Mr.Beer Community
kp

problem with belgian spiced ale

Hi everyone I have a batch of Belgian spiced ale that has reached the 3 weeks in the lbk.I took a small sample to taste and to clear the spigot before putting it in bottles.it has a mild spice flavor but tastes a little sour.I also noticed what looks almost like mold floating on top inside the lbk

Is this a sign of being contaminated or is this normal.I let it ferment at 70 degrees for the entire 3 weeks.its in a fermenting chamber and the temperature never varies more than a half degree either way.Ive made a few batches of different mr. Beer brews and this is the first time I have seen this.

I always have stuff floating on top of my wort after 3 weeks. I wouldn't worry about it. Just bottle it and drink it in a couple months. My only suggestion would be to lower your fermentation temperature. I'm sure you spiked over 80 degrees during high krausen.

Brew On!!!

And don't look.  Perving your beer is the #1 cause of bad batches, because your mind says "OH MY GOD, LOOK AT THAT CRAP FLOATING AROUND IN MY BEER".  If you don't look, and don't know it's there, then all is well nearly all the time.

• Like 4

Really hard to make an unsafe to drink beer.

Thanks everyone tomorrow is botteling day.I'm gonna let this one sit and condition until November.

Sometimes a yeast raft comes to the to the top but your temps were favorable.

My Belgian spice was strong and pungent but healthy, It is a lot of wort plus I modded mine closer to the Blue recipe from Vakko.

This beer is best carbed for 6-8 weeks. I am going to crack one in 6 weeks. The T-58 is a different bail of bugs but this beer is tops when we do it right.

If your Klausen ring is close to the lid then you nailed it, Like others are suggesting do not open, I use a high intensity LED flashlight to observe yeast activity..

Cheers, M

The ring was at the top of the lbk actually Had a little over flow from the vents.Its botteled and put in a cooler in a closet.Ill check it in a few weeks to see how carbonation is going.I'm leaving it alone and wont try one for aleast 3 months.If its good ill let itsit and serve some at thanksgiving. Thanks again for the advice and info. Everytime I come here I always learn something new.

ive got three cans of the Belgian ale, thatll become the chamay blue be starting to day since its raining and I have nothing else to do, got enuf extra dme, malts and yeast for the 5 gal. attempt

• Like 1

I ordered 9 this weekend so I will be making some, too!

• Like 1

dang! 9!??? I catch myself dippin my finger on the inside walls of the can to taste, reminds me of sorgum, or however its pronounced, well I did my attempt of the chamay....uh.... what happens if sum fictictious character just happens to add a little more yeast than they were suppose to? now its not me! sum other whacko might have done it, not me...

More yeast? Probably fine, may ferment a bit faster, a bit more lively, may overflow - I would put the LBK in a tub.

Unless of course you put in 1/2lb then I am not sure, but only a bit more....... 

Alright. :mellow:

At the risk of receiving a load of complaints,  I would like to get serious comment about what kind of beer I will get if I go "mad scientist" on the Belgian Christmas Spiced Ale. Undrinkable is NOT an option :lol: .

I am assuming there are no spices already in the can of HME - if there are then the strategy changes totally.

Hop addition suggestions would be welcome too, although it looks like 20 IBU at least in the experiments.  

Other suggestions for making lighter beer also welcome.

I have 4 of them but I am curious about going the other way from the pack. Here is seems many folks are interested in making strong beer. I like them on occasion but not as a regular drink. I think I like beers in the 4-5 % range  best.

So I will make 1 more regular spiced ale anyway (I have one maturing already) but with the other 3, I am curious as to what I will get if I do this:

a) Ferment it straight with no spices and S-04 yeast. ~ 6.5% ABV what kind of dark/amber beer will it resemble? B)

Add maybe 1.5 lb of amber or dark malt extract  and then divide it between 2 LBKs ~  getting maybe 4 to 5 ABV  

and ferment with 

(i) one with the std. Mr Beer yeast

(ii) one with the T-57

c) Add maybe 1.5 lb of light malt extract and then divide it between 2 LBKs ~ getting maybe 4 to 5 ABV  

and ferment with

(i) one with the std. Mr Beer yeast

(ii) one with a wheat yeast (sort of modified  dampfbier?)  ( I do like my Dampfbier.)  or the T-57

Thanks!

• Like 2

I'm all ears to any responses you might get, as I'm interested in doing something similar. I made it straight up and didn't really care for the spices in it, but I left the spice bag in with the wort which made the spice taste a lot stronger. I'm currently letting it age/condition longer hoping that'll make it taste better.

Thanks, Tony

• Like 1

Yes that will work.  Just use Qbrew and temporarily change the output to 4.26 gallons.

