Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff (Klingdom)

Any Tips to Seal a Leaky Spigot?

I wasn't too happy with the quality of the 3 LBKs I recieved recently. Where the spigot hole is (where the 2 halves of the LBKs are sealed) the two halves are clearly not even close to being even. 2/3 spigots are leaking. And yes I did my leak test before hand. They are slow leaks and none of them are leaking from the seal. They are not over tightened and installed correctly. They seem to be leaking internally and leaking from the top of the spigot.

Any tricks on sealing these? I have 20 days to go and I'm worried I won't have much beer left. I may have to throw one batch out. I can't keep up with the mess.

Thanks!

I had one LBK like you describe, it leaked where the spigot attaches to the LBK, and I got it replaced. I have no idea how uneven LBK surfaces would make wort come out on a closed spigot, makes no sense.

Sounds like faulty equipment and also sounds like it's not the LBK's fault, it's the spigot construction.   If these are new and you bought them through Mr Beer, I'd put in a ticket on their website and ask for replacements to be sent to you.

I have one older LBK and a new one I just bought.   The older one has the tension spigot and the newer one was the twist valve spigot like what you have.  I haven't used the new one yet, I'll report back as to how it performs after I brew my next batch tonight.

I been using twist spigots since I started in '12 and have had no issues like that. Looks like a bad spigot might've made it past inspection, it happens. Not like they're using "subsafe" requirements.

I don't think the uneven LBK is causing it. I was just surprised that the new ones were uneven. My old one just seems like it was put together evenly.

I am not worried about the equipment getting replaced. Mr Beer has excellent customer service. I am sure they will send a new one. I'm just worried I'll lose my brew.

Thanks guys!

I got 6 and none of them had uneven surfaces, or leaks ( knocking on wood). Just FWIW

I am reading 2 leak things here, I do not see any connection between these 2 kinds of leaks - except for the annoyance factor.

One is about leak from seal where spigot seals to LBK.   I have had this problem due to LBK molding seam being ridged and have solved it by smoothing the high bits off with a craft knife, and also using a garden hose washer (O-ring style) on the spigot outside as well as the original spigot washer on the inside. After this - no leaks. 

The other is I also see leak from spigot itself in the picture in this thread. It looks like from between the bit that turns and the bit that does not. For that it looks to me like a defective spigot and needs to be replaced. Mr B. customer service is generally good about these things and I have had one replaced free myself.  I do not know of a way to fix that at home.

The spigots are 2-piece, the swivel part and the base part.  There are no internal washers or such.  They do come apart, I recommend people take them apart when sanitizing.  They fit very snugly, to get them apart I often have to take a small-bladed screwdriver to pry the opening a bit, then a big bladed one to pop it open.  When you reassemble them they often click together.  I guess it's possible that during assembly they were not put together fully.  

When doing a leak test, I make sure to put at least as much water in the LBKs as there will be wort, if not more, as the weight of the water can show a leak.  I also use a paper towel to thoroughly dry the outside of the LBK by the nozzle first, and then the nozzle after it's mounted (I keep it soaking in sanitizer before assembly and mounting), then let it sit at least 10 minutes and check it carefully - often a leak (at the nozzle mounting point) takes that long to form a drop of water below the spigot (usually on the bottom of the LBK on the seam).

The LBKs are made in a mold, and are not 2 pieces put together (I was told this by Mr. Beer).  If they drill the spigot hole out while the plastic is still too warm, it can distort the plastic area.  In addition, if they don't mold the LBK properly, the seam can be uneven and rough, which some have noted and a simple filing on the outside of the spigot area can smooth the edge.

Mr. Beer's Customer Service has always stood behind their product - if your spigots leak they'll replace them.  If you lose a batch of beer as a result of the leak, they'll replace the ingredients.

The spigots are 2-piece, the swivel part and the base part.  There are no internal washers or such.  They do come apart, I recommend people take them apart when sanitizing.  They fit very snugly, to get them apart I often have to take a small-bladed screwdriver to pry the opening a bit, then a big bladed one to pop it open.  When you reassemble them they often click together.  I guess it's possible that during assembly they were not put together fully.  

In the FWIW department I bought a spigot from my LHBS that apparently was a factory mistake. Upon testing it in my bottling bucket I found it dripped from the spigot it's self (not the hole). Upon dis-assembly I found the handle part came out with 0 effort and would not "snap" when reassembled. The LHBS replaced it, but this is to show sometimes weird stuff just happens.

Yes, the LBKs are molded, and it is the mold that is in 2 parts that come apart to get the LBK out. The problem is that the 2 mold parts do not fit together seamlessly and so have a ridge or change in level at the join (maybe they are worn after a lot of production?) 

I think this could have been avoided by having the spigot hole totally in one part of the mold.

I used to brew in a bucket, but I would put the wort in a plastic bag in the bucket thus hoping to keep it sterile.  Sort of like a bucket bed-liner.

Well to be honest - it did ferment -  but it was pretty awful beer.

It used a 2 gal kit from the UK  Drug Store "Boots" so who knows what the quality was. They were into homebrew kits with extracts etc and some all grain prepackaged, and that was around 1966.