Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zoot Horn Rollo

How much do you give away?

I've got three LBK's going off for a estimated total of about 6 gallons of beer, No way am I going to drink it all. After all, I have my girlish figure to maintain. Just wondering how much of your brew do you give away. I myself have at least three takers who will relieve me of at least 6 750ml bottles of the stuff. More, if I turns out good.(they're not too picky)  You know, with just donating one bottle per batch we can feed the world with liquid bread. Making the world a better place through home brewing. Now nominate me for a nobel peace prize.

Best, Zoot

I give away very little - but I do supply occasional mixed 6 packs ( of PET bottles) for my daughter and her friends who seem to like it. 

So I have to drink most of it. Lately it has been a problem as the beers have needed longer maturation times so the "ready to drink" stache is getting rather low. So I currently have 4 LBKs going.  

Don't hold onto that girlish figure idea too strenuously - it is tough to keep as the years go by. I have not seen 36-24-36 for 30 years when I was in running trim.

Oh - and as for feeding the world, great idea. But we have problems shipping even state to state. So maybe we just mail out packets of dried yeast. Those whose religion forbids beer can make bread instead or brew in secret. 

• Like 1

Hey, Nick....those pounds do tend to creep up over the years, don't they?  If anyone's interested, I can post pictures from one of my submarine commands (USS Francis Scott Key SSBN 657...Gold Crew) of a still we fashioned from a coffee pot that we distilled bilge wine in. Where there's a will there's a way. If we could do it with  canned fruit juice, yeast, sugar, and poly bottles, then there's no reason for anyone to be "dry". And Nick, those were nice measurments that you had in your prime...real nice!!! (Please, let Nick not be a lady IRL....in which case I apologize profusely).

Best, Zoot

• Like 1

LOL  not a Lady (or even female) - I was skinny then - 6' 1" and 160 lb.

I don't give away much - a couple of bottles here and there. However, I do share with friends when they are visiting. I stock the fridge with a few different varieties and all have gone over very well.

I still have my gfigure intact.  I cannot, for the life of me, put on weight. Regardless, I offer a beer to anyone who comes over so that's 2-4 beers per week.  I bottle swap with the guys at work but that's 3 - 6 bottles per month and I get equal amounts in return.  There's a monthly bottle swap at the LHBS so thats 2 bottles there.  When family comes to visit for extended times that's when I go through the most and my pipeline gets wrecked.  I brew on average 3.3 gallons per week trying to get a pipeline filled.

Give away? Not much mostly just A 6 pack to my brother a couple times a year. Share? Most of it.

• Like 2

Give away?  What does this give away mean?  

I give a six here and there, maybe a total of a case a year.  Gave each of my sons a case at Christmas.  Of course share with company.  But by and large, it's me and SWMBO drinking it, and the youngest now home prior to moving out for the job he needs to get.

Initially I gave away a dozen or so 12 oz bottles in exchange for people collecting empty bottles for me and my seeking out their opinions about the quality of the beer.  But I found that they don't give me any feedback so I don't see the point of giving it away.

• Like 2

I do a lot of sharing...  If I'm at a party or if people are over, a few bottles are shared around.  I also share some at craft brew bottle shares (I generally take one bomber of homebrew along with whatever commercial beer I'm bringing).  I also share at a few of the breweries a bit to get hard opinions.  Finally, I do a lot of ship and swaps with borg friends.  I'd say I drink 75% of what I brew, but that's just a guess.

Share!?!? Man you guys make me feel like ?#%#! I never let a bottle leave my site. I share with people who stop by to visit (family & friends). But maybe I'm too attached. I was thinking about brewing for a gift but I have 6 cases maturing at different times and I can't even keep up with myself.......

I used to share tester bottles with a guy at work. lately though I don't.

family and maybe 3 friends Enjoy my beer. I tell them to be brutally honest and let them know what I think of each beer I make.  For instance, Have a Honey Maibock ready for drinking.  I told them that it's a bit sweet, I couldn't drink it all night and that it needs to just be sipped on.  They respond with it should go in a brandy snifter.  So I don't give away as much as a I use a "focus group" to figure out what to do better next.  

It's just as I suspected. You guys are all around decent folk. I like Jim Johnson's distinction about sharing as opposed to giving away. It's a small difference but critical. Of course, there probably is that one special batch that turns out to be so outstanding that it's either hoarded or consumed instantly. We're human afterall. It was nice to wake up to this.

Best, Zoot (my wife puts me to bed when I get aggro after blowing the answer in the Final Jeopardy round)

• Like 1

I'm planning on sharing my first four bottles. Don't think I'll be giving my beer away though.

I often give a bottle to close friends as birthday presents. All I ask in return is honest feedback. 

I'm the resident "office brewer" so I give away about 1/3 of every batch, which is good lately because I have been brewing ALOT and I probably shouldn't try to kill my liver.

• Like 1

I gave 2 bottles to our  beer expert at  a local big store last year. He liked the Diablo with Cascade dry hop and his wife liked the Oktoberfest I made from a grain kit I was given by a co-worker when I left work last year.

It was a TruBrew kit making 5 gal so I made it up to 6 gal by adding 1 lb Briess Amber DME and split it  across 3 LBKs. Turned out to be a fine easy drinking beer - pretty light.

I'm not really experienced enough to give away any beer, although I did give a 1 Liter bottle of American Ale to my father-in-law. He said, the more he drank it the more he liked it, ;-). And he returned the empty bottle, yay! I normally share my brews with whomever is at the house, though.

