Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdrake

Cans are a bit swollen

I was getting ready to make Novacaine this morning when I took the plastic lids off the cans.  2 of the 3 cans appear to be a bit swollen.  Both cans have December 2015 expiration dates on the bottom so they should be good (Mr. Beer guarantee???).  They're St. Patricks (worse of the 2) and American Ale.

Look at the picture.  Would you consider these HMEs to still be good?  Would you still make the beer?

post-64607-0-51280600-1433615665_thumb.j

If the sides are dented that could push out the bottom. If not, maybe a big drop?

Sides aren't dented.  When I push on where the can in bent outwards, there's no pressure behind it.

If you were me, would you make the beer? 

Those dents are from shipping I've seen them many times.  When you receive cans of HMEs with plastic caps always check underneath them for a yeast packet and to make sure they're not dented. If they are tell MB immediately and they'll usually replace them. They should be fine to make

still,  tell Mr B customer service and see what they say. I don't think they should look like that.

still,  tell Mr B customer service and see what they say. I don't think they should look like that.

Josh, are you still on here?  What do you say?

It's tough to tell from the images. Are the bottoms bulging, too? If not, it's probably OK to use. If when opening them, you hear the distinct sound of pressure being released, you may want to avoid using these. I've never seen bulging cans that are before the best by date.

It's tough to tell from the images. Are the bottoms bulging, too? If not, it's probably OK to use. If when opening them, you hear the distinct sound of pressure being released, you may want to avoid using these. I've never seen bulging cans that are before the best by date.

I opened them and began making the Novacaine on Saturday.  Only the soft can lid on the yeast packet side was bulging a bit.  But no pressure behind it.  When I opened all 3 HME cans (even the one without bulging), there was a small hiss.  I guess in 3 weeks I'll have a better idea whether the bulging can was an issue if my Novacaine is garbage.  But then again, Novacaine is designed to have a really potent taste, so how will I know?

If I find I have something bad in 3 weeks, is there any kind of guarantee in place?  Someone via the Mr. Beer Facebook page told me the cans were good, so I went ahead and opened them to make Novacaine.

If there was no hint of mold on the extract and it didn't smell sour, they're probably fine. There may have been a small bit of expansion during shipping due to heat. But with those Best By dates, I highly doubt they're spoiled.

I really would expect every HME can to have a small hiss when the can opener first goes into it.  It's a liquid inside and every liquid has some dissolved air inside of it.  The instructions say to take the HME can and put it in hot water before opening it to help the liquid pour better.  Adding heat will only increase the pressure on the dissolved air inside the can.

I smelled the wort of the swollen can and it seemed to smell ok.  But I don't have a lot of experience smelling HME cans and it's the St. Patricks, so too dark to tell if there's any mold.  Anyway, I'll know what I have in 3 weeks.

There is enough hops in the ST P to kill anything so I would just brew it - lol.

A couple of my cans were dented in shipping, I store them in the fridge

One is carbing week 7 and one is in the LBK with more to come. Put unused HME in the fridge until brewing day.

My LHBS almost gives away the HME when expiring and I use it for Adjuncts. The Quality is noticable.

That HME should be fine