Mr.Beer Community
1side4

Northwest Pale Ale not pale

2nd batch made the North west pal ale, fermented for 3 weeks and carbonated for 4 weeks. First bottled I tried carbonated nice but it seemed to be a little darker then a pale ale and had a little bit more of a malt taste to it. Since then I let the batch age another two weeks and have tried 2 more bottles and it still seems darker then it should be and more of a malt taste to it. What did I do wrong this time? Going to try one more batch of something and hope this will turn out better.

There is a lot of information missing here for us to try to help.

I like dark beer but did it taste cidery or have an off aroma? 3 / 4 is the perfect combination provided that all other conditions were observed during the production.

Ferment temp, Conditioning temp and refrigerator time prior to drinking.

strong Klausen or none, just a lot of variables to consider here.

It does sound like the CD though "I MADE BEER"

Cheers, M

if it tastes good... who cares what color it is?  I am not so much a beer snob that I would refuse a beer if it didn't exactly match style guidelines.... nor would I refuse a beer offered in a plastic cup rather than a stein or pint glass or .....

color variances are usually due to prolonged heat in the kettle, and sometimes the age of the ingredients.  you could have got an older can of malt....when I do 5 gallon batches they sometimes call for 'late additions' of the extract in order to preserve the color.  all adding them from the start would do is cause a little more darkening due to kettle caramelization of the wort sugars. no big deal.

more maltiness might be due to not adding the right amount of water to your lbk. 

don't give up.  "one more batch of something' sounds like you are getting discouraged and are about to walk away from the hobby. try a few more kits without expectations of greatness.... then if you still feel this way, walking away might be the thing to do. if a hobby isn't fun or challenging it isn't worth the aggrevation.

• Like 1

My brews are always darker than commercial for the style. I think it is just a factor of using canned HME. And the older the malt is apparently the darker it gets - so it is not totally predictable anyway.

But they taste fine :lol:

• Like 2

Extract beers seem to generally be darker than all grain brews (same styles of course). Aged extract can darken even more so, plus boiling of extract as Nickfixit mentioned can darken your beer.

My advice: Don't sweat it. 

As far as the malty taste goes this is also kind of an "extract thing." Specifically canned Hopped Malt Extract generally doesn't carry as much fresh hop flavor and aroma forward to the finished beer as using a full or partial boil kit with a hop schedule.

Doing a flameout hop addition to your can of NWPA or dry hopping in the LBK (or both) will send the malt to back and bring the hops forward. you could also use a small amount of white granulated sugar to dry the beer out some, this will help the hops shine through a bit more.

• Like 1

I currently have  NW Pale fermenting with added Mandarin Bavaria Hops - hopefully will taste orangey - have not trued them before. I have also added Cascade to it successfully.

Saphir hops gives a tangerine flavor(and after all what are tangerines? Nothing but oranges shipped from the port of Tangier.)

Well, to the purist, yes they are shipped from Tangiers, but they are a different shape and taste from regular oranges. :D

But - I have not tried Saphir hops, maybe next - thanks, good hint.

Did you try them? In what? What result?

I use them in Jim's American Wheat I use 10g(5.6 Alpha) at 20 and at 5min.. I get a good tangerine flavor and aroma. I suspect using sweet orange peels would probably fool our taste buds into a true orange flavor.

If it tastes good, the hops are probably easier since you have to hop it anyway.

Northwest Pale Ale is an India Pale made with hops from the northwest.

Hmm.  Can't they grow Saphir or Mandarin Bavaria in the NW? They could always rename them with rugged outdoorsy names - lol. 

Are you brewing for competition? No? Then no need to stay with in style guidelines, it's your beer.  i.e. Black IPA (talk about a contradiction in terms )

• Like 1

Northwest Pale Ale is an India Pale made with hops from the northwest.

It's not an IPA. It's a northwest pale ale. They are lower in IBUs than an IPA and they typically don't have as much alcohol (though all our craft series cans are the same ABV).