Mr.Beer Community
JoshR

Mr. Beer's 3rd Livestream Event!!

livestream_allbouthops_700x300.jpg

Be sure to tune join us tomorrow at 5:30 pm MST (8:30 pm EST) for our 3rd Livestream event! In this episode, we will be discussing hops and how they're used in our recipes. We will also be brewing a batch of our newest recipe, "Saison Du Miel" (http://www.mrbeer.com/saison-du-miel-recipe) which uses Sterling hops. In this demonstration, you will see exactly when and how to add hops to a recipe.

As usual, by tuning in, you may be eligible for a free gift or exclusive discount from Mr. Beer. This will be LIVE so have your questions ready for the Q&A segment of the show. See you there! :D

http://www.mrbeer.com/livestream?utm_campaign=Livestream+%233&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=17791355

• Like 6

Just a reminder to set your clocks for this. ;)

For whatever reason, I logged into livestream and could not watch it live - chat was working but no video.

I managed to watch it afterwards though.

Thanks Josh !

And I messed up my ordering timing AGAIN. I ordered this week, earlier and now we have a sale - ah well................

I have to remember sales are on Memorial Day :-/

I was bottling and last night was one of those nights where everything goes wrong. Started bottling a 7pm finished at 9:30pm.  I'm brewing as I type(it's mashing) I'll go watch it this afternoon.

And I messed up my ordering timing AGAIN. I ordered this week, earlier and now we have a sale - ah well................

I have to remember sales are on Memorial Day :-/

woohoo, I love sales!  got my brews lined up through the better part of fall now!

Banner time is wrong, as was the email.   :(

Watching it now at full volume.  Need to turn up the gain next time.

Banner time is wrong, as was the email.   :(

Watching it now at full volume.  Need to turn up the gain next time.

How is it wrong?

Yeah, the volume was a bit low on the mics.

Look at the time in the banner, and the time in the email.

Banner and email - 5:30 PST

Your comment below it - 5:30 MST (8:30 EST).

People were confused because of the US is on daylight savings time, i.e. EDT.  Mountain time for most of the US would be 2 hours earlier, and expressed as MDT.  Pacific time is currently PDT.  Weird places like parts of Arizona that don't observe daylight savings time (vampires want more dark?) are on Standard Time.

5:30 PDT = 6:30 MDT = 7:30 CDT = 8:30 EDT = 5:30 MST.

In the future I'd suggest two changes.  First, eliminate the D or S.  Since it's a current event, people don't need to know that.  Second, list the time as I just did - in multiple timezones all in one place.  And list them like TV does - Eastern Time first.

Example:

Tonight, watch Josh dance with hops.  8:30 ET / 7:30 CT, 6:30 MT, 5:30 PT and in Arizona.

Ahhh! Yes, good catch, Rick! lol. And us Arizonans think the rest of the country is weird for doing Daylight Savings time...lol.

OK that must be why I missed it.

Josh, a hint for next time - the mic was turned fairly low but it did REALLY good in picking up the fan on your pot boiling unit. Every time you went there or turned to it, it was LOUD.

OK that must be why I missed it.

Josh, a hint for next time - the mic was turned fairly low but it did REALLY good in picking up the fan on your pot boiling unit. Every time you went there or turned to it, it was LOUD.

Thanks for the input. We've been using cheap dynamic mics, but will be switching to nicer condensor mics. Hopefully the audio quality on the next streams will be much better.

A follow up question to your video:

Is there a good "standard" time for letting your hops soak in when you use them at flameout?  I've read up to 15 minutes...

A follow up question to your video:

Is there a good "standard" time for letting your hops soak in when you use them at flameout?  I've read up to 15 minutes...

Not that I've heard of. If you leave them in for 15 minutes, then it's not "flameout", it could still be considered a 15 minute boil because the wort is still very hot. Flameout means turn off the flame, then chill the wort.

Aaarrrgghhh, you forgot to add the honey. Good video regardless.