Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
shall

Booster and LME's

I'm new to brewing and the deluxe kit I ordered came with two cans of extract with no boosters.  When you order the kits online they come with a booster pack and even some also come with a LME but mine didn't.  Not 100% sure what they do and why they are needed or not.  Sorry if this has already been answered before.

They increase your fermentables increasing the abv but not so much the taste (well the LME might).  2 cans of HME will make a strong brew and you probably don't need the LME/ boosters

Welcome to the club!! :lol:

Booster adds mouth feel, better head retention, and about 1% alcohol more per pack and no color of taste changes.

LME/DME adds mouth feel, better head retention, some color and flavor depending on the specific pack, and also about 1% added ABV per pack.

The standard cans in the start kit will make pretty light tasting beer, but also will mature more quickly.

I suggest you don't use 2 cans of HME unless you like your beer really bitter, really strong (6-7%), and want to wait longer for it to mature in the bottles.

Try the standard refills/recipes first to see how you like them before modifying.

Many folks try things and get disappointed and stop brewing because of bad outcome.  

If you follow the instructions carefully you are pretty much guaranteed drinkable beer.

The only suggestion that is pretty standard on the forum is to ferment for 3 weeks, and then leave it for 4 weeks in the bottles at room temp before chilling and drinking. After 4 weeks in the bottle, it will continue to improve but you may just like it and drink it anyway  ;) .

It may not be your favorite style yet but that you can take care of later using different recipes.

There are many standard refills to try. The "deluxe" version will be more malty tasting.

Each refill/recipe has description indicating how bitter (IBU) and alcoholic (ABV) and color (SRM) it is. 

There are some recipes that use 2 cans of HME but not many.

Browse the Mr B site, watch the videos, and read a lot of this forum. You will find out a lot.

If you post here what kinds of commercial beer you like best, I am sure folks here will suggest Mr Beer recipes that will come close.

This is a real friendly and helpful forum.

• Like 1

I took it as he bought a kit (with HMEs, bottles, etc.), and it came with two cans of extract, not that he was going to make a batch using two cans of the HME.

• Like 1

Anyway, now he has the answers to lot of questions - even some he did not ask ;) .

• Like 1

I'm new to brewing and the deluxe kit I ordered came with two cans of extract with no boosters.  When you order the kits online they come with a booster pack and even some also come with a LME but mine didn't.  Not 100% sure what they do and why they are needed or not.  Sorry if this has already been answered before.

If you ordered a Deluxe kit, it should have come with a can of HME and a pouch of LME (or whatever the webstore shows - usually LME).  If not, call customer service and tell them what you ordered and what you received.  If you received the wrong thing(s), I bet they will make it right and you'll probably (almost certainly) get to keep what you have.

Or he can brew it as is using just one can HME alone, and get a fast fermenting, fast maturing  light beer in the low 3%'s .

HME itself is all you need to make a good brew. Not sure why MB is selling extract kits with Booster now other than its an easy way to raise ABV. When I started brewing many people on the forum suggested to stay away from adjuncts such as booster.... I didn't listen and used it a few times. Given the results I've gotten I'd reccomend you brew the HME or if you want more ABV add DME or LME.

Just my opinion but I now stay away from booster.

I agree you can make a good beer with just the HME, but still I make some beers with booster, some with LME and some with both and some with neither - using the HME straight up.

The results are different and as I like a big variety, this suits me.

If you have not brewed before, I would say try recipes both ways and make what you like again.

I like the booster in the lighter beers to give more body and head retention but not add to maltiness (which suppresses the bitterness). For me it works well with CAL, Canadian Blonde and Aztek.

But I also will make those with more malt on occasion.

IS ANYONE READING THE FOLLOW-UP POSTS? (Besides Mr. RickBeer, anyway...)

What we have here is a failure to communicate. Ha Ha. It didn't help that the OP didn't return.

• Like 2

WOW  Thank you everyone for the replys.  I have been watching vidios and reading the posts.  I'm getting more educated every day.  I have the two batches going now, 2weeks in.  I ordered a hydromitor recently so I will start taking readings now.  With just the HME in my LBK my brew may be done, as soon as I get the hydromitor I will check the reading and posibly bottle. I think I'm beginning to understand the way the refills work.

Standard=light quick beer

Standard w/booster= slightly stronger,little thicker-heavier taste and feel.

Standard w/LME=Hoppyer/stronger beer flavor.

Still not sure if you would use both booster and LME together.

You're a little off on the definitions.

