Mr.Beer Community

I have a Mr. Beer Porter batch in a temperature controlled fridge set at 65 +- 1 deg. I am wanting to do a different batch each week until I get a supply up. This has been the first time I have been this aggressive and just started using the fridge recently. My question is this. If I put a new LBK in the fridge, should I move the temperature probe to the new LBK or just leave it alone? I know the new LBK will get warmer once it gets going, so my thought was to move it, but not sure if I am correct in my thinking. I believe most of these recipes call for US-04 or US-05, just to give a frame of reference.

Mike

The temp difference could be ~8F. So if you have the new batch at 65 that could potentially put the older batch at 57F. Not enough to kill the yeast but enough to put it to sleep. However, you are stressing the yeast. The Mr. Beer recipes aren't boiled and don't include grains...They are simple enough to make both at one time and ferment both in the same chamber. I guess you could put one in a cooler with ice packs or frozen water bottles until both batches stabilize. Defeats the purpose though.

The new batch should get the probe. The older batch will be mostly done fermenting and will be fine at 65. Put the new batch lower in the fridge because heat rises.

• Like 1

Friday I am doing 4 batches one after another (all on the same day). All of them use the standard Mr Beer yeast and they all have WDA as the main HME. Any concerns here I should be worried about? I plan on just throwing the probe on a lower shelf LBK and set A419 to 65 degrees.

Brew On!!!

I would put your probe on the middle shelf, so it's 65. Less temp variance on the other LBKs.  You might see a few degrees difference between top and bottom shelves.

• Like 1