Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff (Klingdom)

Stepping It Up a Notch!

Congrats on your brew day, I know it took some time. Only thing I see with your picture (and this is no big deal) I would move my probe to the top LBK's. Hot air rises cold air lowers.

• Like 1

Wow, that looks nice. Using a fridge and a external thermostat would definitely solve any temperature control issues during the summer.

• Like 1

Wow, that looks nice. Using a fridge and a external thermostat would definitely solve any temperature control issues during the summer.

Been working here in west central GA for 2 years now(not exactly known as the nations "cool spot")  :D

2 of these LBKs are already foaming to the lid 24 hours later! I wonder if I should go from 65 to 61-62 degrees for a couple days.

They all have a variation of winter dark ale.

1. WDA

2. WDA + robust

3. WDA + robust + booster

4. WDA + smooth + smooth

• Like 1

One other thing I might do is put a small cookie sheet under each LBK, just in case of overflow. That would help keep your other LBKs and bottom of fridge clean (just saying if it was me).

• Like 1

One other thing I might do is put a small cookie sheet under each LBK, just in case of overflow. That would help keep your other LBKs and bottom of fridge clean (just saying if it was me).

I was actually thinking of doing that. The only reason I didn't is because I thoroughly clean the LBKs after every brew anyways so the trays would just be extra cleaning. As far as the freezer goes, nothing a Clorox wipe (or two) won't fix. Keep in mind this is coming from a rookie so after my first blowup I may change my mind. Hahahaha

Really wasn't thinking about clean up after bottling. I was thinking about having to move the LBKs for bottling, those things can get slippery when covered with wort, and if they overflow onto other tanks it just makes it worse. I have a setup somewhat like you and I've had overflow only once, was I ever glad to have had drip pans. Also remember that your fermentation chamber is always humid and if your overflow happens early all that sticky mess will sit a few days or 2 or so weeks this will allow mold to grow so try to wipe it down as good as you can.

Really wasn't thinking about clean up after bottling. I was thinking about having to move the LBKs for bottling, those things can get slippery when covered with wort, and if they overflow onto other tanks it just makes it worse. I have a setup somewhat like you and I've had overflow only once, was I ever glad to have had drip pans. Also remember that your fermentation chamber is always humid and if your overflow happens early all that sticky mess will sit a few days or 2 or so weeks this will allow mold to grow so try to wipe it down as good as you can.

I bottle right where they sit with a bottling wand. I love doing that as there is less trub movement before bottling.

I bottle right where they sit with a bottling wand. I love doing that as there is less trub movement before bottling.

I move mine to the kitchen counter.  Sit on a towel to absorb the condensation drip.  Prop up the spigot side.  Then I let it sit for an hour or 2.

I'm jealous.  I cannot figure out where to stick a mini fridge in our apartment.  Hmmm.. perhaps if I threw out a couple bins of the kid's toys.

• Like 1

2 of these LBKs are already foaming to the lid 24 hours later! I wonder if I should go from 65 to 61-62 degrees for a couple days.

1. WDA

2. WDA + robust

4. WDA + smooth + smooth

So I am past high krausen and I didn't have any blow ups. I did want to share the activity of the high krausen for the newer people as this was the first time i did multi batch.

#3 was overall the most aggressive and had the longest period of krausen. I thought for sure this one was going to blow. The keg was filled to the brim for 2 days. Even now it is the hardest keg to look into with a flashlight because the sides a lined with dry foam.

#4 was a close second. I thought this one would be more aggressive (slightly more sugar to eat).

#1 and #2 where about the same.

One interesting note is that ALL of them filled to the top during high krausen at different times. The only difference was length of time the LBK was in high krausen. I made all 4 of these beers within 3 hours.

So what's the point? Absolutely nothing really. Just sharing my observations as I was peeking into the fermenting chamber daily (kind of like how RickBeer does but he won't admit it).

• Like 5

1. WDA

2. WDA + robust

4. WDA + smooth + smooth

Asking for expert help again...........

I plan on bottling tomorrow @ 19 days. I am going on a RV trip for 5 days tomorrow. Do you think I will be okay? I am sure the WDA will be fine. I am most worried about 3 and 4.

I know, I know.......check the gravity. Well I don't wanna! Haha