Mr.Beer Community
BigSteve

Plastic and glass bottle ?

Hi,

Two questions:

1) How many times can I use the plastic bottles that came with my kit?  I'm wondering if the caps start to leak after a number of bottling cycles.

2) I drink Rolling rock.  The caps twist off very nicely.  Can I use these bottles and screw the caps back down?  Or should I use new caps and the gizmo that snaps them down on a bottle?

Thanks.

PS, I do know I'll have to adjust the carbonation sugar for the smaller bottles.

These questions are asked often on the forum.

1) Until they leak. Use soda bottle caps, like those that come on 2 liter bottles, to replace them. I'm up to 6 uses on mine with no issues.

2) No you cannot use screw caps. No, you should NOT use screw top bottles, as they may not seal, or the necks may break. No, you should not use green bottles like Rolling Rock.

• Like 3

I just started Rolling Rock as it started appearing in the budget light section in the store. 4 / 16 oz cans but it is a good tasting brew. No substitute for Killians or Yengerling though. Enjoy!!

For bottling we discourage reusing any twist off glass bottles and the seals will leak sooner or later on plastic PET bottles. I use PET and pop top  but finding Glass and capping more efficient in the long run.

Others might like the PET plastic bottles because of volume.

All The Best, M

• Like 1

I had a buddy serve me a bottle of his home-brew and when we uncapped it it turned out to be a twist off he had reused.  Everything was fine with it but I think you want to eliminate ANY variables that might reduce your yield. 

I like the PET bottles because of the ease of sanitation.  After I drink my beer from them I rinse the PET bottle out well, spray the inside and cap threads with Starsan, cap and shake coating the insides completely.  I store it with the Starsan in it and when it comes time to refill I just dump out the Starsan and fill.  It's so much faster than any other bottling procedure I use.  I use the same method for flip-tops.

• Like 1

I like the PET bottles as less bottles to fill, no bombs, and screw top. Easy to sanitize and use :-)

• Like 1

I would not advise storing bottles with sanitizer in it . NO rinse once activated only lasts a few days and is certainly not effective weeks later. After drinking your beer rinse the bottle several times with warm to hot water , add a half of a teaspoon of craftmeister  oxygenated cleaner or the equivalent. Fill the bottle with warm/hot water cap it and lay on its side overnight. Empty it the next day and rinse it out 4 or 5 times, then let it dry on an angle. Once dry, store it upright without the cap until your ready to use it.

Sanitize all bottles on bottling day only

If you continue to store the bottles with sanitizer in them for extended periods of time (especially plastic ) the sanitizer will weaken the bottle and could possibly affect the taste of your beer.

Starsan would take years to weaken a PET bottle (it comes in a plastic bottle after all as does coke) and it's very effective and fine to store as it last a long time.  The small amount it needs to sanitize is easily dumped when it comes time and foaming is minimal as it has had time to chill out.  I suppose the tiny amount phosphoric acid left might be discernable to a super taster I cannot detect it and it's far far less than is in a can of coke.

• Like 1