Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stratstud

Is my batch ruined?

The can of wort did not dissolve completely in the boiling water, and when I look in the keg I can see a 1/4 inch or so layer of what I believe is undissolved wort. I can still see fermentation happening, but is the batch ruined or can it be salvaged? It has been sitting for about 2 weeks. 

What you probably see at the bottom is the Trub. I cannot see how the HME didn't dissolve completely.  When you pored it in the LBK did you see a layer of syrup on the bottom of your pot?

Also, the water is not supposed to be boiling when you add the can of HME. Boil water, remove from heat, add the can.

Next time, if you see a layer of syrup on the bottom of your pot after you pour into the lbk, add water to the pot and stir the syrup into it and pour it into the lbk. You want to get every drop you can of the HME.

Also, the water is not supposed to be boiling when you add the can of HME. Boil water, remove from heat, add the can.

Next time, if you see a layer of syrup on the bottom of your pot after you pour into the lbk, add water to the pot and stir the syrup into it and pour it into the lbk. You want to get every drop you can of the HME.

I'll use a sanitized rubber spatula to get every ounce out of the can. It works better than anything I've tried before! I am curious If your looked through the side of the keg or took the lid off to look inside?
  • Like 1

I use hot water to swirl around in the can. I don't leave a drop or scraping in the cans.

:)

• Like 3

I use hot water to swirl around in the can. I don't leave a drop or scraping in the cans.

:)

I do the same.

I'll use a sanitized rubber spatula to get every ounce out of the can. It works better than anything I've tried before! I am curious If your looked through the side of the keg or took the lid off to look inside?

I looked through the side of the keg

• Like 1