Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rick N

Munich Malt Monster--How long?

I just put a batch of Munich malt monster on to brew. The instructions said to ferment for two weeks. I have been fermenting my brews for three weeks and they seem to do very well. (I think that RickBeer uses this method and that's where I got it from)  I ferment at 70 degrees. Will two weeks be enough or should I go for longer before I start to test with my hygrometer?

Rick N.

3 weeks is safe but if you take readings and they do not change over a 3 day period then one can bottle earlier.  There will still be some cleaning up that will be done by the yeast that will improve the taste.  So you might as well wait the full 3 weeks unless it is a low OG recipe.

If it's a high-gravity beer, I keep it in primary for almost 4 weeks. Just to make sure the yeast chewed through everything, as I had my Novacaine keep a nice krausen going for over 2 full weeks, and I pitched an entire packet of US-05 into that sucker. 

That's just my MO, however. 

:)

Yeah, I have had stronger ones that maybe were not done at 3 weeks and I got more carbonation than I expected.

On the other hand, the basic refills are probably done at 2 weeks at 70 deg. - thus the kit instructions.

Unless I miscalculate, now though I give them 3 weeks, and maybe I will start doing 4 for the stronger ones as suggested.

I thank you for you sage advice and I will start testing the gravity at three weeks.

Adding the US-05 sounds like the way to go if I want it to achieve it's full potential.

Thanks folks.

Just remember that different yeasts might have different temperature tolerances. You could pitch two packs of Mr. Beer yeast (to be on the safe side) and have great results whereas if you pitched US-05 and kept the brew at those same temps, you might run into some off-flavours. Same with Nottingham - apparently you can keep wort temps low (like 60° F) and get a clean ferment or if you let them get to 68 or so, it gives of an "English ester-y" taste, at least so I've seen it written, anyway.