There are FOUR types of refills (Hopped Malt Extract) that Mr. Beer sells.  Standard, Deluxe, Craft, and Seasonal.  Prior to a few weeks ago, the difference was in the amount of MALT that was included in the can or with the can.  Standard is a 1.87lb can, which made a 3.1% brew.  Craft (yes, I skipped Deluxe for now) was a 2.87(?, weight not listed that I see any longer) lb can, so there was more malt and more hops to go with it, making a 5% brew.  Seasonal brews are bigger cans (not all the same size, making an even higher ABV beer.

Note - we chase FLAVOR, not ABV, and as they go up in size they go up in flavor.

Deluxe USED to be any of the Standard or Craft Series PLUS a 0.55lb pouch of LME (liquid malt extract).  Adding more malt makes the beer more malty (wow, how did I figure that out?) and a higher ABV.  Some LME adds a bit of flavor also (there are FOUR types of LME sold by Mr. Beer, all explained on their respective product pages).

So that's how it was.

A few weeks ago, Mr. Beer reverted to old behavior.  That is, pre-being bought by Coopers in 2012, Mr. Beer sold smaller cans of HME PLUS a pouch of booster.  Booster is a bunch of "stuff" (sugars, maltodextrin, kitchen sink, old shoes) that increase the ABV and mouthfeel of the brew and give it more head.  They included booster because their very small cans of HME produced beers close to 2% ABV, so the booster was needed to reach 3%.  When Coopers bought them, they chucked the old products, came out with new better products, and booster was relegated to the "Other Ingredients You Can Buy" page.

Apparently Mr. Beer realized that people aren't loving the 3.1% brews, so NOW they include a pouch of booster with the standard refills, which would raise the ABV to 4.1%.  That's a new change.  So now you get the better products PLUS the booster packet, which got included for no additional charge.

There are quite a few recipes that use both booster and LME.  

Me, I never liked the few batches I did with booster, including several with booster and LME.  That's my personal preference.  I assume Mr. Beer did their research before making this change, and feel it's for the better.  You can of course make any of the brews with, or without, the pouch of booster.  Your choice.  

Thank you 

My next batch I will add the booster and see what I think.  Then the next batch I will add the LME pouch and see if I like that.  Small steps.

• Like 1

Thank you 

My next batch I will add the booster and see what I think.  Then the next batch I will add the LME pouch and see if I like that.  Small steps.

NO!  You're supposed to go bat-sh#! crazy and do all sorts of stupid stuff, not be logical and compare things!   :o   OH MY GOD!

Welcome to homebrewing.  You'll last.    ;)

• Like 3

• "My next batch I will add the booster and see what I think.  Then the next batch I will add the LME pouch and see if I like that.  Small steps."

Next step after that -  is to add both - lol

Welcome to your new obsession. 

Enjoy your deluxe kit . You now can make two 2 gallon batches!

After a bit, you will just throw in all the part used bags of stuff you have left - which is what I did with the 2 batches I made from the Belgian Spiced Ale HME Seasonal can without the spices.  I had several partly used Briess DME bags so I just put them in and also put in booster, and some more hops. SO when he mentions going Bat Guano crazy, I guess it must be a bit like what I did. I do have confidence that I will make drinkable beers, although I cannot predict the exact flavor at this moment. :o

There are FOUR types of refills (Hopped Malt Extract) that Mr. Beer sells.  Standard, Deluxe, Craft, and Seasonal.  Prior to a few weeks ago, the difference was in the amount of MALT that was included in the can or with the can.  Standard is a 1.87lb can, which made a 3.1% brew.  Craft (yes, I skipped Deluxe for now) was a 2.87(?, weight not listed that I see any longer) lb can, so there was more malt and more hops to go with it, making a 5% brew.  Seasonal brews are bigger cans (not all the same size, making an even higher ABV beer.

So that's how it was.

A few weeks ago, Mr. Beer reverted to old behavior.  That is, pre-being bought by Coopers in 2012, Mr. Beer sold smaller cans of HME PLUS a pouch of booster.  Booster is a bunch of "stuff" (sugars, maltodextrin, kitchen sink, old shoes) that increase the ABV and mouthfeel of the brew and give it more head.  They included booster because their very small cans of HME produced beers close to 2% ABV, so the booster was needed to reach 3%.  When Coopers bought them, they chucked the old products, came out with new better products, and booster was relegated to the "Other Ingredients You Can Buy" page.

RickBeer,

Please clarify for me, I am slightly confused. Above you said that the standard can (1.87lb) should make a 3.1% brew. Then you stated that they included booster because their very small cans produced beers close to 2% ABV, so the booster was needed. Does that mean that there is a can smaller than 1.87lb?

Scouterbill

Prior to the Coopers product changeover in 2012, the base can of HME contained 1.21 pounds. They were clearanced out at 5.00 per can early Fall 2012.

• Like 1

I managed to buy a few of the old small cans cheap on Amazon last year but have not seen any since. I used them and they made beer just fine.