Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rich5665

Oops, not enough water?

So in my excitement to get my first batch done, I missed the add more water and bring the level to 8.5 liters. The batch has been fermenting since May 17th. Bottling day would have been the 31st. Is it to late to add water to bring the level to 8.5 liters?

First, bottling day would be 21 days later, not 14.  We recommend 3 - 4.  3 weeks fermenting, then 4 weeks in bottles carbonating and conditioning at 70 or above.

Yes, it is too late.  8 days in, yeast is winding down, adding water at this point is looking to invite a big problem.  If you brewed Classic American Light, it can only help it not adding the extra water.

It's important that you follow the directions in the future, take the time now to do some reading on the forum.  

• Like 1

So in my excitement to get my first batch done, I missed the add more water and bring the level to 8.5 liters. The batch has been fermenting since May 17th. Bottling day would have been the 31st. Is it to late to add water to bring the level to 8.5 liters?

Just curious, where are you at for volume in the lbk now?

Just curious, where are you at for volume in the lbk now?

A little over 6 liters

You definitely improved this makings of this batch..kicked up the ABV and the flavor. You just might be have brewed the best-ever batch of CAL (if that's what it was)

Cheers to you my friend and Salud

• Like 1

First brew was an Oktoberfest Lager, it irks me a bit that I missed the second gallon of water, especially since I had the chilled jug sitting on the table waiting to be added. Pretty sure that my mistake with the water will have killed the first batch. I'll check it in two more weeks My second brew went in today, Czech Pilsner. I paid a bit more attention this time around.

I doubt that you killed the batch. It will be concentrated, but drinkable.

I would have added the water - what is the problem would it make? (Not denying the possibility - just curious)

I would think it would ensure the yeast would not suffer from excess ABV at least.

Most recipes are specific about final volume amount in the LBK but the biggest problem I am finding with this is.

Once we start collecting  gravity samples the volume diminishes a bit and it starves the last bottle or two. Leaves us with either waste or 50% trub.

If using a Hydrometer to test the OG and FG mabye a couple of times near the 21 day mark.

Should we measure an additional amount of water and add to the batch to accommodate the tests. Then @ bottling time we have a full batch without compromising too much taste. Hunch, Hmmm.

I think the CAL with less water will come up good because after reading the initial ABV it did not stack up to FL Beer and I boosted mine with success, Rich will just have less but a good start into a steep learning curve.

Keep plugging away at it and eventually the next batch will get better every time.

First, bottling day would be 21 days later, not 14.  We recommend 3 - 4.  3 weeks fermenting, then 4 weeks in bottles carbonating and conditioning at 70 or above.

Yes, it is too late.  8 days in, yeast is winding down, adding water at this point is looking to invite a big problem.  If you brewed Classic American Light, it can only help it not adding the extra water.

It's important that you follow the directions in the future, take the time now to do some reading on the forum.  

After the first attempt at brewing I set a reminder in my calendar. I thought I marked it as bottling day, nope just a reminder to check the fermentation status. I'll go with your recommendation of 3 - 4 weeks. At 1.5 gallons I suspect the brew may be a bit strong, it's a lesson learned.

I would have added the water - what is the problem would it make? (Not denying the possibility - just curious)

I would think it would ensure the yeast would not suffer from excess ABV at least.

I typed an answer to this but it seems to be gone...

If you use QBrew, you'll see that the ABV goes from 3.1 to 4.1 (as I recall, not going to calculate it again).  That's not an issue.

Stirring up dead yeast, and running the risk of introducing infection, makes no sense.  The OP can add some cold water to his glass before pouring his beer if he wants it a bit more watered down.

• Like 1

I find it easy to keep notes in the calender app on my droid cell phone. It will give a warning.

21 day mark with first OG (gravity reading without pitch) etc.. this is not necessary but as you progress into it as a hobby it may become more interesting.

Cheers

I bet this will be a good beer if left as is.

Um - putting water in wort is OK, but putting water in BEER is a NO-NO.

Um - putting water in wort is OK, but putting water in BEER is a NO-NO.

Aye lad, but a shot in a beer will do wonders for ya.

• Like 1

Well I just tried a small sample of the Oktoberfest, filled a shooter. Upon first glance, it's a little cloudy. Then I noticed the bubbles, many but there seems to be a bit of carbonation in the brew. The smell is good and the flavor is good. Not as good as my Yuengling, but close. I'm thinking of moving the keg to a little warmer location for one more week. My cellar is a consistent 60 degrees, the main floor 68 and the second floor 72. I had the keg wrap in a blanket during fermentation. 

I moved the keg to an insulated box that i warmed up with a hair dryer. Hope fully that kick starts everything again.