I traded and gave away quite a few of my first batches with guys at work.  One lets me in his garden every summer so he is about to get his own batch of That Voodoo That You Do or Sugar On Top IPA.  He really liked both.  Two guys here at work make mead, so they got some for some mead.  When my mead is ready, they'll get some of it.  Other folks who I know like beer got some so I could get some input into my brewing.  All have been received well, so I forged on.  I need to get a few batches going with short maturation times as I have a few in bottles that need to stay there for months, not weeks.  The wheats sure mature fast, so maybe some more of them, and the SOT IPA is another quick drinker, so maybe a batch of that for me.

Alas, the plight of the homebrewer...

• Like 1

I am actually currently trying to figure out an easy way to give away beer....but retain my bottles.  That is my issue.  Bottles are not free or cheap to come by (they can be but not always).  I have a friend coming to stay at the house next week (for a beer festival) and planned to give him some of my home brew in exchange for fresh picked blackberries and eggs from his chickens.  He lives 5 hours away....I cannot bring myself to ask him to mail me the empty bottles back :(  I want to, but I won't.  

I think eventually once I get enough stock, I will tell anyone who wants some, you can take one beer for every empty bottle you leave in it's place.  This way I always have somewhere to put new beer once it's born!

Yes.  You trade 2 empties they were going to recycle anyway for each beer you give away.  They will be glad to help you out.

I trade my beer for sex with a neighbor who's blind, I tell her its an aged pilsner I have but since she can't see, the can says Pabst Blue Ribbon on it so I get off pretty cheap!

• Like 1

I am actually currently trying to figure out an easy way to give away beer....but retain my bottles.  That is my issue.  Bottles are not free or cheap to come by (they can be but not always).  I have a friend coming to stay at the house next week (for a beer festival) and planned to give him some of my home brew in exchange for fresh picked blackberries and eggs from his chickens.  He lives 5 hours away....I cannot bring myself to ask him to mail me the empty bottles back :(  I want to, but I won't.  

I think eventually once I get enough stock, I will tell anyone who wants some, you can take one beer for every empty bottle you leave in it's place.  This way I always have somewhere to put new beer once it's born!

Zoot,

I'll send you a case of bottles for a case of beer. :)  :P

• Like 1

Zoot,

I'll send you a case of bottles for a case of beer. :)  :P

I may consider that some day and I actually could pick up the bottles too since I get down to the Mt. Vernon area a couple times a years.  I live/work in Chicago but am an auditor by trade and travel around the state regularly.  

None.  I'll never get the bottles back and if I do they'll probably be ripe with fuzzy growth.    My friends and I have a regular poker game and basketball watch parties, there are plenty of opportunities for me to share my product and they are thankful for the gesture.   I thank that's fair.

Me: "Would you like some of my beer?"

Friend: "Sure."

Me: "Are you beer worthy"?

Friend: "What"?

Me: "Go away.  You answered the question."  

For those that don't know what beer worthy means...

• Like 1

just found out a coworker home brews.  Gave him a Rockets Red Glare, he gave me a White beer.  he's been buying from the local store, doing 5 gal. extracts.  Gonna be nice to compare notes and swap some beers!

:)

At one time I had four homebrewers at the office.  I'm now down to two, but it is still fun to occasionally swap/share/critique...

• Like 2

I may consider that some day and I actually could pick up the bottles too since I get down to the Mt. Vernon area a couple times a years.  I live/work in Chicago but am an auditor by trade and travel around the state regularly.  

mafifer,

I just noticed I called you Zoot. My apologies! :unsure:  Synapses aren't firing like they used to, graveyard shifts at the hospital, too much beer. :huh: Take your pick. You find yourself down in Southern Illinois (Mount Vernon way) and the first round is on me!!! ;)

mafifer,

I just noticed I called you Zoot. My apologies!

Hey scouter....what the heck is wrong with calling someone Zoot? I...I...I..am incensed and deeply insulted. Gendarmes, arrest this so-called Scouterbill  and ban him straight away from responding to any further missives of mine. Pearls before swine, indeed. :P

Best, Zootalou

Hey scouter....what the heck is wrong with calling someone Zoot? I...I...I..am incensed and deeply insulted. Gendarmes, arrest this so-called Scouterbill  and ban him straight away from responding to any further missives of mine. Pearls before swine, indeed. :P

Best, Zootalou

Somehow I've offended the forum God's. Have mercy on my brew!!!! :o

Somehow I've offended the forum God's. Have mercy on my brew!!!! :o

Forum God? That's stretching it a bit. But not by much! As my first official act of benevolence, I bestow upon you a benediction. "May your krausen be high, your trub be low. Further, may your caps be strong lest ye perish by bottle bomb and, finally....may your ABV knock your everlovin' socks off".

Best, Zoot

Out of 8 coworkers 4 of us are now home brewing.  3 extract brewers and 1 all grain.  We have a pretty fun bottle swap every few weeks but the all grain brewer has yet to share his results as he hasn't been happy with his beers LOL.

• Like 1

Forum God? That's stretching it a bit. But not by much! As my first official act of benevolence, I bestow upon you a benediction. "May your krausen be high, your trub be low. Further, may your caps be strong lest ye perish by bottle bomb and, finally....may your ABV knock your everlovin' socks off".

Best, Zoot

You assume much, young Padawan! <_<  I was not referring to you as a forum god, but a messenger of their wrath. :blink: I truly appreciate your benediction and am hopeful that the forum God's feel charitable. ;)