Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
llwwll

A BIG THANKS

Great post! Hey, stay warm up there. I hear it's snowing in your area, and will get down into the 20's for a low tonight.

*jealous*

Sir,

May I ask what you do in Minot, ND? I am sure you are retired but do you have any affiliation with the base? I was stationed at Minot AFB from 1998-2004, and again from 2006-2010. You look very familiar.

Well I retired from Minot AFB in 1981 after 20 years. But I stayed out there working at the Bowling Center for another 14 years as the cheif machanic. then worked for Searfs here in Minot for another 13 years and then said to myself that's enough and now retired. So may have run into you somewhere out there at the base.Anyway thanks for your question..... Bill

Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see someone here that's older than me. :)

Well I retired from Minot AFB in 1981 after 20 years. But I stayed out there working at the Bowling Center for another 14 years as the cheif machanic. then worked for Searfs here in Minot for another 13 years and then said to myself that's enough and now retired. So may have run into you somewhere out there at the base.Anyway thanks for your question..... Bill

I am positive I have seen you around as I have been to all of those places multiple times. Welcome to Mr Beer. It will be our honor to make sure you craft that perfect beer!

But most importantly........Thank you for your service Sir!

Brew on!!!

• Like 1

Sir,

May I ask what you do in Minot, ND? I am sure you are retired but do you have any affiliation with the base? I was stationed at Minot AFB from 1998-2004, and again from 2006-2010. You look very familiar.

Was never at Minot (Freezin's the reason) but was stationed at Loring for 10 years from 1982 to 1992...

Welcome. Keeping active plus a little alcohol is suppose to be good for you so I'm sure your doctor would approve.  Nearly every 100+ year old interviewed has at least once vice that has kept them sane.

Who here is sane? Hmm bad question. Only the ones that don't know it are insane. (Think back to "Catch 22")

Anybody with a firm claim on sanity is dangerous. They are probably the most insane of us all.

welcome aboard pops!  it's been scientifically proven that beer  in moderation is actually good for you.  home made beer is even better!

thanks vets for your sacrifice and service!

-z-

• Like 1

It's strange to hear the word "POPS"..My very good friend use to call me that and still do's..We were great friends in the bowling league times. He is now a long way from my home but still keep in touch... "HAPPY BREWING"...I',m waiting for my fist batch to bottle maybe on the 26th 0f this month (MAY), after testing first........Got my fingers crossed!

Make sure you give it 3 weeks fermenting, then 4 weeks in bottles at room temp.  

.. and don't expect greatness on your first couple beers. consider these learning the ropes. if it comes out great then yay! a lot of ppl buy brewing kits and get totally discouraged with brewing because the first batch comes out less fantastic than they hoped.  if it tastes 'green'  let them condition at room temp another week or so. this sometimes helps.  also never judge a beer by your bottling sample. the aging and conditioning improves whatever you'll taste at bottling time.

oh and you look like a 'pops'  :)  ....   I couldn't call you gramps seeing as how im kind getting old myself. (50s)

Also remember temperature is important all around. I pitched my yeast on my first brew too warm, and had a weird sweet taste. I took a sample of my second batch as I put it into the fridge for cold-crashing just now, and it is delicious!

better to pitch colder than warmer... you could freeze your wort and pitch the yeast onto that block of ice and it's still not as harmful as being 20 degrees to warm.

Yinz are all filthy sinners.

Yinz?!??!

Do I detect a pittsburgheeze accent???

I hope no doctors are watching?  "HAPPY BREWING TO ALL"

I'm watching. 

And you should know that observational data from the UK suggest that drinking 1-2 beers/day is associated with longer lifespans.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2017200,00.htmlhttps://www.crystallise.com/home/blogpost131

Similar data has been seen with wine. Now I put on my nerd hat: while observational data does not imply causation, at least the trend is in the correct direction. So enjoy your 1-2 beers day. I do. 

if 1 or 2 extends life then, considering the amount I drink, I must be damn near immortal.  :lol:

• Like 2

It's strange to hear the word "POPS"..My very good friend use to call me that and still do's..We were great friends in the bowling league times. He is now a long way from my home but still keep in touch... "HAPPY BREWING"...I',m waiting for my fist batch to bottle maybe on the 26th 0f this month (MAY), after testing first........Got my fingers crossed!

Well folks, I bottled my first brew....Now that is done my problem is trying to keep a constant room temp. My basement is way to cold to store the bottles there so I placed them in a ice chest and keep them up stairs in my man cave as my wife calls it. I keep watching the temp and when it looks like it's getting to warm I place a ice pack in the cooler to keep the temp around 70 degs (of course the lid is always closed when there is a lot of light in the room). Then at night when I turn on the ol air conditioner to keep the house temp around 69 degs (for sleeping) I open the lid of the cooler...I hope I'm doing it right..This brewing stuff is getting to be a science like a lap tech?

Again fingers crossed......

If you ever have any problem you can't find the answer to always come back here and ask great bunch of guys always willing to help us newbies out.

• Like 1