Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
THatch

Bottling interruptus... Advice please!

I have bottled 12 bottles of the Aztec +1 lb pale malt +1 lb booster +1 cup table sugar. I read the original gravity at 1.068. I am bottle priming and cold crashed the lbk for 3 days. It was in the cabinet for 3 weeks.

After bottling 12 I remembered I wanted to do a hydrometer reading and did, and it was around 1.018.

My question: shouldn't it be lower than that before I bottle? And if so, are those 12 bombs waiting to explode? And if so, can I pour that back into the LBK (with the little extra sugar) and return it to the cabinet to warm up, and pretend this never happened?

Or is it ok?

If you fermented it for 3 weeks, it should be fine. Some of the refills will stay around 1.012 to 1.018 depending on the recipe. After 3 weeks, I seriously doubt the gravity will go down any lower.

Also, don't forget to do your hydrometer temperature correction for an accurate reading.

No you cannot pour it back.

You likely made a batch of crappy tasting beer with all those additions. What was your goal?

FG should have been around what it was.

RickBeer- well my goal was to mix all that up and see what it tastes like. I will say, judging by the taste from the hydrometer tube, it won't be bad. What I have learned, and will carry this on, is not to add so much table sugar. I added too much to a Bavarian wheat and now know what "it dries out your beer" means. I didn't before, now I do, and I can taste it at the end of this Aztec, too. But it will be ok.

You also added way too much adjuncts to the malt and took a 1.87 pound hopped malt extract and added 3 pounds of stuff to it, thereby basically neutralizing the hops.

I would expect a very cidery/green brew for months. I suggest you look into brewing software such as QBrew.

• Like 1

And it was a very lightly hopped extract at that. You might get away with that better if you used an extract with high IBU - but unless you want it to taste dry, use malt extract not sugar. I just made an experiment splitting a seasonal size can into 2 brews but it had an IBU of > 40 before I started.

• Like 1

1.018 seems about right for an OG of 1.068 - at 75% attenuation, it would reach 1.017, so close enough. I doubt you'll see any bottle-bombs.

Good luck with your "Frankenbrew"! It will take a little while longer to condition, but I imagine it will be fine.

The Aztec is one of my favorites but I did not get too extreme with the batch.

The Added table sugar no/no and the booster plus LME might need hopping because of the lost flavor. It will be cider strong and tart but like others are suggesting it might need extra conditioning.

I hit the boosters hard and figured out that better beer comes with less ABV but within your limitations. Florida Beer is around 5% what I am accustomed to. So I aim for 4-8 ABV normally.

Cheers

• Like 1