Cold crashing will help as the yeast stop working.  I think you'll be fine, but you're pushing it.

What would be the consequences of transferring it to an empty LBK and then putting in the fridge to cold crash for 10 days?

No layer of CO2 to protect from infection, possible aeration.

• Like 2