Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
llwwll

Maybe A Dumb Question?

I just bought another kit from Sears that was on a good sale...$20.00....I maybe made a mistake there? I opened the kit and all of the bottles etc. was there..However the kit had the american clasic but the date on the bottom of the can was: Best before 09. Apr. 2015 and it is now 07 Jun 2015..."Now MY dumb Question"

Can this still be used? or should I just throw it away?......Sorry guy's but I am very new to this hobby. In two more weeks I can maybe see how my first batch turns out, it's now in the fridge waiting for the time period to be able to drink.... Again "A Big Thanlks"

people use older than that. most likely you will be fine. Do a visual inspection and smell test when it comes time to add it to the wort water.

I just bought another kit from Sears that was on a good sale...$20.00....I maybe made a mistake there? I opened the kit and all of the bottles etc. was there..However the kit had the american clasic but the date on the bottom of the can was: Best before 09. Apr. 2015 and it is now 07 Jun 2015..."Now MY dumb Question"

Can this still be used? or should I just throw it away?......Sorry guy's but I am very new to this hobby. In two more weeks I can maybe see how my first batch turns out, it's now in the fridge waiting for the time period to be able to drink.... Again "A Big Thanlks"

You should remove your beers from the frig.  We recommend 3 weeks fermenting in the LBK, and then 4 weeks in bottles for carbonating and conditioning at room temp, THEN put in the frig only what you'll be drinking 3 days later.  

The frig stops the yeast from working, and the beer stops conditioning.

• Like 1

The hme in the kit will still be fine. It will get darker as it ages, but since it was April I don't believe it will have much of an impact yet. I bought a European kit at Kmart a couple of weeks ago with the same issue. It is still fermenting but everything seemed to work fine.