Yes, I am sure I can get a fermented beery alcoholic drink by doing this, but what will it taste like in reference to other known beers??

Opinions, please on resulting "Oh - this tastes just like XXXXX!"

Solve for XXXXX - lol

Without spices, you could call a regular strength batch a Dubbel. Or use saison yeasts if those are to your liking - you could even use them for a split batch.

I could call a split batch a double too - lol.  

I think I will try that. From looking at the recipes for similar things I get some sense what the makeup might be.

How about:

The first split batch I will make with light DME 1lb, and maybe some wheat DME 0.5 lb also split between batches

Then I will use the T-58 in one LBK with coriander and orange peel - maybe dry hop Saaz

And the other LBK  just plain with Mr B yeast - maybe dry hop  with Galaxy.

(Doing dry hop so I do not have to worry about the boiling being separate)

• Like 1

I'm all ears to any responses you might get, as I'm interested in doing something similar. I made it straight up and didn't really care for the spices in it, but I left the spice bag in with the wort which made the spice taste a lot stronger. I'm currently letting it age/condition longer hoping that'll make it taste better.

Thanks, Tony

I did one with and one without the bag, There are many opinions about this bag of spice.

1st is still conditioning with out but OG 2.00, I toned down a bit on the 2nd with spices and still landed a 1.8, My Irish stout came out great with OG 1.55 and should have some wonderful history. I stayed away from fruits, sugars, and cut dextrose in half, Cinnamon was added, along with steeped grains and extra hops. 

Fun,Fun,Fun

M

• Like 1

OK I tried the # 2 recipe,  I Iike it, it has a refreshing hop tang without being extra bitter, a nice head from the wheat, and a gentle rounded maltiness.

I think it gained interesting flavors from the NW Pale/Bavaria Mandarin trub.

OK I did it. I split the HME.

I went mad scientist on this one trying to figure how to split the ingredients and may have made something stronger than I expected, but see what you think. You will see how I go from the process. Comments welcome on what I will actually get out of this.

I prepped the hop bag additives.

1. 1 Navel orange zest (potato peelered) , 1 TBS coriander crushed, and 0.5 oz Saaz pellets.
  2. 0.5 oz Cascade pellet, 0.25 oz E K Golding pellets (I wanted to get rid of the 0.25 bag)

I bottled my NW Pale with Mandarina Bavaria hop (which incidentally, smelled and tasted delightful) saving trub and LBK. This may add a bit of extra taste to the one without T-58.

I sterilized LBK #2 with tools.

Fill LBKs to 4 qt mark with cold water

I boiled 4 cups water, with 1 pkt booster added while warm, (dissolved before boiling) , and sterilized the bag  2 ( with hops only and added the bag (only) to the LBK with NW Pale trub.

I added the Belg Spiced HME to the remaining hot water, homogenized it and divided it between the LBKs.

I boiled 4 more cups water, adding DMEs in while only warm and brought to boil, then boiled until foam subsided.

I sterilized hop bag (1) and content in the boiling DME solution  and added the bag to the LBK# 2, then I divided the remaining LME solution between the LBKs.

Then I topped both LBKs up to 8.5 with cold tap water using spray wand (to oxygenate) and added  T-58 yeast to the LBK#2.

So for fermentables, I miscalculated and put in the booster before I realized how much DME I had by using up remains of started 1 lb bags. So let's see

3.75 lb can HME

12.5 oz booster

4 oz Briess Pilsner Light DME

5 oz Briess  Bavarian Wheat DME

2 oz Briess Traditional Dark DME

12oz Briess Golden Light DME

So I figure this will net me beer ABV of approx. 5.5% a bit more than I wanted (really looking for 4.5) probably fine..

I am getting to like the flavors produced by the wheat yeast strains and they seem to ferment barley malt just fine too. I was wondering about fermenting one of the Belgian Spiced HME cans using wheat yeast.

This is an interesting read if you like wheat beers

Including a Schneider Weiss recipe.

Wheat Beer Yeast and Fermentation

I am getting to like the flavors produced by the wheat yeast strains and they seem to ferment barley malt just fine too. I was wondering about fermenting one of the Belgian Spiced HME cans using wheat yeast.

Go for it! This would be similar to the German Dampfbiers which are barley-based beers that use wheat yeasts. The Belgian Spiced would probably go well with the phenolics of a wheat yeast.

Well I bottled them today. Both were sweetish although fairly dry once you got past that, (the T-58 one less so)  and the one on the Pale Ale trub did have a suggestion of the Mandarin about it, the bottles are starting to firm up already (6 hours) so I hope it was done and no bottle bombs. (no FG measurement). If they go too much, too soon,  I will burp them (a quick pffft) . Still I had enough a glass of dregs at supper too. :-)