Mr.Beer Community
efdbrian

Nice Azacca IIPA - What do you think?

I have 4oz of Azacca Hops, so I decided to come up with my first recipe, an Imperial (double) IPA. It's pretty basic and that's what I wanted. Please critique. I'm a big boy. I can take it and make adjustments.

Note: In order to achieve the target IBU, I plan on adding the DME late in the boil. I will also use a yeast starter. The cane sugar will be added after high krausen in order to achieve as much fermentation as possible.

Nice Azacca Single Hopped IIPA

Method: Partial Mash Style: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 90 min Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
Boil Gravity: 1.013 (recipe based estimate)    
Original Gravity: 1.088
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 9.11%
IBU (tinseth): 98.1
SRM (morey): 10.61

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
9 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) 42 4 75%
1.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 34 40 12.5%
1.5 lb Cane Sugar - (late addition) 46 0 12.5%
Hops
Amount Variety Time AA IBU Type Use
1 oz Azacca Pellet 10.3 Boil 90 min 53.21
0.5 oz Azacca Pellet 10.3 Boil 60 min 24.87
0.5 oz Azacca Pellet 10.3 Boil 20 min 15.06
0.5 oz Azacca Pellet 10.3 Boil 5 min 4.96
1.5 oz Azacca Pellet 10.3 Dry Hop 7 days  
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
2 gal   Infusion 150 F 20 min
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
1 oz irish moss Fining Boil 15 min
Yeast
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Attenuation (avg): 76.5% Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 73 °F Starter: Yes
Fermentation Temp: 66 °F Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / ° P)
  • Like 2

You're going big I see.  If you think you can hold proper temps for the yeast I say go for it.  I don't see much point in doing the 90 min hop boil.  Personally I would go higher AA and use 1 oz for 60 min, it's not like your going to taste that it's Azacca with those boiled times. Keep the .5 at 30-20 min.  Then I would do a whole ounce at flame out knowing it takes me time to cool the wort.

I might take out some of that Caramel 40 and replace it with some Carapils but either way and it's fine.  Most here will tell you to drop the sugar adjunct.  I would as well as I don't think it needs it.

Go big or go home, right? lol

The goal was to keep this to a single hop Azacca IIPA. I could go for a shorter boil, but that will give me a lower IBU. Like I said, go big or go home. :)

I did consider moving to a whole ounce at 5 min or flame out and decreasing the dry hop for more flavor. I might do that.

I know that sugar isn't thought of favorably on this board, however I am intentionally trying to dry out the finished product in order to accentuate the hops characteristics. It is also working to bring down my FG The OG probably isn't accurate since I'm not adding the sugar until after it's in the fermenter, but it's close since I wouldn't be adding it until the end of the boil anyway.

My original recipe did have some Carapils in it with a little less Caramel 40, however I modified it to up the SRM. I could add back the Carapils to increase the body, however I'm trying to keep the FG as low as I can to keep away from a malty IIPA.

Sounds good.  I guess you'll have to report back.  This is almost a SMASH and I've never found my Smashes to be balanced.

I guess I would warn you not to darken your malt with such a long boil.  You might not want to add it all right from the beginning.  But idk I haven't done a 90 min boil.

I guess I would warn you not to darken your malt with such a long boil.  You might not want to add it all right from the beginning.  But idk I haven't done a 90 min boil.

I think I'll be ok since I'm steeping the grains and then removing them, but I'm open to advice from those who have done it.

Your doing your first hops addition with just the steeped grains?

Mostly yes. I haven't done the calculations yet, but I'm probbably going to add some of the DME to bring up the gravity of the wort during the initial part of the boil. The remaning DME will do in with abotu 20-30 minutes left.

Again, I'm open to suggestions. :)

I wouldn't do your initial hops with just the steeped infusion, but I wouldn't put more than 2lbs of DME in for the full 90 minutes either.

Maybe add 2 more lbs at the 60 minute (to go) mark before you add you 60min hops and add the rest at flameout?

Go big or go home, right? lol

The goal was to keep this to a single hop Azacca IIPA. I could go for a shorter boil, but that will give me a lower IBU. Like I said, go big or go home. :)

You can still get higher IBUs with a shorter boil by simply adjusting the amounts used. I always do a 60 minute boil regardless of the style. A 90 minute boil could easily promote grassy off-flavors.

Looks good. Thanks for posting the link to it, I was amazed how many recipes are on that site, even for 2G or less.

• Like 1

I've been wanting to try those hops, let us know how it turns out!

Racked to the secondary today. Gravity reading at this time was 1.010 which was much lower than anticipated. That puts the ABV at 9.98%. The sample from the measurement was of course tasted. It doesn't taste "hot" and has a noticeable citrus flavor. After about a week I'll add another ounce of Azacca hops to dry hop for a week then bottle. Should have a little over 2 cases.

post-65742-0-20195100-1438823711_thumb.j

Only 4 ounces of hops total for a 5-gallon batch of a DIPA?

I would have used that much in the hops-stand alone.

:P

• Like 1

Only 4 ounces of hops total for a 5-gallon batch of a DIPA?

I would have used that much in the hops-stand alone.

:P

I'm sure there will be more next time. This was an initial run. Hop flavor is subtle in the sample. Next time I'll add more for a more pronounced flavor.